SR1911 JHP Chronograph results

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HadEmAll

Bearcat
These were compiled during my 1st range session. They are the average of 5 shots. Temperature was about 55 degrees F. The gun was allowed to cool a while between strings.

Black Hills 230 +P 930 fps 444 ft/lbs ME
Fed HST 230 +P 941 fps 455 ft/lbs ME
Rem GS 185 1031 fps 439 ft/lbs ME
Rem GS 185 +P 1074 fps 476 ft/lbs ME
Win PP 230 915 fps 430 ft/lbs ME
Win Ranger 230 +P 928 fps 442 ft/lbs ME

No matter how I line the values up in the post, they revert to this cramped up form, so ........

The big surprise for me was how peppy the Winchester 230 grain Personal Protection load was, especially on this cool day. I had chronographed it at 882 fps out of my Kimber Classic about a year ago. I even repeated the test with another 5-shot string to make sure.

HadEmAll

Bearcat
Unfortunately, the 230 grain +P Ranger is the only load listed that my SR1911 had a problem with, 2 misfeeds out of 22 rounds (3 mags). But it works fine in my PX4.

HadEmAll

Bearcat
Why so? Are you thinking barrel wear might change things? I'd be interested to know what you're thinking I might see.

For what it's worth, the velocities are all 20 to 30 fps lower than the same loads chronographed out of my Kimber Classic, also a 5" barrel, except the Winchester Personal Protection, which is 30 fps higher.

The Kimber probably had around 2K rounds when I did those tests.

Unfortunately, I did not note the ambient temperatures when I chronographed those loads out of the Kimber. At that time, I was new to chronographing, and didn't realize that the temperature of the ammunition will affect velocities.

As noted, these were conducted on a 55 deg F morning. I almost guarantee that I had done it later in the day, when it was closer to 70 def F, they would have been somewhat higher, how much I have no idea.

Velocities out of my .357s on a 95 deg F day versus a 55 deg F day are substantially different.

Anyway, if I have any of some of those loads left at the 2K round count, I might do it. Some of those loads I won't be reordering or using in the Ruger, or might not be able to get again.