Some LEOs still carry 1911s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Today I attended a law enforcement academy graduation. A relative of one graduate is a Sheriff or Deputy and I noticed his duty weapon is a stainless 1911. Can't remember the last time I saw any LEO in the Midwest with anything other than a Glock or Sig.

Any LEOs carry 1911s in your area?

Meeko

Single-Sixer
There are several Sheriff's departments and Deputies in Illinois that carry 1911's. Tacoma PD Wa allow 1911's as well (unless they recently changed allowing them)

19ontheslide

Bearcat
When I worked for the highway patrol, all of the deputies we worked with in Gallatin Co. (MT) carried 1911s. Mostly Kimbers and Springfields.

cfolsom

Bearcat
I carry my SR1911. I am a reserve officer and had to provide my own weapon. I carried my Glock 17 for a few years and had to provide my own ammo as the department uses Glock 21. The chief at the time said to get a 45 when I got a chance so the ammo would come out of the department. I told him I would, but I wanted to get a gun that I wanted not a Glock 21 to match the rest of the department. He asked what I was thinking and I told him a 1911 and more specifically the ruger SR1911. He said that was fine with him.

Took a while to find one at that time, but it finally came to be.

Old chief went on to become the local sheriff, new chief came in and was not impressed with the 1911 being carried. He was nervous about the cocked and locked situation. Figured I was going to have to go back the Glock 17. Went to the range one day with him and others from the department for some "fun" shooting. The SR1911 got passed around and shot. It was voted the nicest shooting gun that day. It's competition was Glock 21, Berreta 92, HK USP, Glock 17 and Ruger LCP. The chief said carrying it was ok and has been looking for one at a good price for himself.

It has also gotten compliments while walking around events that I was on duty for. Gun people ask about it and give me the nod or thumbs up.

Brian48

Bearcat
Department issue sidearm here in Boston is the Glock, but I've seen on 3 separate occasions officers carrying a 1911. Of the 3, two were on on paid details (which might have explained it), but the 3rd was a regular shift (got a speeding ticket that night).

Don Lovel

Hunter
One of my local police Chief usually carries an H&K P7 squeeze cocker, but the other day I saw him with a beautiful Springfield Champion on his belt.

I have seen some county sheriffs and a couple of KCMO PD fugitive warrant guys who carried 1911 when they were plainclothes. KCMO PD officially does not allow single action 1911 style guns for private security or line officers

Coop

Blackhawk
I am not an LEO, but I have been carrying my Kimber .45 ACP 3-1/2" bl Ultra-Carry since 2001. I don't ever leave home without it.

I've never been into a federal facility at all since then, nor will I ever enter one again.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
My son is an officer with Las Vegas Metro and has qualified and can carry this Kimber SIS model 1911
kimbersis_zps413490d4.jpg

Latest posts