SR1911 Range report : before and after working on it - phot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

meanc

Single-Sixer
I have already made a post listing some of the first problems on my SR1911, but will add to that list a sloppily fit bushing and an unfinished muzzle crown.

In my first 75 rds through the Ruger - accuracy was on par with a 12guage using bird-shot @ 25yds.

Well, last night, I finished up the crown with some lapping compound and a ball bearing then fitted a National Match Bushing to my Ruger. I don't know if the unfinished crown introduced any accuracy issues, but I worked on it anyway. The bushing, I was for certain, did.

Below are photos of slide, barrel, and both bushings - as well as targets fired using each. The differences are noticeable

First are factory slide and barrel measurements:

DSCN1180.jpg

slideNbarrel.jpg

Here are the factory bushing measurements

DSCN11qw.jpg

Notice the factory bushing OD is .0045" smaller than the slide ID - and the bushing ID is also .0045" larger than the barrel OD

So, just with the bushing, we are at .009" worth of slop - and it definitely showed up in the accuracy during the first two shooting sessions.

Now here is the NM Bushing I fit with .001" clearance between both the barrel and slide. Bushing requires little effort to remove with the wrench.
DSCN1173.jpg

So, now that all of that was done it was time to go to the range.

I was shooting at 20yds from a standing rest only (wrists over padded 2x4). Ammo used was Federal 230gr FMJ for all targets.
It was a nippy 40deg with wind @ 5-10mph.

First two targets were shot using the factory Ruger bushing - These are practically the same results I had from the first two shooting sessions. Horrendous !!!

DSCN1150.jpg

Well, here is the very first group I fired using the newly fitted bushing. That ragged hole has 6 shots in it - and no, that top shot is not a flyer. I adjusted my POA to cover the bulls eye with my front sight.

DSCN1151.jpg

As you can tell from the last target, I had to center the sights (they were not from the factory) and I had to completely cover the orange bulls-eye with the front sight in order to bring up my groups.

Because of a lack of a point of reference, that sight picture doesn't lend itself to bulls-eye accuracy, but the results were definitely good enough for me.

Here are my first and second attempts at it.

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1152.jpg

I experienced no failures of any kind, and the ejected brass was at my4 o'clk and around 5ft.

Right now, this thing is running smooth and shooting like my others. hopefully it'll hold up.

DGW1949

Hunter
Nice work.
It could be that your front sight could be a tad too tall but you'll know more about that after you shoot it some more.
FWIW, Fussion(sp?) markets a "match bushing" that has been a drop-in fit on the three different 1911's that I've tried them in. Aint saying that their's would give results as good as your's turned out, just offering up an option to other folks who perhaps can't do the work that you did.

DGW

meanc

Single-Sixer
I believe the front sight is a tad high. I've only shot this Federal bulk through it, though. I'll be putting some 230gr Winchester bulk through the paces later this week to see how the two compare.

After a hundred or so rounds of that I should have a pretty good idea of what height to use.

Mike J

Hunter
Good work meanc. I am beginning to think the reason you didn't send that gun back is because you enjoy tinkering with things & making them how you want them.

Those VZ grips look really nice.

meanc

Single-Sixer
Thanks Mike.

And you're right. I do enjoy modding and working on them a bit, especially if the problems have simple solutions. Helps pass the time and adds a little sentimental value to it.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Great report.

My fear is that Ruger is beginning to rush their guns out the door to meet demand and sloppy fitting is going to be the end result.

My SR1911CMD grouped more like your fitted and finished groups show, though not on par with one-ragged hole, definitely not the shotgun patterns.

I have about 1500 rounds through mine and she's still running great, though I did shoot off the front sight somewhere around 1200 rounds (appears that's not uncommon though).