sr1911 should I have cause for alarm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1796shd

Bearcat
Brand new to forum and lookin for insight on recent purchase. Ill start off saying typically not a impulse buyer .....but. I was in the market for 2 1911's I researched greatly on possible purchases from phillipines to Turkey brands due to the price point I was lookin at. Armscor hit top my list. When at the store saw a sr1911 gov and cmd they were just gorgeous sitting next to anything in same price point, but I had almost no knowledge of these. I put them on layaway anyway due to the fact only ones they had. I did my research after the fact. One thing that alarmed me was vertical flex on rear of barrel. So I went back and reinspected them and sure enough the cmd nice and tight the gov. not so much. There was definite movement. I realize production 1911's ride the the barre link but should they be standing on it in lockup? Im concerned with it wearing out the link and or slide stop pin faster then it should not to mention accuracy inconsistency. I know ruger has good customer service and I am committed at this point. Should I pick it up and send it right in or put some rounds down it first even tho I can clearly understand the barrel lug is not standing on slide stop pin in lockup.

bgw45

Bearcat
Since you are committed, call Ruger and ask what they would recommend. I think you will get the straight deal that way. Go online and get their CS number and let em know you really like the pistol but are concerned about the fit of the barrel. Let us know what they say.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
You have 2 pistols on lay-away, one you like, one you don't. They're identical except for 3/4" of barrel length. You can't stop the sale on the one you question, buy and shoot the one you like while you look for another one you like better? Is your concern from your own experience with links, lock up, lugs etc or from what you read on the interworld?

Can't recall any discussion or concern here about incorrect lock-up causing problems.

Trying to understand buying a brand new pistol with the intent of sending it in for warranty work without firing a shot... :shock:

1796shd

Bearcat
Na I like them both. Ill admit I mezmorized by thier beauty. Just lookin for insight on this brand of 1911. As far as experience try a couple remington rand essex built pistols you will get some knowledge. I did also surf the web for info tho. There are other reasons for a lockup not to be tight just that what i specified was more common. Your right I need it in hand a good field strip and some lead spitting and go from there. Could be barrel lug feet were left wide intentional to line the rear slide up with rear of frame causing the link nt to come far enough forward and rides the barrel lug cam I dunno Im purely speculating. I will update what comes of it. Honestly Im damn excited havent ad any 1911s to play with in a while.

Mus408

Hunter
My SR1911 Cmd,I bought back in October, is my first 1911. So far it has been an excellent and accurate shooter. No problems with feeding ammo of any type I purchase.
I think you will really like the Cmd... Get to the range and enjoy! :D

Had mine out last weekend! http://youtu.be/ylWtSHaystk

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"I researched greatly on possible purchases from phillipines to Turkey brands due to the price point I was lookin at. Armscor hit top my list. When at the store saw a sr1911 gov and cmd they were just gorgeous sitting next to anything in same price point, but I had almost no knowledge of these"...

So when your gun needs any service in the future, would you rather deal with someone in Arizona or someone in the Phillipines or Turkey? You going to send your gun halfway around the globe and deal with some other language?

I've seen no experience-based discussion about the SR9199 having lockup problems. I can say everyone I've fired and handled is as good as you'll get from a box. It's your money. Choose wisely.

DenverGT

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
So when your gun needs any service in the future, would you rather deal with someone in Arizona or someone in the Phillipines or Turkey? You going to send your gun halfway around the globe and deal with some other language?

Actually, if my RIA 1911 ever in my lifetime needs service, it goes back to the Armscor facility in Nevada. Best $350 I ever spent. 1200 rounds thru it in the past 2 months and it's been rock solid. But I do like knowing the service is handled right here in the US, just like ruger.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yeah... just a thought - google the Amscor facility in Pahrump. I see three cars in the parking lot. Dirt road.
Not that the Armscor guns aren't good, they are. Just not what we'd compare to Ruger or Remington or certainly not S&W 1911s.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I would shoot the gun and see if there is a problem the barrel bushing/fit has an effect on the outcome and if you are simply pushing down on the barrel hood there is more leverage on the 5" barreled gun.

1796shd

Bearcat
Got the sr1911's home. I field stripped and cleaned them. First impressions both have excellent frame to slide fit, both have rattling triggers and grip safety. I have heard of this rust thing under the grips? That mystery solved, I suspect it was undried urethane when grips installed. None of these things are of great importance to me but worth mention. The full size does have alot of rear barrel movement. The barrel link is very sloppy. Then casing for test fire at factory shows firing pin striking no where near the center. The cmd nearly perfect in comparsion. Next will be to take out to range. Wear marks and and firing pin consistency on full size should tell the story. I got 200rds of 2 different brands will update but snow might make it little while longer to get them out. In no way am I intent on being negative. Im more is what it is guy. I know ill enjoy these 1 way or another.

Long Colt

Bearcat
WOW, I've never heard of such fussing over a boxed gun. All of my 1911's are from Colt, a step above a Ruger, perhaps if cost is an indicator. But my simple answer is, let the link ride, when it dismounts, get back on and ride some more. Your worrying over nothing. Just go shoot the hell out of it.

1796shd

Bearcat
I got them to the range ran 150rds through each using blazer and winchester 230gr ball ammo. The cmd and gov. Performed almost identical. Positive they are super reliable, not one hiccup in either. At 10 yards 2.5" groups. Negative at 25 yards lucky to get 8" group even when using rested grip. At 15 yards it would greatly improve back to average of 3" group. There was 3 shooters to these pistols a novice, experienced shooter, and me middle of the road. These results were consistent to all 3 of us. In conclusion its a decent defense carry gun for the price but its certianly not a target gun. Over all I like em with a few things that didnt suit me personly. The contour of grip safety a little uncomfortable. The extra 150 dollars spent over what I consider comparables was purely for looks. I suppose I already knew that tho. Any input on others range experiences are welcome.

1796shd

Bearcat
Oh yeah they both have rear barrel movement now and barrel link is doing all the work. The very bottom edge of barrel feet is the only contact to slide stop pin and I mean very bottom edge.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
1796shd said:
Oh yeah they both have rear barrel movement now and barrel link is doing all the work. The very bottom edge of barrel feet is the only contact to slide stop pin and I mean very bottom edge.

Not good. Riding the link a little around the lower lug knee is one thing...but once the link is nearly vertical, the pin should support the barrel...not the link.

A little movement won't really hurt anything except cause a little vertical stringing. The barrel dropping means that it's probably dropping to the slidestop pin, and isn't actually standing hard on the link. It's a little sloppy, but not cause for great alarm.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
I have a very slight rear movement in my sr1911 commander barrel when pushing down on the barrel hood in battery. Took it out and shot it. Shot fine no ftf's or stove pipes. Brought home tore it down and cleaned barrel is coming right back up into battery at the same spot on the back of slide breech face. Called and talked to a tech at ruger about my new pistol said he had 4 different 1911's himself. His colt had movement slightly to the rear but shot to good to worry about. So until I have a maj issue mine is staying just the way it is.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Armscor has CS as good as Ruger, and they're in Nevada....

mohavesam said:
"I researched greatly on possible purchases from phillipines to Turkey brands due to the price point I was lookin at. Armscor hit top my list. When at the store saw a sr1911 gov and cmd they were just gorgeous sitting next to anything in same price point, but I had almost no knowledge of these"...

I've seen no experience-based discussion about the SR9199 having lockup problems. I can say everyone I've fired and handled is as good as you'll get from a box. It's your money. Choose wisely.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Maybe you could've read down another two posts...

Armscor is indeed in Nevada. All four employees and a phone bank in a rented double-wide steel building on dirt roads. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ruger Prescott employs over 650 Americans and heavily supports the local schools, airport economy, and local gun-manufacturing supply chain. In a state that recognizes Constitutional Carry...

What do you say when the guy next to you at the range opens up a bag full of Muslim-made guns?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If you are worried about the lockup, Send it back to Ruger. Thay will take care of you. Both the SR1911 and SR1911CMD are just super guns. I have three and they all run great.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I havent had to use their services, but I have conversed with Armscors rep online. Cant say the same about Ruger.. Although I HAVE had to use Rugers repair facility a couple time. But.... I have a LOT more Rugers...

mohavesam said:
Maybe you could've read down another two posts...

Armscor is indeed in Nevada. All four employees and a phone bank in a rented double-wide steel building on dirt roads. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ruger Prescott employs over 650 Americans and heavily supports the local schools, airport economy, and local gun-manufacturing supply chain. In a state that recognizes Constitutional Carry...

What do you say when the guy next to you at the range opens up a bag full of Muslim-made guns?

Latest posts