SR22 Pistol Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flattman

Bearcat
First post but have been lurking awhile. Just got back from the range with my SR22 pistol and I have to say I am really struggling with its accuracy. This is the third time out with it and while I don't proclaim to be the best aim, I am terrible with this gun. It eats any round I put through it but it's worthless if I can't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I might as well be throwing bullets at my targets. My misses are not even duplicable where I could work on something I'm doing wrong.

Anything I should look for mechanically or should I let it go to someone who might have better luck with it? It's too bad because I really wanted to like this piece.

Edit - I don't want to come off as a troll with this being my first post. But I haven't posted before because I mostly shoot Glocks and my SR22 is one of three rimfire pistols I shoot with the others being a 4.5" Beretta Neos and an old Bernardelli P80 model .22. I had high hopes for the Ruger.

Cholo

Staff member
You could have gotten a lemon, but I'd let someone else shoot it who's a better shot overall than you are. Have you tried shooting it off sandbags? I'm a heck of a lot better off sandbags than I am offhand. As usual, YMMV...

flattman

Bearcat
It's just hard to believe how random the shots land. I can live with missing targets (to a point) as long as there is consistency to work on.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
First please describe your expectations.

Here is a 30 foot grouping of 16+/- rounds at a 1 inch square:
medium.jpg

Here is one of my better 5 shot groups:

medium.jpg

I am very happy with these as I work to improve my accuracy with my SR. I will not show any of my 45 foot groupings because there is nothing impressive to share as of yet.

If you are completely unhappy and your expectations aren't too high for the amount of effort you have put into mastering your SR, you may want to let someone else give it a test run to see how they do.

flattman

Bearcat
I'm not remotely close to that at 20 feet! I'd be tickled to death with that if it were. I picked up a rental SW MP 15-22 and had a tighter group at 75 feet first time ever with that rifle than I can shoot at 20 feet with the pistol. I know they're two different animals but what I'm trying to point out is I'm not an incompetent shooter.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Pistols and rifles are completely different. The SR has a 3.5 inch barrel so any movement on your part will throw your bullet off terribly. For these two groups I shared there are countless ones that ended up in the trash can at the firing range. While I waited the 3 weeks for my purchase permit to be approved I broke out my son's old BB pistol and fired hundreds and hundreds of shots in the garage. As of today I have put 1,000+ rounds through my SR and still have bad days at the range. I still shoot the BB gun from time to time to work on my skills when a trip to the range is not possible. And again I still have bad days at the range. I can usually tell if it is going to be a good day or bad day within the first few magazines. If I am on a bad run I will end the session early rather than becoming frustrated.

Let someone give your SR a try if possible. There have been a few reports of issues with accuracy that required trips back to the factory.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Another technique I use is the shrinking circle. Start with a 6 inch circle and try to keep all your shots inside the circle, once capable move to 4 incher, then a 3 inch. If your pistol is capable you will see an improvement over time. If not you will recognize the issue pretty quickly. And again you can still have days when you just have bad days.

I can actually shoot tighter groups when focusing on the 1 inch square target I showed above vs a 6 inch circle because I concentrate harder when the target is smaller. Most of the shooting issues are all in the mind. This comes from throwing millions of darts at a dart board focusing on the center bulls eye vs just trying to hit the board. It's all about zeroing in on what you are trying to hit.

Hope you get it figured out as the SR is just too much fun to shoot.

flattman

Bearcat
Thank you for the feedback - I'll go back again and try that. If I still have issues I'll ask a pro from the range to give it a go and see what they think. I love the pistol but need to have a lot more confidence in it if I'm going to keep it.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
Good luck and I didn't mention it but a change of ammo can sometimes do wonders as well. I hope it all works out and look forward to hearing about your next outing.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
"I'm not remotely close to that at 20 feet! I'd be tickled to death with that if it were. I picked up a rental SW MP 15-22 and had a tighter group at 75 feet first time ever with that rifle than I can shoot at 20 feet with the pistol. I know they're two different animals but what I'm trying to point out is I'm not an incompetent shooter."

Not to sound bad or mean, but from this (kind of silly) comment it is clear that the problem is 99.9999999999% likely to be completely you. That means that there is a .0000000001 that you need to change ammo. You should learn to shoot a handgun. Even so, shooting as well at 20ft with this pistol as you can from 75ft with a rifle is pretty good! Anyhow, my grand-dad is a self-reported bad pistol shot, but he bought and loves this gun.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I HAD THIS HAPPEN ONCE WITH A RUGER 22 PISTOL. At 50 meters it shot groups about 30'[ 30 feet !!!] in diameter. I got to looking at it and something looked odd in the BBL so I ran a new tight 22 rifle bronze brush down it and out came a strip of lead the length of one groove and the size of one groove. Guess which gun is now a tackdriver. Someone before me had shot some unlubed[?] cheap lead[?] 22lr ammo that leaded the dickens out of a groove and I never noticed or thought to clean it before shooting it. By the way, it is a SR OM 4 5/8" Single Six Convertible that shoots 22LR ammunition superbly now, my favorite SS of all.

macduff

Bearcat
Try different brand of ammo for some are brand sensitive. In former post someone reported a loose barrel causing the same trouble. Keep us posted on what you find.

jlb070

Bearcat
Mine is as accurate as I am, which is just OK! The gun is very accurate with CCI Blazer ammo I was lucky enough to have stashed.