SR1911 5" vs. SR1911 CMD, Yea or Nea ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sz20DF

Bearcat
My guess is this subject has been discussed before, but I'm new and can't locate a post. I have many Ruger SA's and DA's, but it's time for a pistol. I would appreciate any comments I can get on these two SR1911's. Yea or nea, up or down vote, is there a best of both worlds ?, etc. It will see only the inside of a range. Thanks, Ed

Shooter McGavin

Bearcat
Hello Sz,

I have had Ruger revolvers for many years, and like you, just got into the "pistol world". I got the SR1911 Commander size. It felt great in my hand, and thought if I ever did carry it, it is a bit smaller than the 5".

I love it and it shoots great. In my opinion, you won't go wrong either way. However, the previous comments I'm sure are from more experienced shooters.

Good luck w/ your decision. Best, Bob

JTQ

Bearcat
There is only 3/4" of an inch in barrel difference.

I recall a Jeff Cooper comment saying there is no carry pistol better than a lightweight Commander. However, he also commented, that unless you are getting a lightweight Commander, you'd be better off with a Government size.

eveled

Hawkeye
JTQ said:

I recall a Jeff Cooper comment saying there is no carry pistol better than a lightweight Commander. However, he also commented, that unless you are getting a lightweight Commander, you'd be better off with a Government size.

What I was going to say. :D . For the range; full size, For carry; lightweight commander.

Mus408

Hunter
I too own several SA revolvers,plus a Glock 23. I liked the size and feel of the SR 1911 CMD,and happened to get one at a good price. I love it and it's my carry gun,as it feels much better in my IWB carry than the thicker Glock 23. Plus it is proving to be a great little shooter!!
http://youtu.be/YJ46Zl0p74A

MacA

Bearcat
I am also of the opinion that you can't go wrong either way. But it really is a personal choice. I've owned several Government and Commander sized 1911s, but the CMD is my first Ruger 1911. I have to say it is one of the best 1911 deals on the market.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
If its only purpose is range time chances are the fulsize would be better but that said check them both out the balance is different and you may find one more accommodating than the other I know I did

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
How is the CMD better for carry? The barrel points down, it could be 3" or 7", the butt is what sticks out and is hard to conceal. The 2.6 oz difference in weight surely can't make a difference. I had an officer (that I foolishly sold way back when in anticipation of buying a Ruger 1911 :cry: ) that was certainly easier to carry and conceal. An officer size Ruger would have me looking again.

There have been reports here from those who own both of no difference in accuracy. If that's the case flip a coin.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
There have been reports here from those who own both of no difference in accuracy. If that's the case flip a coin.

Maybe not accuracy of the guns themselves if fired offhand, although I would doubt that fact if it was tested scientifically. From a user point of view, an extra 3/4 inch in sight radius never hurt any gun or shooter ......

And yes, if you can carry a commander, you can carry a govt. Other than that 3/4 inch, which you correctly point out is simply an extra 3/4 inch downwards, there's virtually no difference in 'carry ability'. Most people will just blindly say that the shorter gun is better for carry.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
eveled said:
JTQ said:

For carry; lightweight commander.

Which means a Colt, rather than the Ruger ? :D

I'd also say an Officers Model is a better carry option than ANY commander.

REV

Shooter McGavin

Bearcat
revhigh, Please excuse my ignorance...what is the difference between an "Officer's Model" and a "Commander"? I thought an Officer's Model was synonymous with Commander...but shows how much I know.

I assume from your previous post that the Officer is the 5"?

Lastly, I was originally considering a Colt Defender (or New Agent) 3", but they were pricey, and the Ruger Commander just felt magical in my hand.

Any input on a 3", .45 ACP for carry? Too small? (i.e. to your previous post about barrel length...)

Happy Holidays, Bob

revhigh

Hawkeye
Shooter McGavin said:
revhigh, Please excuse my ignorance...what is the difference between an "Officer's Model" and a "Commander"? I thought an Officer's Model was synonymous with Commander...but shows how much I know.

I assume from your previous post that the Officer is the 5"?

Lastly, I was originally considering a Colt Defender (or New Agent) 3", but they were pricey, and the Ruger Commander just felt magical in my hand.

Any input on a 3", .45 ACP for carry? Too small? (i.e. to your previous post about barrel length...)

Happy Holidays, Bob

Govt 5"

Cmdr 4.25"

Officer 3.5 " and shorter grip 6 rounds I think

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
GI = full size = 5" barrel & full size grip frame
commander = 4.25" barrel & full size grip frame (shortened dust cover)
officer = 3.5" barrel & shortened grip frame

Kimber compact - 4" barrel & shortened frame.....IMHO this is the sweet spot for a carry 1911.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
They're both great pistols, I've got one of each, but for carry (CCW) purposes, at least now in my old age...they're heavy! Good leather makes a difference of course, but that 3/4" shorter barrel on the Commander isn't much. As Rev/Armadin pointed out, it's the grip length of the Officer's Model that makes it a better carry piece, not the barrel length. A better "Officer's Model" in my opinion is the Sig RCS model...I've shot three of them, & son #2 has one for carry. I thought the shortened frame, alloy at that, would make it difficult to handle...I was wrong...with the longer barrel of the Commander, and that 1/4" shorter grip, it's a sweet gun...but takes some getting used to with that slightly odd Sig take on slide shape. See the 3rd pic below.

The Rugers with steel frames and a full magazine and one up the spout weigh the following: 5" Gov't model = 44.5 oz, Commander = 42.8 oz according to my postal scale. Not light by any means. And Colts are within a half oz. at least in my Combat Commander and Gold Cup .45 models...loaded of course.

Where the Commander shines, at least in my use, is its ability to tuck into my right rear jeans pocket for informal carry here on our farm. The longer 5" barreled model is just too long and tries to topple out if I attempt to carry it there. And for me personally, I've found that the Commander balances a bit better in the hand (in the steel frame model) and, too, I've found no real world difference in accuracy despite the 3/4" inter-sight distance shooting from a field position, ie. not off bags or a rest.

Wish Ruger would make up a run with the light weight alloy frame, gosh knows they've got experience thataway in heavy caliber sixguns; shouldn't be much of a leap to cast and machine out a 1911 frame. All in all, if given a choice between the two lengths, in Colt or Ruger models, I'd pick the Commander every time. Here's some gun-p*rn for ya. 1st pic as issued....2nd with three fitted slides in 9mm, .38 Super and .22 lr. Pretty versatile, tho both 1911 Tuner and Rev are not fans of off-caliber 1911's...LOL...I like 'em!

HTH's Rod

New perched on our fence rail.

My 4-caliber Ruger CMD.

Sig's excellent RCS model. I like the tritium sights.

Mike J

Hunter
I realize this post is going to display my ignorance. My only experience with 1911's is the result of owning a SR 1911. I was just going to ask ya'alls experience.

I have read a lot of posts on another forum that would seem to indicate that guns with the officers size slide are more malfunction prone. Is this true?

Much of what I have read would seem to indicate that a commander length slide on an officers size frame is one of the most desirable configurations for carry. What are ya'alls thoughts? I am really just asking out of curiousity as I don't have any intention of buying another 1911 right now.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
tho both 1911 Tuner and Rev are not fans of off-caliber 1911's...LOL...I like 'em!.

Actually, not totally true ... I've been looking for a 9mm 1911 for awhile now, and 10mm 1911's have been prevalent for decades, and 10mm is a great caliber, so I'm not that much of a purist that I scoff at any 1911 that dares to be chambered in something other than the venerable 45 ACP.

I will say that the above 3 calibers are the only ones I consider viable in a CF 1911. I flat out HATE the 40 in ANY PLATFORM, and the real oddball calibers like 357 Sig and the 45 GAP don't do anything exceptional over the top 3.

Oops ... 38 Supers are OK too. Nice caliber .... Not interested in one though.

REV

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have both, and it is sort of what feels better or what you like. If you and afford both I would say that would be great.