SR1911 help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sokr915

Bearcat
I just picked up some A-Zoom snap caps to mess around with my SR1911 commander. While playing around I realized that when I have the magazine loaded and try to put the mag into the gun the top bullet hits part of the frame. Does anyone elses gun do this? I can force it into place but im never a fan of forcing. This the best picture I could get of what I am talking about. I also tried with a real round. Any help would be appreciated.

C45A00C3-5B14-4310-A861-746F750B792F-3277-0000023E3A6B71B7_zps588980b4.jpg

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
You know what, I do believe another gentleman ran into this very issue just a couple of months ago (his was the 5"). I don't recall the thread, but I think he ended up sending it back to Ruger.

That should not be happening.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
sokr915 said:
... the top bullet hits part of the frame ...

Your question mislead me for a moment. Do you mean the case head on the topmost cartridge in the magazine?

I made a quick check on my own SR1911 to see if I could duplicate your situation. Inserting an issue Ruger/Check-Mate magazine (which I don't use), I found that the very edge of the case head did come into light contact with the frame surface at the rear of the magazine well. With a Wilson 47D magazine, the case head did not contact the frame.

When I first had my SR1911 almost two years ago, I believe the magazines sometimes were "catchy" when being inserted. This may have been caused by the edge of the case head snagging slightly as it passed the rectangular opening at the rear of the magazine well. I stopped using the Ruger magazines within the first month of owning the SR1911, so I haven't thought about this since. ...Until you brought it up.

The Ruger/Check-Mate magazines are of "hybrid lip" design and are quite a bit different from the GI magazines many of the experienced 1911 users frequenting this forum are familiar with. The topmost cartridge sits at a higher angle, so the edge of the case head is tipped father back. There are those who love these magazines. And, there are a few of us who don't. If you have the opportunity, borrow another brand of magazine from a 1911-owning friend and repeat your experiment. It might save an unnecessary round trip shipment of your SR1911 to and from Prescott.

C45A00C3-5B14-4310-A861-746F750B792F-3277-0000023E3A6B71B7_zps588980b4.jpg

Wickedgt

Bearcat
Now issues here with my issued checkmate mags. I'm also running Mec-Gar mags with no issues. What did Ruger say? Have you received your gun back from them?

Rick

sokr915

Bearcat
It will be here tomorrow. They called and said with the mags having a new spring in it was causing it to push the front of the mag up. They said fill the mag and let it sit for a little. I bought a wilson 47d so maybe that will work.

Phoenix too

Blackhawk
I had a few issues at first and, like you, was brought up on "Don't force it!" I think I've had mine for about a year now and no problems at all for a long time.

sokr915

Bearcat
Got my gun back yesterday, was playing with it all day everything seems to be fixed. They said they couldn't make duplicate the issue so shot 50rds through it and sent it back. I don't know if they actually did anything or not but it seems to be fixed. I took it to the range today and boy do I love this fun. I will admit I am still a better shot with my sr9c but that could be due to a bit more practice. Ill just have to go to the range more often on my lunch breaks.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
sokr915 said:
Got my gun back yesterday, was playing with it all day everything seems to be fixed...

Did you try your A-Zoom snap caps again? I continue to believe the situation arises with a specific combination of cartridge case/magazine.

sokr915

Bearcat
dlidster said:
sokr915 said:
Got my gun back yesterday, was playing with it all day everything seems to be fixed...

Did you try your A-Zoom snap caps again? I continue to believe the situation arises with a specific combination of cartridge case/magazine.

I actually have not tried the the snap caps. I will try them when I get home from work.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Just got my SR1911 yesterday, the factory mags seem to have a wider lip opening allowing the shell to tip-up and hang over the back of the magazine. Tried my 2 old Chip McCormac Power Plus mags the lips are closer together and they do not catch when inserting the mag.

Jaybyrd92

Bearcat
Same issue with my new cmd didn't realize at the time if this was normal on the ruger supplied magazines. I sometimes have trouble chambering a cartridge where the slide will not fully close. Emailed ruger and was told to call them so they can walk me through it. Lol. The problem I'm experiencing only seems to happen loading the first cartridge after cocking the round sometimes gets stuck slide won't fully close, then ill eject round and usually next round will chamber and everything cycles fine. I'm hoping its just the magazine causing the cartridge to not load correctly.