SP101 ease of cocking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tedwhite

Bearcat
Unless you go to the gym regularly (and most of us older guys don't), as we age our muscles weaken, and if you have an arthritic hand some of us will not be able to cock a new SP101. There was a recent discussion of this (which I can no longer locate) and several of us had this problem. One solution is lighter springs, someone said. So I took it to the lgs, where I bought the gun, because they have a skilled, experienced gunsmith, and had him install lighter springs. These made the difference between not being able to cock the gun and being able to cock the gun. Still not as buttery-smooth as an old Model 36,but certainly doable. The gunsmith, noting that it was unfired said, "Shoot the hell out of it. Should get smoother and DA and SA should become easier." I forgot what the factory specs are for DA/SA. Does anyone know so I'll have something to compare the new measurements to?

Or you can at least "dry fire" the hell out of it. I'm thinking the older guns that aren't MIM are better candidates for lightening up. None of my 3"ers have MIM parts and with a fair amount of dry firing lighten up. Either that or I'm getting stronger. :)

tedwhite

Bearcat
Thanks, Bear Paw, and I finally located some trigger pull data. Gun Tests evaluated two SP101s, the first model #5718 had an SA of 4.6 lbs; the second KSP-321X had an SA of 5.6 lbs. Both had a DA of 12.0 lbs. The trigger-pull tool at the lgs didn't measure that high but gave a consistent SA on my Gun #575-477xx of 4.3 lbs. Not much difference there after a $50 spring job. But the real benefit derives from the ease of cocking

Does any one know the year(s) of the 575 series, or can point me in a direction or thread that might give answers?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
One thing you may consider,, is a different method of cocking a gun in SA mode. I use my "off" hand thumb to cock my SA's as it allows better leverage AND doesn't mess with my primary hand grip. Just offering a bit of info.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Contender, yes, I've tried that; works well. And doesn't mess with your strong hand's grip. But before the spring job even that was hard, although it did allow me to cock the gun - but if you did it a dozen times you probably wouldn't have much skin left on your weak hand's thumb. Post spring job now it's easy.

Finally found (from Ruger, duh) a list of SP101 serial numbers. Mine was manufactured in 2014. bought NIB from a lgs in 2016

contender

Ruger Guru
Good to know you tried that,,,, as it can help your shooting. But, as you have found, a set of springs can help. One of the best things is a properly done action clean up by a good gunsmith. I don't mean having someone hone & polish things to a super light, match type action, but just cleaning up the tool marks, mating the contact surfaces etc to where it makes the action smoother, and as such, easier to operate.
A gunsmith can do it, or you can to a lot of dry-firing or shooting to get the parts to work upon themselves to smooth out.

As for the shipping date,, the Ruger site can be helpful,,, but often, it has errors in it, especially with older guns. We use the Red Eagle News Exchange Guide for a more accurate detailing of guns around here. But, the most recent of the Guide was 2010.

s4s4u

Hunter
I use my "off" hand thumb to cock my SA's as it allows better leverage AND doesn't mess with my primary hand grip.

The only way to fly, in my eyes. This way you don't affect your grip and can fire quicker strings and maintain tighter groups doing so.

Thel

Blackhawk
Before I had my SP101 tuned the double action measured 14 lbs and single 5+ lbs. When I got it back and with a spring change to 9 lb mainspring and 8 lb trigger return the double action is 8.4 lbs and single around 2.75 lbs. The tuning, besides a spring change, entailed smoothing and polishing. The checkering on the hammer is a bit sharp so I took a file and carefully dulled the checkering and edges of the hammer which has made cocking far easier. The trigger is lighter than a tuned Colt Magnum Carry I used to have as a comparison.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You don't need to cock a self defense revolver. Shooting double-action is the only way to go. If you can't do an SP perhaps you should try an LCR, which is much easier to pull the trigger.

...or if you are just shooting for fun perhaps a GP-100 would work better. :D

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I believe Ruger lawyers set the DA at 14+ and the SA at 5. That sucks bad. That is unacceptable.
I called twice and tried to talk to them about my brand new SP101. They said 14 was within specs and they wouldn't touch it. That is from the famous Ruger support.

No DA can claim crap if it's above 10. 14 is not pullable for many people. Accuracy above 10 can not be done.

I have it repaired from New Ruger factory specs now and it cost another $245. I have it now at 8 and 3. It also now has light strikes.

This is a bad design. My opinion, Ruger should drop it.

For you Ruger fan boys, help me keep Ruger the great company that Bill Sr. started by letting them know when they screw up.

Prescott boy

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Light strikes are a poor trade off for a reduced trigger pull. Definantly not for me in a defense gun. 100% reliability is the only acceptable level. I use ISMI springs and original cast hammers (two w/ spurs and two w/o spurs DAO) in my 4 SP101's. The ISMI springs give a smooth trigger pull with 100% ignition with all brands of American primers. They are not the lightest weight available but they are 100% reliable. The sharper checkering on the original cast hammer spurs make for much easier cocking than the newer MIM hammers with the wimpy checkering. I too have arthritis in my hands but the ISMI Springs, Cast Hammer combination works DA and SA.

Best Regards,
ADP3

tedwhite

Bearcat
jimbo357mag: I actually have a GP100MC. It's my range and sometimes hunting gun. Works fine.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Now that I can cock it, I've decided to keep it. Ordered a set of wood grips from Eagle Secret Service and a Predator OWB from Wright Leather Works.

By the way, the SP101 is NOT a J-frame. A holster made for a Model 36 is not an exact fit: in my opinion the trigger guard on the SP101 is bigger or shaped differently - I don't have a Model 36 (and none of my friends have one) to compare it to. The LGS has a large holster inventory. Some are even labeled "fits j-frame/SP101." The Ruger goes in but not far enough: the actual trigger is still exposed. Not good.

Rob72

Bearcat
Prescut said:
I believe Ruger lawyers set the DA at 14+ and the SA at 5. That sucks bad. That is unacceptable.
I called twice and tried to talk to them about my brand new SP101. They said 14 was within specs and they wouldn't touch it. That is from the famous Ruger support.

No DA can claim crap if it's above 10. 14 is not pullable for many people. Accuracy above 10 can not be done.

I have it repaired from New Ruger factory specs now and it cost another $245. I have it now at 8 and 3. It also now has light strikes.

This is a bad design. My opinion, Ruger should drop it.

For you Ruger fan boys, help me keep Ruger the great company that Bill Sr. started by letting them know when they screw up.

Prescott boy
Acceptable design, crappy execution. I don't believe that any modern manufacturer has real smiths on-staff any more. "Repair" usually entails slapping something against a wire wheel, or plugging in a (-) spec or (+) spec part.

Ok, having said that, unless someone put really light springs in your pistol, I would suspect that your hammer-nose is too long, and not allowing full contact with the transfer bar. One of those details a smith would check before sending the piece out...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rob72 said:
Acceptable design, crappy execution. I don't believe that any modern manufacturer has real smiths on-staff any more. "Repair" usually entails slapping something against a wire wheel, or plugging in a (-) spec or (+) spec part.

Ok, having said that, unless someone put really light springs in your pistol, I would suspect that your hammer-nose is too long, and not allowing full contact with the transfer bar. One of those details a smith would check before sending the piece out...
The SP-101's come from the factory pretty rough with a very heavy trigger pull. They need to have the sharp edges knocked off with a file and then sandpaper. The hammer checkering needs to be worked over so it isn't so sharp. The mechanics need to be cleaned and polished and lubed for smooth operation and then lighter springs installed and tested to get a good trigger pull and trigger return and good primer ignition, both single and double-action. After that it is a fine little tank of a gun. :D

Rob72

Bearcat
tedwhite said:
Now that I can cock it, I've decided to keep it. Ordered a set of wood grips from Eagle Secret Service and a Predator OWB from Wright Leather Works.

By the way, the SP101 is NOT a J-frame. A holster made for a Model 36 is not an exact fit: in my opinion the trigger guard on the SP101 is bigger or shaped differently - I don't have a Model 36 (and none of my friends have one) to compare it to. The LGS has a large holster inventory. Some are even labeled "fits j-frame/SP101." The Ruger goes in but not far enough: the actual trigger is still exposed. Not good.
Ted, I've always enjoyed The Bianchi Lightening for my (self-cut) bobbed SPs and J frames. Ross Gunleather makes their version, which may be slightly more available and slightly cheaper. BladeTech makes a nice IWB holster for the 3" that can be cut down, if needed.

tedwhite

Bearcat
I it's the Ross I'm thinking of, they're located in South Africa. I still have one of their holsters for a G-17 back when I was a Ranger. I heard the leather was from cape buffalo. Sure is one rugged holster. Actually I have ordered a Wright Leather Works Predator OWB, so holsters are covered.

FatCat

Bearcat
Just bought a SP-101 4.2in barrel .357mag just last week. On my gauge the hammer spring was 14# and the return trigger spring was 10#.Wolff makes a spring kit that has a 9#,10#,12# hammer springs and a 8# trigger return spring.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Maybe Wolf is the way to go, then instead of Apex? But does 8# trigger return spring translate into an 8# pull? In which case I don't need it as I'm at 4.3#.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
( Speaking of the larger universe of DA revolvers.)

12Lb is an average pull weight. 10Lb is light. 14Lb is on the upper end of the "normal" spectrum . And as long as the DA pull is reasonably smooth isn't a barrier to decent shooting.

Weight per se is much less important than smooth and consistant.