SP101 - splitting brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

paboxcall

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
paboxcall said:
Then I reloaded again, and the empty in the marked hole got stuck.

That made me scratch my head...

Any suggestions?...

John

Call Ruger and describe the problem, that cylinder isn't right. They need to fix that for you. Ask for a shipping label to send the gun back to them. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

On its way today!

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Shoot a different brand of ammo, it's not the gun, try CCI 135gr ammo
it is made for a short barrel gun, 100gr is to light and uses more powder so it is hotter the problems you discribe are caused by high pressure toss the eagle ammo it's not working in your gun.

Snobal

Bearcat
I've been reloading since the 1960's.

"Almost never" had a split case.

I've had over 70 re loadings from a lot of Remington .41 Mag brass, over 60 reloading from a lot of Starline .357 Mag Brass, and almost all case failures have been from split necks --- not split cases.

JMHO --- YRMV

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the problem description - I admit that split brass on an unfired case is a new one for me. Suggestions to change ammo are not taking the problem seriously. At this point you want to measure the unfired and the fired cases with a caliper or micrometer. Then measure the chambers. That's the only correct way to prove where the problem lies. Are the chambers smooth? Do the splits happen in all cylinders or in only one of the cylinders? In any case you should demand a new cylinder that is bored to correct dimensions.

It is highly doubtful that a new brass case will split even with a hot load. The case is simply unsupported and being asked to expand beyond its limits. 99.9% probability is that the chamber is too large, and I am very sorry to see that kind of work coming from the factory.

Carry_Up

paboxcall

Bearcat
Carry_Up said:
The case is simply unsupported and being asked to expand beyond its limits. 99.9% probability is that the chamber is too large, and I am very sorry to see that kind of work coming from the factory.

Carry_Up

That's where I finally landed, and when you consider only one hole in six is causing a problem trying to eject the empties, it can't be the ammo. Its at the factory right now, and I'm awaiting its return.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Of course it is easy to understand that if a case splits, it will eject with difficulty because the brass has gone beyond its ability to stretch and return. One faulty chamber on a cylinder is too many.

The case diameter for .38 spl and .357 mag is .379". In the meanwhile, call Clymer Reamers and ask them what the recommended chamber size is for this caliber. Oops, sorry, you have a .327. Since this is a new cartridge, it is hard to find the data. Clymer will know. I hope the dimensions and pressures on this round are not still being debated!

Then request that Ruger specify the inside dimensions of your new gun or new cylinder BEFORE they ship it back to you. I say this because the likely scenario is that they will pull a cylinder out of their parts box, install it and ship it without doing any checking.

Measuring the inside diameter takes a tool most people don't have, but you may have a smith in your area that will help you confirm the measurements before you shoot. Almost all the problems I have seen with chambers are tapered chambers (hard to load) or ones that are too tight (hard to eject). Neither of these problems cause split cases. Even though it probably won't help, you might write a letter pointing out the obvious - that incorrect chamber size is dangerous to the shooter, and could easily cost you your life in a defensive situation...along with your own thoughts on quality control or lack therof. Just my 2 cents worth.

Carry_Up

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
The photo in the OP looks like a batch of bad brass. It will be interesting to see what Ruger does with the gun.

Federal 32 H&R brass was notorious for just that kind of failure.

I have experienced that failure not only with Federal 32 H&R but also with a box of Remington 357 once.

Even if Ruger replaces the cylinder I would be inclined to believe it was the brass and not the gun.

paboxcall

Bearcat
clayflingythingy said:
The photo in the OP looks like a batch of bad brass. It will be interesting to see what Ruger does with the gun.

I have experienced that failure not only with Federal 32 H&R but also with a box of Remington 357 once.

Even if Ruger replaces the cylinder I would be inclined to believe it was the brass and not the gun.

I tried different lots of the same AE 100 grain load, and they all hung up in the same hole. The other five would drop out with little effort, the sixth spent casing would be stuck requiring me to tap the rod ont he table to lift the shell out of the cylinder.

I too had hoped it was an ammo issue, but after indexing the cylinder I found it was a problem hole instead.

Verndog

Blackhawk
paboxcall said:
clayflingythingy said:

I tried different lots of the same AE 100 grain load, and they all hung up in the same hole. The other five would drop out with little effort, the sixth spent casing would be stuck requiring me to tap the rod ont he table to lift the shell out of the cylinder.

I too had hoped it was an ammo issue, but after indexing the cylinder I found it was a problem hole instead.

Scarry but sounds much like the early issues with oversized bores only I believe it was 2 of the 6 holes before. They likely drill and bore or ream these cylinders with a multi spindle machine. What can happen is a drill goes dull and it will drill oversized then the reamer or boring tool will not clean up the hole.

I had read that they were checking cylinders 100% now....from the sounds of this it would appear to be BS and crap is still getting thru...that is very concerning.

I had read of these issues and before taking delivery of mine, I ID miced all the bores (I'm a machinist with all tools needed)...they were all within less then .001 which is very good.

Edit...I just checked with go / nogo pins and my cylinder bores are .340 dia. go .341 dia nogo (all 6 the same) for those that want to verify size. The .341 pin starts as there is a small amount of taper at load end (ease of load). .327 mags are .334 diameter +/-.001 or so. This leaves .006 average clearance.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
paboxcall said:
clayflingythingy said:

Gotcha! Should have read the whole thread more carefully!

Verndog

Blackhawk
paboxcall said:
Excellent point but they are factory American Eagle 100 grain loads. I don't reload.

Will have a chance over the weekend to try this ammo lot in the Blackhawk to see what happens.

John

John, did you ever find out what the problem was, ammo or your new SP? :?:

paboxcall

Bearcat
Verndog said:
paboxcall said:
Excellent point but they are factory American Eagle 100 grain loads. I don't reload.

Will have a chance over the weekend to try this ammo lot in the Blackhawk to see what happens.

John

John, did you ever find out what the problem was, ammo or your new SP? :?:

Ruger replaced the SP101. Sent me a new one from the factory, so I'm anxious to shoot this one to see what the difference is.

Trapaddict

Bearcat
Well, you are not alone. I had the exact thing happen to me with the American Eagle 100 Gr JSP's. I just got my SP101 in 327 Fed back from Ruger today. It is sporting a brand new cylinder too. I sent it in at their expense about 2 weeks ago and they turned it around pretty quick. One complaint I have is that the thing is really gritty feeling now when cocking it in single action mode. It was not when it went in. Hopefully it wears in after a few boxes. My gun was out of the range of problem guns as far as I know based on what I had read on this site. Guess not.

Jeff

Latest posts