SP101---2.25" or 3.06" barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
A 22 LR will penetrate further into a block of ballistic gelatin as compared to a 12 GA foster slug. This blows my mind. I don't have the link handy but a quick google search will show some similar studies, that have been conducted, over the years.

Maybe it would be wise to load a couple bird shot rounds before some hollow points. This sounds like it may be a good idea for those who pack 44's for home protection, if over penetration is a concearn.

Also, about the 4" GP being a better gun. I agree with this statement 100%. The 4" Security, Sevice, Speed six Rugers get high marks in my book as well. I like the models with fixed rear sights. Learn to shoot one and trust your life to it. There is no rear sight to get "bumped off" or snagged on clothing.

I'm just not the biggest fan of the SP-101's. They are small and handy guns that DO offer snag free sights. I just like the 4" Service six better. They feel like they are of a higher quality and I like the grip feel on a Servix Six better than the square and rubbery feel of the SP-101 grips. You can almost always get a Service Six for a much better price than an SP-101 (and the SS is a better gun IMO). However, having an SP-101 in the nightstand, for protection, is better than having nothing in there at all. Like I said before....if you are fixed on getting one of the SP's then I would choose the 3" model. Just keep your options open, that's all.

78CJ5

Bearcat
I own both the 2.25 and the 3" model SP 101's. The 2.25 mod is the one that wears my CT grips and my EDC and nightstand gun.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I prefer that the nightstand gun be concealable. Not infrequently, criminals actually do knock on the door and confront the homes occcupants. The ones who come busting the door down seem to be the exception. More frequently, they knock get the owner to come to the door and then force their way in. This actually happens in daylight. Also, a shorter barrel is more difficult to get away from you. A hand to hand struggle is likely. There is no need for the single action feature and you dont need to defend accusations of "accidentally" shooting someone who came through your door or window at 2AM. 6 Shots is an advqantage. Concealment is a bigger advantage. My vote is for the 2.25" DAO SP101 or the 2.5" Security/Speed Six. The 2.25" DAO SP101 works well in winter as a "pocket gun" and I find it nearly as accurate as the GP100. In fact, Im starting to see 4" barrel guns as rather useless, since they are not easily concealed. In my opinion, the next step beyond a 3" barreled revolver is a shotgun. A 2.5" or 3" revolver in the nightstand and a hammerless double barrel shotgun (women seem to understand them better than a pump) under the bed (for her) seems like an excellent combination.

maxpress

Buckeye
i have traded off my 2" sp101s and kept the 3" so you can guess my vote.

nightstand guns are either 12 or 20 ga.

freind lives bout an hour away and the big thing there is to knock persistantly till someone answers. no one answers then they pry out a back window with a nail bar. someone answers then they are looking for a freinds house. my doorbell is my cell phone. you can knock all day but my friends and family know to call/text and say "im out front"