SR1911 flaws?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

marsh919

Bearcat
On the M1911.Org Ezine site, there is criticism of the slide stop being to short and the lobe on it rubbing against rounds and also the magazine catch. I am new to all this but learning. Anyone else see this and if so what have you done?

Big Dawg

Bearcat
No problems with mine. Are you sure the guy that told you that really owned one?
Keep this in mind the next time you are about to repeat a rumor or spread gossip.

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man was bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was banging his wife.

Glad I didn't hear of this problem before I strapped mine on this morning.

This did cause me to go take a look after seeing the photo. When the magazine is fully inserted, the bullet is above the slide stop anyway. The only way I could see it contacting the bullet is when inserting the magazine, and even then, the bullet does not contact the stop on mine.

Welcome to the forum!

WAYNO.

marsh919

Bearcat
It is on the M1911.org site under E-zine, Volume 6-2011, Issue 2 2011
It has close up photos and all.
RugerSR1911 review.

I 'm still buying one, anyway.

Tipper

Bearcat
Its called being jealous, its normaly done by people who don't have what you have, but would like to. If and when they get what you have than theirs is better than anyone elses. People also tend to not repeat verbaitum what they actually hear. Biggest problem is we all do it and don't even realize it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It's on the internet, so it must be true. ;)

That site must've taken down the e-zine, It doesn't come up in searches. But they DO have a section for "RUGAR arms", so if you're looking for one of those...

marsh919

Bearcat
I was told if I were interested in the 1911 go the M1911.org website. I was researching all I could on the SR 1911 and came across it. The authors actually liked the pistol very much, but were going to change out the slide lock and magazine catch, because and mentioned the lobe was to long and rubbed against rounds, causing the gun to lock back at times. They said the slide lock pin should be .200 not .196 as that they measured.
It was the first criticism of the handgun I have read, but something to take note of.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Looks like he got one of the first production 1911s and must be one of the only guys I have read that got a "lemon".
I for one take the review like a grain of salt, the SR1911 is still on my list as a next purchase before I buy some over-hyped pistol made in a foreign land.

marsh919

Bearcat
mdewitt71 said:
Looks like he got one of the first production 1911s and must be one of the only guys I have read that got a "lemon".
I for one take the review like a grain of salt, the SR1911 is still on my list as a next purchase before I buy some over-hyped pistol made in a foreign land.

I have one on order as well, but I am a 1911 newbie, the more I know, the more I solve my own problems if they occur. I am a Makarov owner and user, my first semi and I tell you, the pistol is an excellent design, after seeing all the intricacies of other guns.

piccolo

Bearcat
mdewitt71 said:
....I for one take the review like a grain of salt,

Too much salt is no good for you.
Look at the pictures on the referenced site.

My new SR1911 had to go back to Ruger due to major flaws in the frames casting.

marsh919

Bearcat
piccolo said:
mdewitt71 said:

The truth be told, I only try and share information that will help others make a sound decision. Will you share more info?

piccolo

Bearcat
marsh919 said:
piccolo said:
mdewitt71 said:

The truth be told, I only try and share information that will help others make a sound decision. Will you share more info?

Certainly, what would you like to know?

marsh919

Bearcat
First of all, hello, how all is well, in your life, as well as can be!
Secondly, I have the SR1911 on order. I am new to the 1911 world, but I am digesting every bit of knowledge as I can, and it is no longer a strange looking gun with many parts. I am a Makarov fan.
Did you detect the "flaw" in the frame? Did you notice any of the defects mentioned in the article?

piccolo

Bearcat
marsh919 said:
Did you detect the "flaw" in the frame? Did you notice any of the defects mentioned in the article?
Mine did not have any of the defects mentioned in the article. The flaw I had was a casting flaw in the frame. Some other members also had this. There is a long (7 page) thread on the subject:see

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=138860&highlight=casting

Keep in mind that whatever problems you might have Ruger will do the right thing. They are very good,although sometimes slow, about customer service.
Good Luck

Rabon

Single-Sixer
marsh919 said:
On the M1911.Org Ezine site, there is criticism of the slide stop being to short and the lobe on it rubbing against rounds and also the magazine catch. I am new to all this but learning. Anyone else see this and if so what have you done?
Some of the response would indicate some ones pet Ox was gored, however I found the review to be very favorable to the SR 1911. My particular gun has a slide stop pin which also measures .196 however there is no contact between the lug and bullet (I use a 230 XTP as well as a 230 ball) however if there were any contact it is easily corrected, I can make the magazine a bit sticky by holding it in place and depressing the magazine release completely however I can't trap it and I sure can't hit the magazine release quick enough to trap it quick enough before the magazine clears (and if I could it would be a simple fix). The 1911 is a simple gun, there are no controlled parts (parts are readily available from numerous sources and if Ruger won't sell you one there are many vendors who will) The gun is establishing a pretty good track record for accuracy (mine shoots as well as anything else I use) and there appear to be few major issues they run well. Its a good gun accept it for what it is.

marsh919

Bearcat
Thanks for the comments, I agree because I have one on order. When I saw it, I knew instantly it was what I was seeking.