Sixshot's .30 Carbine squirrel zapper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

snappy

Single-Sixer
Posting this for Dick since he's still kicked out of Photobucket for having too much fun. Impressive shooting Sir!

"Got 41 ground squirrels with 50 shots this afternoon. Ruger OM 30 carbine & a 100 gr. Speer half jacket with 12 grs of 2400, really messes them up."

sqrrls_zps6c9e3888.jpg

OM30carbine_zps756f579f.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Not only does Dick have too much fun on Photobucket,, he has triple that in the field!
I'm sure he appreciates you posting his stuff, and those of us who enjoy seeing it thank you as well!
I'm wondering where he dug up some of those old 1/2 jacket bullets from!

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Dang, Dick! That's more squirrels than we saw when I was up. Must have had a bumper crop. Great shooting!!

sixshot

Buckeye
Guys the last 3 times me & old Callshot have been out the squirrels have been everywhere, its been hard to even keep the guns loaded.
It was his turn to drive & we have a long standing tradition that the driver brings the snacks, well....he said he bought 2 lbs of cherries so I'm happy! When he drives up I load my gear & see 8, ya, 8 cherries in the box, he said they were expensive so he left the others home!
I look around for his sunflower seed container, its got about 15 laying in the bottom! Normally neither one of us shoot very good without some serious spitting, BBQ seeds are best.
When we get to our spot the wind is blowing a bit & some rain clouds are close by, just like the day before so maybe we'll get rained out again, didn't happen. The squirrels were everywhere so we split up & started whacking. I've got my OM Blackhawk 30 Carbine, it hasn't been out of the safe since I got the 32 maggie & the 327 maggie. I had forgot how nice the trigger was, my son worked his magic on it & its sweet. My long time badger & rock chuck load with this gun has always been the Speer 100 gr. half jackets & 12 grs of 2400. Luckily I have several hundred loaded & it really messes up ground squirrels. What many people don't realize is that a ground squirrel is a mighty small target unless its standing. A big one will be maybe 7" tall & the small ones probably half that, but they seldom stand. You're usually shooting at a postage stamp size target, the tall grass hides them pretty darn good so you seldom see a whole squirrel.
When we get back to the truck, all sweaty & thirsty I tell Callshot I got 41 with 50 shots, he says he got "about" 20, the way his math has been lately I'm thinking he's got the 2 & the 0 backwards!
But he had the proof so I let him off the hook. Really a fun day, I even had to whack some of them with my S&W 9 because the 30 Carbine was always out of ammo, tons of squirrels.
If we pull off a gathering next year it should be fun. Thanks Snappy!

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
We'll, it is time to straighten things out AGAIN. Yes I drove and Dick complained again. I had been eating my cherries for a week and had a few to share. Very few. I had seeds but he said they were the wrong brand and sour. You can't please him!!! All the squirrels were on his side of the truck. He would take the easy close shots and leave me with the long distance, covered with grass shots. I was missing more than I was hitting. When we split up, I started hitting some. About half of them get away after being shot. I got to gathering some up for a picture. There were 11 I gathered up while my 32 Maggie was cooling down. Dick was on the other side of a fence and suggested I pick up a couple to complete his pile. I couldn't shoot as many as him because I had forgotten to take my hunting license and was concentrating on tending Dick for the afternoon. Here is my pile of squirrels.

I never try competing with Dick. It is easier to let him be the BIG HAT MAN. After all I am fairly new to this game. I always shoot better when he isn't watching. It is always fun when I loose count of how many I get and just keep shooting. No huckleberry shakes were destroyed on this Safari.
Steve