SR9 Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

graygun

Hunter
81aggie":1whie41l said:
OMG,

Just a FYI the Monarch ammo is labelled 9mm Luger, I don't think it says 9x19 or 9mm Parabellum anywhere on the box. Should work fine, it's almost all I shoot through my SR9 since Academy seems to have ammo in stock most of the time around here. Only rarely find 9mm anywhere else lately.

I live in the SA area and know what you mean. You have to be lucky to find it at Walmart.

I have two boxes of the Monarch 9mm;I'm going to check to see if it's 9x19.

81aggie

Bearcat
Vecco":ysrkxiox said:
Well we are on the topic, how bad is the "Monarch" Ammo, is it as bad as Wolf? Or not to bad to shoot in a pinch

I've been shooting mostly Monarch ammo out of my SR9 and my RIA .45ACP for several months now. I've never used Wolf so can't give a comparison but I've had no problem with the Monarch FMJ's (haven't seen any JHP's), no misfires and it cycles the actions just fine. I've also used Monarch in my .38 Special with no trouble. I've shot a couple boxes of WWB and Remington UMC through the 9mm and .45 and haven't noticed much if any difference. Been shooting Monarch because it's what I can find most of the time. FWIW I do stay away from the steel cartridge stuff because of the lacquer coating and don't want to have to scrub that out of the gun, use the brass only.

wingspar

Bearcat
The many different 9mm ammo types is something new to me too. I bought a Marlin Camp 9 back in the 1980's, and was probably lucky to get the right ammo all the time. I thought 9mm was 9mm. The gun went into the closet till last year, when I shot ammo I already had. In my recent search for a new 9mm handgun, I saw 9x17, 9x18, and 9x19. Parabellum? Luger? I had to post a question on this as all sights that sell ammo or talk about it do so as if you are supposed to know this.

For a dealer to sell you a gun and the wrong ammo just seems inexcusable, and very unfortunate to make the sale to someone who didn't know the difference. Honest mistake on the part of the salesman? Who knows, but they should correct their mistake.

Latest posts