SP101 tooling marks/frame damage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stellerioutdoor

Bearcat
Hello all! Newbie to both the forum and revolvers here. Apologies in advance if these are ignorant questions. Last week I purchased my first ruger handgun (and revolver in general)! An SP101 .357 mag 3" barrel. While VERY impressed with the build quality over all, there is a shallow gouge/machining cut inside the hammer trough on the right hand side of the frame.(pictures attached) Is this simply cosmetic? Or is there any danger of the frame being weakened by this? I bought this with the intention of it being a "forever" gun and it will be used EXTENSIVELY. I've already contacted ruger CS to see if there's a way for them to evaluate.
If it is just cosmetic, is there any aesthetic fix? I haven't fired it yet, and just wanna know its safe to use. Especially with .357. Thank you all so much for your support! Happy to be a part of the forum!
image_6487327 (1).JPG
image_6487327.JPG
image_67173889.JPG
image_67193089.JPG

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

We own a few SP-101's here. We've used ours in teaching clinics,, so they have fired a lot of ammo.

We truly enjoy ours.

I do not think it will have ANY effect on strength or structural integrity. it should be just fine shooting .357 out of it.
But it's obviously a defect in the milling process.

Looking forward to what Ruger has to say about it.

chet15

Hawkeye
Maybe it's one of those that was inspected on a Friday afternoon right before the shift ends, like in the auto industry. ;)
Funny you mention that. My dad used to work at a auto repair shop. They had a customer come in with the complaint that there was a rattle coming from somewhere in the rear end of his new pickup. They tore the quarterpanel off and found a beer can inside.
Chet15

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I just took a real good look at my new Sp 101 and mine is flawless. So how can they send out different qualities . No inspections, tooling that needs replaced , ............?

woodsy

Blackhawk
Funny you mention that. My dad used to work at a auto repair shop. They had a customer come in with the complaint that there was a rattle coming from somewhere in the rear end of his new pickup. They tore the quarterpanel off and found a beer can inside.
Chet15
Which brings to mind an old friend of mine who worked at a Buick dealership (as a mechanic). They had a persistent customer repeatedly complaining about a rattle. Finally someone took the door apart, and found a paper lunch bag with a rock in it, and written on the outside of the bag "Glad you finally found it!".

stellerioutdoor

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!

We own a few SP-101's here. We've used ours in teaching clinics,, so they have fired a lot of ammo.

Ruger CS had me send photos and they said its completely normal, so I suppose we're all good there! It might not be the prettiest, but it certainly adds character I suppose! XD

Looked pretty normal to me as well. I think you do have a gun that will easily last your lifetime and possibly your progeny as well. I've got a few SP 101's as it's literally one of my favorite models. However, IMO the OEM grip just doesn't work for me, especially when I'm shooting magnum loads. The trigger guard whacks my knuckle consistently.
I would strongly suggest you consider the Hogue finger grip, Pachmayers, or Trausch (which are harder to find). Once you get a comfortable grip I think that gun is what you're looking for!!

contender

Ruger Guru
BPJ,, has good points about the SP-101's.

As for his grip comments,, try the ones on it FIRST,,, before you automatically replace any. Everybody has different hand sizes and the "fit & comfort" is different too. Find what fits YOUR hands. If it's the ones on it,, good to go. Otherwise,, there are options.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Typical anymore:confused:, the edges on mine were like razors. Nothing a little carful deburring wont fix.
I read a complaint on another forum ,a fellow bought a Smith from their performance center line-up. He had to have stiches in his finger over a "razor " edge on the trigger .And these guns are not cheap 😲 So seems QC is lacking in other gun companies too .....the

gotta remember that any stainless steel guns that the machining leaves, as noted above "razor sharp " edges and often times need to be "deburred" we always did this in the shop when new ones came in,,,,,,,,recall when the front sight blade on the Ruger Mk I and the Mk II Target models, that front sight was like a can opener, got cut many times........:cool::rolleyes:;)

deac45

Single-Sixer
BPJ,, has good points about the SP-101's.

As for his grip comments,, try the ones on it FIRST,,, before you automatically replace any. Everybody has different hand sizes and the "fit & comfort" is different too. Find what fits YOUR hands. If it's the ones on it,, good to go. Otherwise,, there are options.
I'll second those thoughts and add custom inserts in the factory grip as an option. I did the factory grip/Hogue/Pachmayr goose chase until finally ending up with the factory grip with custom inserts just slightly thicker than stock.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I read a complaint on another forum ,a fellow bought a Smith from their performance center line-up. He had to have stiches in his finger over a "razor " edge on the trigger .And these guns are not cheap 😲 So seems QC is lacking in other gun companies too .....the
I agree with the Rugers, I have a few S&Ws all are great. I bought a Redhawk 45Auto/45LC, the .45 ACP moon clip cut out, was not cut square to the cylinder so the ACP rounds would not even let you close the cylinder. That one somehow got lost at the Ruger factory in New Hampshire, and they replaced it with a new one. I think QC is lacking anymore

Last edited:

davidkachel

Bearcat
Hello all! Newbie to both the forum and revolvers here. Apologies in advance if these are ignorant questions. Last week I purchased my first ruger handgun (and revolver in general)! An SP101 .357 mag 3" barrel. While VE
My hammer (new gun just received today) hugs the left side of the frame, just like yours. Other disappointments on my gun, too.

harley08

Blackhawk
Ruger CS had me send photos and they said its completely normal, so I suppose we're all good there! It might not be the prettiest, but it certainly adds character I suppose! XD
I just looked at mine. It looks exactly like yours!
They are great guns!