SR9 Slide Won't Lock Back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fmcgraw

Bearcat
I hope this isn't a duplicate question but search isn't returning any results for me right now. Anyway, lately I've been experiencing numerous issues with the slide not locking back after firing the last round in a magazine. It has happened with numerous brands of ammo (Federal, Remington, PMC - various loads) and with various magazine loads (10, 15, 17 count). Including today I have only 1,350 rounds through the pistol. I recently did a thorough strip and clean but that seems not to have helped. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is it possible I have a spring issue?

Thanks for your help and have a nice weekend.

vacextar

Blackhawk
Will the slide stay locked back if you have an empty mag in and manually rack the slide back? Does it do the same thing with both mags?....the 10 and 17 rounder? From your description I can't tell if you're just using the 17 round mag and loading with different qty of rounds, or if you're using both mags. If it happens with both mags, you can probably rule out a mag problem. Have you inspected the slide stop to see if there is any binding or damage that might prevent it from working correctly?....like does it pivot/move freely?

Grendel

Single-Sixer
+1 to what vacextar said.

If the slide locks back when manually manipulating it with an empty mag, then I'd ask how familiar you were with semiauto pistols, and have you make sure you're not limpwristing the gun when firing.

-JT

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
I sometimes get a failure to lock because I'm inadvertantly resting my strong hand thumb on the slide release while firing. It seems like if that were the problem, you would have noticed it in the first hundred rounds or so. Unless you have been expirimenting with your grip of course.

fmcgraw

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I have been experimenting with grip a little, perhaps it is causing some limpwristing as mentioned. The slide does lock fine when manually racked with an empty mag. I will also clarify that I'm using only 17 round mags but loading them with different numbers of rounds depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. I'll pay more attention to my grip next time and see if I can spot any inconsistencies.