SR 22 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

markbrumbaugh

Bearcat
While all the concerns and warnings are valid....these concerns darn near apply to having a CHL or even owning a weapon. We need to let us fellow freedom loving gun owners have the right to be freedom loving. That means however they want their lawfully owned private property used, deserves a fellow gun owner's respect. Just my opinion, but we need to respect our community and bloviate less about what others do or like. I've been especially disturbed lately by know-it-all "experts" on other forums talking down to less experienced folks. Opinions can be shared, hopefully without telling someone they are an idiot. (Whoops I may have just done it myself.)

5of7

Hunter
markbrumbaugh said:
While all the concerns and warnings are valid....these concerns darn near apply to having a CHL or even owning a weapon. We need to let us fellow freedom loving gun owners have the right to be freedom loving. That means however they want their lawfully owned private property used, deserves a fellow gun owner's respect. Just my opinion, but we need to respect our community and bloviate less about what others do or like. I've been especially disturbed lately by know-it-all "experts" on other forums talking down to less experienced folks. Opinions can be shared, hopefully without telling someone they are an idiot. (Whoops I may have just done it myself.)

Well put.... 8)

abumpa

Bearcat
If I recall correctly Mag disconnects were developed for those that may find themselves is a struggle for control of their own gun. Like a police officer. Cops go towards trouble daily and do run a greater risk of having a physical confrontation. When a struggle occurs and a cop finds himself in danger of losing his gun he can drop the mag and render the gun nonfunctioning while the mag is removed.

Personally I dislike disconnects especially when they are so poorly done that they make a horrible feeling trigger like on the Mark IIIs. One of the first things I did was remove the disconnect on my Mark III 22-45 and now I enjoy a much improved trigger.

I don't have a sr22 so I am unable to help with the problem however I think removing it is fine. If someone is pulling the trigger with a round in the chamber, and the gun pointed in an unsafe direction, and the mag disconnect is the only thing saving them from disaster, they have much more to worry about than a shyster lawyer.

Before I get jumped on I also think leaving it alone is great if that is your pleasure.

gig

Single-Sixer
You very well maybe right about the origin of the disco; however many LE's prefer Glocks which do not have the accessory.

Seems I recall one reason for them was based on the possible improper "clearing" of a pistol.
Folks would ck chamber, then drop the mag, not realizing that after they cked the chamber another round was loaded from the yet still inserted mag.

gig

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Don't be skeerd, someone has to be first. :wink:

Update-----got the 3/32 roll pin punch, took the action out of the lower frame, could operate the mag disco manually; but it looked like if I took out one more screw, little things would fly all over the place...........

I chickened out.......... :oops:

Still waiting for that brave soul to lead me down the path of unrighteous mag disco removal on a sr22...............

gig

Single-Sixer
Precision32 said:
Can't even tear the firearm down but you're going to re-engineer it!!!
Nope, tearing down is not the problem, putting it back together is my anticipated hangup. :?

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
gig said:
Precision32 said:
Can't even tear the firearm down but you're going to re-engineer it!!!
Nope, tearing down is not the problem, putting it back together is my anticipated hangup. :?

Yeah, getting it apart is a piece of cake. :wink:

Tip of the day: take close up pics before you start from lots of angles, then more as you take stuff off. It helps.

9x19

Hunter
The nun-smiths are alive and well, I see. :cool:

Can't help today, but if I come across the info, I'll pass it on. (I didn't like either of the SR22s I bought well enough to keep them.)

gig

Single-Sixer
For anyone interested in removing the mag disco from their SR-22 check this out:

http://randomguns.blogspot.com/2012/11/removing-magazine-disconnect-in-rugertm.html

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
"One downside to removing the magazine safety is that the magazine will no longer be forcefully ejected from the gun when you push the mag release button. You may have to pull it out."

One of the coolest things about the SR is that when you push the mag release the magazine shoots out like it is on steroids. That is a feature I would not give up.

gig

Single-Sixer
Jwp721 said:
"One downside to removing the magazine safety is that the magazine will no longer be forcefully ejected from the gun when you push the mag release button. You may have to pull it out."

One of the coolest things about the SR is that when you push the mag release the magazine shoots out like it is on steroids. That is a feature I would not give up.
Good point, and since I value the SR-22 as a training tool for the larger caliber pistols, this is certainly something to consider.
One can go through the paces with the SR not using expensive ammo until one gets all the techniques down.