SP101 feels less "sloppy" than GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
When I purchased my SP101 in 357mag stainless (for edc) I also looked at the GP100. The sp101 seemed like all the parts were better put together and the sp101 had a more positive cylinder lockup.

I know many say the sp101 is just a smaller version of the GP100, or is it?

contender

Ruger Guru
All machines,,(guns are a machine,) can be tight or "sloppy" depending upon how they are assembled. It's not a model specific thing. Two identical guns can be totally different. It has nothing to do with the design.
When the guns are being built, the assemblers have "specs" to follow. If they install a part, and it falls into the correct specs,, it gets approved for the next step of assembly.
Some just finish out better than others.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Kinda depends on whether the two examples were brand new, or not. Other than that, contender has it nailed.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
They were new. The gp100 was the blued version and my so101 is stainless. I find that most rugers feel tighter than there s&w counterparts too.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
"Feel" is, by definition, about the most subjective thing you can name. Suit yourself, by all means, but one thing won't suit everyone, ever...

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Seem to be tighter fitting, rather than feel. Not as loose fitting in their lockup of cylinders.

I suspect just because of its size and its relatively rough and heavy action, the SP101 could seem tighter.

But sloppy is a term I would never use to describe any GP100 I've experienced, compared to anything!

Every gun is an island. And every gun owner is also an island.

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I have GPs that are very tight , in fact two were fitted so tight they locked up after 2 cylinders.

All 3 of my SPs and the early 90s model I owned until the barrel blew off (Ruger replaced it with one I have now) have grittier, rougher actions than any of my GPs. I always wrote it off to the physics of the more compact action squeezing everything in there

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Stock SP101 springs make single action cocking pretty much academic under any kind of adrenaline dump

I wish Ruger sold spurless SP hammers like they used to sell "Speed Hammers" for the Six series.

SPs are like J-frames, they're for double action defensive shooting , the hammer spur is just there to give people a feel good crutch

I just fired my 9mm SP today. I actually shoot it better at 15 in DA than SA. Getting a proper trigger pull with the pad of my finger is too difficult. I'd rather just hook the middle joint of my trigger finger around the trigger and crank it back.

The GP is much more conducive to actual shooting, the small size of the SP is a tradeoff.

Both are equally as prone to either slop or tightness

wproct

Single-Sixer
The sp101 and GP100 revolver actions, although very similar in design feel quite different. GP100 revolvers will vary in fit, but I never found them to be sloppy. I have owned several GP100 revolvers but only one sp101 which I no longer own. I never cared for the action of a sp101, mostly because of the smaller design ergonomics. I wish I had just accepted this as a compromise for the smaller size and kept it, but I didn't.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The sp101 and GP100 revolver actions, although very similar in design feel quite different. GP100 revolvers will vary in fit, but I never found them to be sloppy. I have owned several GP100 revolvers but only one sp101 which I no longer own. I never cared for the action of a sp101, mostly because of the smaller design ergonomics. I wish I had just accepted this as a compromise for the smaller size and kept it, but I didn't.
The smaller size makes it tougher to play around with springs and "fluff and buff" of the action

And often, heavier springs in a Ruger make the action feel better which is contrary to what most people think about revolvers. Some S&W owners want that "like oiled glass" DA pull with the light, even DA pull but going light on a Ruger often gives the gun that "cap gun" action that feels light but also lets you feel all the rough fitting, grittiness and staginess that is masked by a heavier spring.

I've had Rugers that shot worse with lighter springs and a particular GP100 that I put a Six series spring in and it drives tacks now . Rugers are their own animal, sometimes you have to just meet them where they are

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Stock SP101 springs make single action cocking pretty much academic under any kind of adrenaline dump

I wish Ruger sold spurless SP hammers like they used to sell "Speed Hammers" for the Six series.

SPs are like J-frames, they're for double action defensive shooting , the hammer spur is just there to give people a feel good crutch

I just fired my 9mm SP today. I actually shoot it better at 15 in DA than SA. Getting a proper trigger pull with the pad of my finger is too difficult. I'd rather just hook the middle joint of my trigger finger around the trigger and crank it back.

The GP is much more conducive to actual shooting, the small size of the SP is a tradeoff.

Both are equally as prone to either slop or tightness
As far as spurless SP hammers go, you can find a spurred hammer online and use a dremel & cutoff wheel to remove the spur and reshape/contour with the drum sanding wheel. Hand file to smooth then sand & polish. I got one for my speed six & GP100 3" on eBay and they came out well for a rookie. If you do this make sure you try the new hammer before you do the work in case the seller sent the wrong hammer. I learned that the hard way. IMG_0942.JPG

Last edited: