SR1911 break in time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
how many rounds did it take before you felt your new SR1911CMD was fully reliable? also are there any ammo issues you have experienced? mine took about 400, and it initially was very bad with my RNL reloads. the same ones that worked beautifully in mySR45 would not feed consistently in the CMD. today I took her out for the second time and she ate everything I fed her with very good accuracy and compete reliability. no issues at all, not even with the RNL! I think I am in love! might have to make her a carry weapon when jacket time comes back.

hittman

Staff member
I consider mine fully reliable with 600 through it. Not one hiccup along the way. Flawless.

And ..... I shoot the SR1911 better than my Sig P220. Mine is full size, not the Commander.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Mine had zero break in issues feeding wise out of the box and is now just a bit over 2200 rounds and is still solidly reliable and on the money accurate.

I did lose two of the Ruger MIM front sights though, but now have a milled and pinned Novak on it so hopefully that will be the end of that.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I am amazed at the number of people that seem afraid to hand cycle a new gun. Instead
they go out and spend twenty to thirty cents per round and then complain if there are any
that do not feed perfectly. :shock:

I have taken each new 1911, and one or two that were "previously owned", and cleaned
each quite well, add a bit of oil and hand cycle the slide. I do it about 150 cycles and then
re-clean and again add a dab of oil. Repeat as many times as it takes for the slide to
operate smoothly. I figure I have saved many hundred rounds of .45ACP, and thus a whole
lot of money.

Strangest thing, I have not had a mis-feed since I adopted that practice almost two decades
ago. But then again I like to shoot for fun, not for frustration. :roll:

YMMV.

P.S. I also check the extractor tension and adjust only if necessary. :D

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I am not afraid of anything. at 64 and with arthritic hands and knees I try to limit the amount of pain I live with. a few hundred rounds is better for me than extra pain.

RCP1936

Bearcat
Full size SR1911
Just over 400 rds
Hardball and 93 RDs Federal 230 HST--50 RDs Federal 230 HiShok--43 RDs Speer 230 Gold Dot

Only problem was a 8 rd magazine of HiShock and a 8 rd Magazine of HST had FTF on the first RD and one subsequent RD---no problems with Hardball with the 8RD and several other mags of HPs were OK

Read there were problems with some Ruger 8 RDers
Contacted Ruger and they sent me a new 8RD Mag but I won't use it

The 7s have been problem free

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my early issues came no matter the mag used. I had Wilson combat, Ruger factory, and Kimber mags all in the mix. yesterday any mag was fine, and any style bullet, factory or reload. I knew the pistol was tight, guess it just needed a few down the barrel.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have three. One 5" and two CMD`s. None of them has had a single bo-bo that I cant blame on the ammo. I loaded some cast bullets a little long in OAL and a couple FTF`s were the result. Proper ammo and they all run like a Swiss watch.
I could say 7 shots each and they were ready to go.

More shots fired to brake in after the gun proves it works is just to make the shooter confident it will keep on working fine.
Kinda like shooting all your ammo just to be sure it will fire. If a hunter did that he would never have any ammo to take hunting.

DC Plumber

Bearcat
I do the same as Pat. I use a light oil and work the slide as many as 500 times. I do the same with my revolvers too. Double action firing with plenty of oil smooths them out without burning up ammo.

Not much better than a slick action.

pjvrefugee said:
how many rounds did it take before you felt your new SR1911CMD was fully reliable? also are there any ammo issues you have experienced? mine took about 400, and it initially was very bad with my RNL reloads. the same ones that worked beautifully in mySR45 would not feed consistently in the CMD. today I took her out for the second time and she ate everything I fed her with very good accuracy and compete reliability. no issues at all, not even with the RNL! I think I am in love! might have to make her a carry weapon when jacket time comes back.

I got one of the first SR1911s. Mine was 100% out of the box! It ran federal hydrashoks hornady critical defense and my standard 230 gr. WWB right out of the box. I do miss it! Damn rusting problem! Traded it off for a CZ75SP01, not a bad trade, but I'm looking to replace my SR1911 soon.

JEA1957

Bearcat
In the year I've owned mine, it has run flawlessly from the first magazine full (7 & 8 round). I have not shot any HP ammo yet, but have shot everything from 185, 200 and 230 gr. Lead SWC, RN, RNFP and all manner of 230 gr. FMJ/ball ammo. Factory or reloads, this thing shoots it all very accurately-5, 7, 10 & 15 yards, doesn't seem to make any difference. This is one of the most accurate handguns I've owned, out of the box, in over 35 years of handgun shooting. Probably have to add the SR1911 CMD at some point, these Rugers will spoil you!

dakota1911

Buckeye
All of mine have been fine from round 0. I start with 230gr FMJ, even CCI Aluminum case stuff. I then try 230gr HP and my 200gr. cast SWC handloads. I would imagine that there are rounds out there they do not like but nobody is paying me to test one of these with every possible thing out there. Oh yes, mine are fine with the steel cased Russian stuff also.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had my jeweler friend polish the feed ramp and take some small burrs off the rails, went to the indoor range, shot 200rnds of Winchester 230gr ball white box, shot 200 rnds of range ball reloads, shot a mag each of CorBon 185gr JHP, Federal 230gr Hydrashock, Winchester 230gr Ranger SXT, Hornady 230gr JHP, and Remington Golden Saber 230gr. Decided the Winchester Ranger 230gr SXT was the best function & accuracy and downrange power choice. I shot the rest of 20rnd boxes of Cor Bon 185, Fed Hydrashock and Remington Goldens. Failure to feed the 2nd & 3rd rounds out of the mags of Hydrashocks twice.
I cleaned the gun and loaded up all my mags with the Winchester Ranger 230 SXT. Hit really accurate both rapid fire and squeezing off shots. Totally reliable.
I went back to my local security supply shop, bought 4 boxes of the Winchester Ranger out of the same batch. Now my EDC.
The Winchester White box 100rnd packs from Wal Mart are all I have found of late, so that is what gets range time. Always accurate, clean burning, very reliable. I would not hesitate to carry them for defensive ammo if I did not have the Ranger SXT's available. I bought one 50rnd box of Federal 230gr Mil Spec ball, but I thought it was really dirty powder residue after 50 rnds

Mike J

Hunter
I haven't gotten to shoot a lot since I have had my SR 1911 but I have somewhere around 300 rounds through it without any problem. Most of what I have run is Sellier & Bellot & Magtech 230 fmj rounds with some WWB hollowpoints mixed in. Life has been getting in the way of me getting to play.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I don't get the break-in conversation ... Guns should work perfectly right out of the box ... ESPECIALLY 1911's. They've pretty much been factory perfected in the last 103 years.

There should be no 'surprise' or bragging that their 1911 works perfectly from day 1 ... It should be a 'surprise' when one doesn't.

Now in the case of custom built, super tight .... big buck custom models ... Usually the builder themselves will ask that 500-1000 rounds should be run through the gun before they'll look at it to analyze a function problem ... Unless of course the problem is severe or it just won't run at all. I think that's pretty reasonable when you think of all changes and modifications that are done to a totally custom gun.

I'd guess that 90+% of all 1911 functional issues are due to inexperienced users, kitchen table gun smithing ... Or 'drop-in' supposed custom parts designed to make the gun 'better' or 'cooler looking' ... Both of which are stupid goals if you don't know what you're doing ... Which is most people ... Including myself.

An inexperienced 1911 owner with a Brownells or Midway 1911 catalog is the worst thing that can happen to an innocent 1911.

Most 1911's work just fine from shot 1 if you leave them the hell alone.

REV

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
I don't get the break-in conversation ... Guns should work perfectly right out of the box ... ESPECIALLY 1911's. They've pretty much been factory perfected in the last 103 years.

There should be no 'surprise' or bragging that their 1911 works perfectly from day 1 ... It should be a 'surprise' when one doesn't.

Now in the case of custom built, super tight .... big buck custom models ... Usually the builder themselves will ask that 500-1000 rounds should be run through the gun before they'll look at it to analyze a function problem ... Unless of course the problem is severe or it just won't run at all. I think that's pretty reasonable when you think of all changes and modifications that are done to a totally custom gun.

I'd guess that 90+% of all 1911 functional issues are due to inexperienced users, kitchen table gun smithing ... Or 'drop-in' supposed custom parts designed to make the gun 'better' or 'cooler looking' ... Both of which are stupid goals if you don't know what you're doing ... Which is most people ... Including myself.

An inexperienced 1911 owner with a Brownells or Midway 1911 catalog is the worst thing that can happen to an innocent 1911.

Most 1911's work just fine from shot 1 if you leave them the hell alone.

REV
I agree, however the CMD I bought was about as tight as any new pistol I have ever owned. cleaned it and gave it some oil pre first trip. I have owned several 1911's over the last 40 years or so, Springfield, Kimber, etc. the CMD was and is stock, there is really no need to modify this weapon, it is damn good just the way it is. I did have several malfunctions initially, but after shooting and cleaning/lube again the malfunctions went away. I guess the only other thing I did that may have helped was lightly polish the feed ramp and chamber.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I don't necessarily "break in" a new firearm. I always field strip them, deburr if needed, lube. Then I will run about 100 rounds thru just to get used to it. My Colts have never needed any deburring nor did the SR1911 or Rev's favorite Kimbers. :lol:
My RIA did need a hard Arkansas stone ran over the edges. I've noticed that the cheaper the gun, the more chance that it may need a little deburring. I like to get any metal chips or burrs out before they have a chance to wear or gall on any moving surfaces.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
As far as break in I work the slide back and forth several times. I did this with my Nano and left the slide locked open for a few days. Anyone who knows about the Beretta Nano. Mine had 6 fte out of 50 rounds even with the 124gr.I haven't had any problems Would leaving the slide in the locked open position make a difference

Latest posts