SR22 pistol woes....Ruger to replace!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went out last night and shot my new SR22 pistol.

I am very disappointed with my new SR22 pistol. Out of the box accuracy is poor. To hit point of aim, I needed to adjust the rear sight to the right to the point that the white dot on the right side of the rear sight was partially covered by the sight frame.

Worst of all, about half the rounds would keyhole the target. My range was only 30' and several different brands of ammo was used.

I guess I need to contact Ruger unless someone here has a suggestion.....

VERY disappointed.......... :(

Dave

Called Ruger. THEY said the rifling is shallow on the SR22 and that the ammo I was using caused the lead to accumulate in the rifling causing the keyholing. I believe the first or second round fired keyholed. One round caused the leading?????? I think not. :roll:

I used 3 or 4 different types of ammo, some coated, some not..... Maybe I don't have rifling at all???? Will look tonight. Maybe that's the accuracy issue too??

Precision32

Blackhawk
Heliman said:
Maybe I don't have rifling at all????

I had to return a Henry bolt action 22 for a friend of mine. Could hardly get it on paper at 25 yards and then it looked like a shot gun pattern, at 100 yards!!! Went down to look at the target and every round we could get on paper was key-holed.

Took it home and looked at it. There was not one mark down the bore. Smooth as a babies behind!

Of course they wanted it back and replaced the rifle.

Leading should be easy to spot.

What ever your problem is, Ruger will take care of the problem.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
I have heard great things about Ruger's customer service so I am sure they will take care of you. Your gun's behavior is not typical.

I have owned and do own Ruger firearms for 40 some years.

Recent Ruger firearms are disappointing from an intial quality standpoint.

For example, a 44Special Flattop. First shot the ejector rod housing separated itself from the barrel. Ruger fixed it.......I sold it.

Second, the failure to fire problem with an SR9. Ruger fixed it, I sold it.

Thirdly, this issue. Getting to be like Taurus in intial quality. Very disappointed.

I will think twice about new Ruger model firearm purchases in the future. I am happy with older stuff and will continue to enjoy them. You can have the new polymer offerings......I will pass. :x

Dave

9x19

Hunter
Heliman,

I have been around awhile as well, and although I don't say it often, the SR22 pistol is the first Ruger I have been truly disappointed by... I've tried two (both bought new) but no longer own either one. The last one was sold back to the shop and replaced with a 22/45 LITE, even with the MkIII changes (one of which I have already deleted) it is a much better pistol.

Good luck with your SR22 pistol.

gig

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about your issue with the SR-22. I have one and am getting along with it great.
Will be interested in hearing what Ruger does about it.
Did you clean it before you first shot it? And if so, how did the rifling appear then before you ever shot the gun?

gig

Single-Sixer
Heliman said:
I did find lots of leading in the bore and the rifling is very shallow. Yes, the bore was cleaned prior to firing the pistol. One more time at the range next week.
I'm certainly no expert in the field of bores and rifling; but I have read that the machine used to cut or form the rifling (depending on the method) does indeed get worn.
When this happens it produces shallow rifling; but the real problem is the "quality" of the edges of the rifling, the edges are more jagged than they should be.
The jagged edges cut more lead and since one edge might be different than another the cutting action is disproportional on the bullet causing varying accuracy.
Perhaps there is someone reading this that can give us a professional opinion.

I would certainly contact Ruger with this issue because it does not sound like the experience others are having with the SR-22.
I, for one, have had 2 different new Sr-22 and both were spot on shooters.
I bought one before the "scare" then recently had a chance to trade it for a new one with a threaded barrel cheaper than buying a replacement barrel for the first one.

I understand Ruger is quiet back-logged on production and it would stand to reason their quality control might suffer a bit; however I'm thinking their customer service is still top notch, although might be a bit slower.

rprouty

Bearcat
We shot our SR 22 for the first time today. I used quality ammo in the first two magazines with no problems and then loaded some cheap bulk ammo that I got from our LDG. The first magazine had one FTL and the second one had a FTE. I put some of the cheap ammo in our LCR 22 and had trouble getting the spent cases out. I went back to quality ammo in both the SR 22 and the LCR and had no problems the rest of the day.

Well, after a thorough cleaning and selecting several different coated ammo offerings, I went to the range with WAYNO tonight to shoot the SR22 again. This time WAYNO brought his SR22 as well. We shot both his and mine. His shot great and was accurate. Mine was very inaccurate...again and still keyholes. It order for me to get it to shoot close to point of aim I had to drift the front sight left a lot and adjust the rear sight to the righ a long ways. It still shot about a 4" group and keyholed most every shot. Distance was 20'. I am not happy. Now it is back to Ruger for resolution......... I include a pic of the target......
target002_zps224c3384.jpg

Dave

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
As I said last week your SR needs to go back to Ruger. This is 15+ shots at 30 feet standing at a one inch square:

medium.jpg

Don't wait another day. The SR is too much fun to shoot.

John

markfromark

Bearcat
I had a problem with my SR22 and Ruger was GREAT to deal with.They emailed a shipping label and I took the package to UPS on Tuesday and had the gun back on the following Monday. I've had zero problems with the guns since that time. I was pleased with the response.

Mark

9x19

Hunter
Makes you wonder how they shipped a pistol that can't even be repaired?

QC on their SR22 Pistol line may still need some help?

vortecMax

Blackhawk
Heliman; Ship my Sr22 junk with yours. Can't get it to shoot more than 2 or 3 in a row. Have tried 3 different types of ammo so far.

vortecMax said:
Heliman; Ship my Sr22 junk with yours. Can't get it to shoot more than 2 or 3 in a row. Have tried 3 different types of ammo so far.

I got a new SR22 from Ruger to replace mine. They gave me a Silicone wiping cloth to appease me for my trouble........

Mine cycled fine with lots of different ammo. just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it keyholed almost every shot. Hope the replacement shoots good! Good luck with your repair, they are pretty good about getting thing taken care of in a timely mannner.

Dave

Latest posts