SP101 and custom sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Roliemu

Bearcat
I've only been a member of the forum for a month or so, made a couple of purchases and have been impressed with the integrity, honesty and intense knowledge of so many of the forum members.. Quite impressed. Now for a question that I can't locate an answer for even on past forum comments. I have an SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum which I intend to complete a bit of a "makeover" on.. Will have trigger work done, barrel throating, cylinder finish ream and hone, remove endshake etc. if necessary. The one issue I can't find info on is replacing BOTH front and rear sights. Obviously this will require some machining work, particularly for the rear sight. I'd like to consider Novak style, XS, Trijicon or even the Wiley Clapp style sights from the GP100..... Basically a fast access iron sight system. Has anyone tackled such a project? I haven't contacted Gemini or Bowen ( the long wait times concern me) to discuss. I have read that a few smiths have concern with removing/machining the rear sight strap area for fear of reducing the frame strength. Any experience, suggestions or info would be appreciated!

hittman

Staff member
https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers/

I've never heard a bad thing about these folks. They supplied a front site for an SP I had once.

If I were looking, I'd call Marc at Gemini to discuss my options.

radjxf

Bearcat
Off the top of my head, these guys can install sights:

Cylinder and Slide
Alpha Precision
Gemini Custom
Bowen

Like anything these days, a front and rear sight install may cost half the price of the gun.

Gemini also sells/installs fiber optic/gold bead/tritium front sights....

Roliemu

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the info.. This confirms my thoughts. I'll check with several of them on their pricing and wait time. I'll let you know what the outcome is..