Some will call it blasphemy, but I just traded off my SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
Bought that 45 new a few years ago, had maybe 2500rnds though it.
Traded it for a very low round count Glock 33 in .357 sig with 4 mags 2 stock G33 and one G31 full size all with Pearce extenders on them and a new in the package 29rnd Glock stick mag, a decent kydex holster and enough ammo to fill all the mags.
With my nerve problems and hand weakness I got where I began to feel that I could not safely handle the 1911. Just unloading it the other night, I accidentally rechambered the round I was trying to eject because I did not grip the slide firm enough to get it back all the way and flip up the slide catch and I came close to having a brainfart moment with a loaded gun.
I decided to keep an eye out for a smaller and easier to handle CCW pistol for EDC. I have shot the smaller Glocks in 9mm, 40, 45acp and 10mm, and 357 sig in the past and remembered that I liked the way the smaller Glock handled with the 357 Sig. And out of a short barrel, 357 Sig is a serious punch.
So I say adios to my Ruger 1911, decent 1911, but I think I like decocker guns like the Sig P220 in 45acp better.
I might pick up a commander sized 1911 in the future or stick with 357 Sig as I have Single actions in 45 Colt and could just pick up a 45acp cylinder in the future.

Terry T

Buckeye
A gun is simply a tool and if it doesn't do the intended job for you, it's best to get one that does.
No point in getting too hung up on brand loyalty or design loyalty - if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

I held off on getting a Glock and then I won one at a NRA dinner - 'beauty is as beauty does' and the Glock does. I'm impressed with how well it shoots for me. And since I won the Glock, I didn't have to give up the SR1911! :D
For me, for now, both the 1911 AND the Glock work - just took the SR1911 in 9mm to the 4 day class at Front Sight and shot very well with it. The light weight Glock in .45acp would have beat me up over 4 days and 600 rds.! :shock: Different tools for different tasks.
Terry T

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Don Lovel said:
Bought that 45 new a few years ago, had maybe 2500rnds though it.
Traded it for a very low round count Glock 33 in .357 sig with 4 mags 2 stock G33 and one G31 full size all with Pearce extenders on them and a new in the package 29rnd Glock stick mag, a decent kydex holster and enough ammo to fill all the mags.
With my nerve problems and hand weakness I got where I began to feel that I could not safely handle the 1911. Just unloading it the other night, I accidentally rechambered the round I was trying to eject because I did not grip the slide firm enough to get it back all the way and flip up the slide catch and I came close to having a brainfart moment with a loaded gun.
I decided to keep an eye out for a smaller and easier to handle CCW pistol for EDC. I have shot the smaller Glocks in 9mm, 40, 45acp and 10mm, and 357 sig in the past and remembered that I liked the way the smaller Glock handled with the 357 Sig. And out of a short barrel, 357 Sig is a serious punch.
So I say adios to my Ruger 1911, decent 1911, but I think I like decocker guns like the Sig P220 in 45acp better.
I might pick up a commander sized 1911 in the future or stick with 357 Sig as I have Single actions in 45 Colt and could just pick up a 45acp cylinder in the future.

Don Lovel,
I rack my SR1911 on my work bench. Place the Recoil spring plug on the edge of the wooden bench,
push and the slide will eject the round. I am 82 years old, and when my hands get tired from cleaning
my 1911s, this is what I do. And i get to keep my SR1911s.

Blackie

steenroller

Bearcat
I just traded my SR1911 for a Colt Defender. I have been wanting a smaller frame 1911 and found this one used. Still have a couple of full size Springfields and the Ruger was the one I wanted to let go. The Colt is a good shooting pistol. I have traded several over the years. Some I regretted, some I was glad I did it.