SP-101 .327 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I had recently sold my LCR in that caliber and ordered the SP-101. I shot it yesterday and was quite impressed with how the SP-101 shoots the .327 Mag. The heavier frame and longer barrel controlled the cartridge much better than the LCR did. It is great fun to shoot and the firearm is quite accurate. The power level of the .327 Magnum is considerable but the recoil is noticeably less than the .357 in the same firearm. I have kept the .357 mostly because it makes an excellent and compact vehicle for .38 Special or +P. I also have the SP-101 in 22 LR. As one might imagine, I am most enamored of the firearm in all calibers so far.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, the SP-101 is nice.
As for the differences in felt recoil,, it's all about physics. Heavier guns; less felt recoil. Lighter guns; more felt recoil. For shooting, heavier is more desirable. For long term carry,,, lighter guns are more desirable.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I bought the 3" SP-101 in 32 H&R first in early 90's. I liked it but did not carry then so it was not fired alot. I then bought the 3" in 327 in about 2010 used for about $425. This was when no ammo seemed to exist and the guns were being dropped. I later bought a 9mm, .22s and lately, the 4" SP with fiber optic front sight. All these are nice. What's missing?? One in .38 or .357!!

When I had the chance to get the LCR, I figured recoil would be significant even with 85gr. "Low Recoil" rounds since it is so light. It wasn't that bad but was pretty tough with 100gr. Softpoint American Eagles. I shot one cylinder of the 115 Gold Dots. That was enough for me. I really liked the Hornady Critical Defense 80 gr.32 H&R loads in that gun, very controllable.

As Contender said, it is all about physics and selecting the right ammo that the gun likes and you can handle or learn to handle. I like both guns but I would rather carry an LCR any day due to weight alone.

My .02 from an avid .32 shooter,

32Magfan

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
I got into starting my collection about seven years ago,and I just realize I don't know what a SP 101 .327 Mag. looks like. I have a the SP101 .357 Mag. google here I come.