SR9, loading closes slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

War

Bearcat
I'm having a strange issue that I can't figure out. With the slide open, inserting a loaded magazine with a bit of force (as in about as much for a tap rack) to assure a fully seated mag often causes the slide lock to release, chambering a round unexpectedly. It will not do this with an empty magazine or with the gun empty (no mag), I can hit the mag well all day long and it won't do it.

Even if I gently seat the loaded mag, and it is fully engaged with the slide still open, tapping the bottom of the mag causes it to close.

I thought I had seen someone post about this issue before, but I can't seem to find it anymore, please forgive me if this has already been addressed. Ideally I would like to fix this without having to send it to Ruger.

Note: This happens with all 5 of my magazines, which are all the Ruger branded Mec-Gar 17 round.

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
I have seen this happen withbearly M&P pistols but not with the SR9 hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
When it was new, my SR9 would do the same thing but only when it was hot. Say after about 50 rounds at the range. After I got through the first 1000 rounds(not the first time out obviously) it quit doing it altogether. Never could figure out why it did that. If nobody else here has the answer, it could'nt hurt to call and ask Ruger. They are a friendly bunch of folks.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
mine does it and i love it, im pretty sure its normal. every single sr9/sr9c i have shot has done it. it makes fast mag changes a breeze.

jhearne

Buckeye
I made mine do it, but I really have to smack the bottom of the gun. If you just seat the mag with a fluid motion, the slide stays open (as it should).

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Every time I try to do it on purpose, I end up hurting my hand pretty badly. However, when reloading during IDPA matches, I manage to do it unintentionally maybe 80% of the time. In those cases, I'm slamming the new mag home with some speed and force; it doesn't happen if I'm comparatively gentle with the reload.

-JT

War

Bearcat
So, have any of you that can duplicate the problem tell what may be causing this to happen? Whatever is wrong is gradually getting worse on mine.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I would check if it did the same thing with a reduced amount, maybe 10 rounds and with every mag. It may be a case of strong springs and the force involved to seat them.

jhearne

Buckeye
Sounds like it's possibly strong springs, or the slide stop isn't seating properly when the slide locks back. Factor that in with a harsh jar from inserting the mag and you get an automatically closing slide. Either find the sweet spot to keep it from doing this (the SR9 mags seat with little force if the slide is open) or give Ruger a call.

Josh

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
I've seen this on rental gun.

According to the rental counter folks, the slide stop was worn out of spec from heavy use during slide lock reloads. Unfortunately, I don't know the round count on that rental piece.

I generally do overhand racks 80% of the time and the other 20% are slide stop releases. I have 2,600 rounds through mine and unless I am downright abusive by slamming the magazine home with as much force as I can muster, I've never had the gun go to battery from a typical magazine insertion sequence.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
I played around with this, and found that I am able to replicate this on my SR40...

It only happens if I miss the mag and hit the part of the grip/frame behind the mag instead of just the mag. Takes a pretty good bump... hurts my palm quite a bit if I hit it hard enough.

RMFC

Bearcat
My slide only closes if i slam the magazine in. Otherwise i have to use the slide release.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
well, at least it's not slam-firing AND letting the slide fly on reload...

That sounds like a truly dangerous combo. lol.

exavid

Hunter
Nope I can't get my SR to do it. Maybe if I walloped it with a rubber hammer but with reasonably normal slapping in a magazine the slide stays locked back. I wonder if the lock is fully engaged on the pistols that do slam shut with a magazine insertion.

War

Bearcat
16 rounds, 10, 5, 1 still does it. With 1-5 it seems to take a little more force, but really hard to tell, I can't measure how much force I'm using. Having said that, I don't believe I'm using any more force than an average person would use to seat the mag during a typical reload at the range, certainly not more than a tap rack exercise.

Re the slide stop being engaged fully, pushing the slide stop up manually versus when the stop is held open by the empty magazine doesn't seem to make a difference. I can't really say beyond that if it is engaged properly, I don't have another SR9 to compare it to.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Many autos regardless of brand do this occasionally from what I've experienced. The only gun I've NEVER seen this on is 1911's.

REV