SR9c carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moo123

Bearcat
hi,
i usually carry a 1911, cocked, chambered.
thinking of changing to my sr9c.
do those that carry it keep the safety on?
thanks,

pat

GKC

Blackhawk
While I don't currently have a SR9c, I have had one in the past...and when I did, yes I did carry it with the safety on. The safety operates similarly to the thumb safety on a 1911, IMO. I have had striker fired pistols without a thumb safety, and I carried them with a round in the chamber; however, I do prefer a thumb safety...IF it works like the ones on a 1911 and the Ruger SR polymer pistols. There are some, like on S&W M&Ps for example, that the thumb safety feels mushy and obtrusive...and I don't care for them.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I carry the SR40c with one in the chamber safety off. I do like it having a safety though, i like to have the safety on when holstering the weapon or when i am shooting one of my Sr pistols at the range.

Bearcat
Yes, raised shooting a 1911 and the thumb sweep is just part of my shooting habit.

GKC

Blackhawk
DonD said:
Safeties failing in a manner that prevents it from firing are, in my opinion, an essentially zero risk. Don't like the safety, don't engage it. Don

The thumb safety on the SR9c (and other SR series pistols) is particularly well designed, IMO. It has the traditional up = safe, down = fire, it engages and disengages very positively, and it isn't so large and/or protrudes that it is likely to engage or disengage accidentally, but at the same time it is just large enough that it can be manipulated when needed. It is reminiscent of a 1911 safety (the old style, not the extended style.)

The safety on the S&W M&P series is a very poor design, in comparison...again, IMO.

mmcarriesSR9c

Bearcat
It sound like a personal preference thing to me. I just got a new SR9c and am currently awaiting my LTCH. When I do begin to carry there will be one in the chamber and the safety will be engaged.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Guess I'm with the majority.
One in the chamber, safety on.

The trigger pull is way too light for me to carry without it. Something I don't like about the Glocks I've fired. Trigger is still pretty light and no safety. Something like an LCP or a Beretta Nano with a long heavyish trigger... I would have no qualms about carrying with no safety.

cluznar

Bearcat
Yep, the SR9c is one excellent carry gun. Carry with one in the chamber and safety on, easy to swipe the safety off while drawing. Ruger got it right with the SR9c and the whole SR line.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
Yep, for me I carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the safety on. I feel more comfortable with it that way since it has such a light (nice) trigger.

lefteye

Bearcat
I will carry my SR9c with one in the chamber and the safety on. The SR9c safety and 1911 are similar but there are very significant differences. The SR9c safety lever is smaller, and the pivot point is higher and further to the rear than any 1911 safety. Even with my small hands I can flip any 1911 safety off or on while gripping the pistol for shooting. With my new SR9c I must move my hand up and to the rear to switch the safety off or on and then return my hand to the grip position for shooting. In other words, the SR9c safety is much more likely to prevent accidental disengagement - but the 1911 has three safeties: the manual safety, the grip safety and it must be cocked to fire (not much of a safety since it should be cocked when carried.) (I have a few 1911's.)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The manual safety on the SR9 is primarily a "rule beater" since some states require one on any handgun. From a true safety standpoint, it's redundent since the inner lever in the trigger is, in effect, a "manual safety" as is the striker block. So, even if you carry with the safety off, the SR9 is just as safe as a Glock, S&W M&P, Kahr or many other guns with no external safety lever.

That said, it is an additional safety feature and, with practice, is easy to learn to wipe-off as the gun is drawn. It also makes the gun a bit proprietary since many children and adults won't know how to disengage it and can't accidentially fire the gun just by pulling the trigger.

Me? I carry with the chamber loaded and the manual safety on. Belt and suspenders.

1bearz

Bearcat
My SR9C is my EDC, 10+1, safety ALWAYS on. When drawing the weapon the thumb takes off the safety as the weapon is being readied for firing.

Hrothgar

Bearcat
One in the chamber with the safety on. It's easy enough to flip off when drawing. Probably don't need it with the trigger safety but I'm comfortable with it.