Sixshot's Cottontail Safari

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
They look to be pretty vicious....and runnin in packs. :roll: Good thing y'all got em before they attacked the civilian populace. Now, lets see em on the grill....... :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Thanks Mike, hunting rabbits is one of my all time favorite things to do, especially when there's snow on the ground. Today I got a late start but still seen a lot of cottontails. My weapon of choice for rabbits is almost always my Ruger single six 32 maggie, its the Michael Jordan of rabbit punchers! My one & only load in this gun is 3 grs of WST & a 100 gr. (my alloy) SWC powder coated slug & its deadly yet forgiving when it comes time to skin the bunnies.
Today because of the late start I got 4 but only recovered 3, one started jumping around like Callshot when its his turn to buy lunch & it finally fell down in a big crack in the Lava reef. Because of the slick snow I wasn't able to recover it. Besides, it was very, very cold. Actually I wasn't cold but my body sure was. I'll go again wednesday & I'm sure it will be possible to take a dozen if I want that many.
As always my well used single six was safely snuggled in my Barranti master piece & the stocks are a pair of Holly's I made that I took off of my OM 41 maggie a few years back & they will stay on the 32 rabbit rapper!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Chasing bunnies when there are deer to whack? Or has deer season closed for y'all already?
Still, I know exactly how you feel about that 32 mag. They are SWEET and a terror on such critters.
Looks like it's time to start skinning & cooking!

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, most deer season's in the west close before the rut starts, except for a few trophy hunts that run into Nov. I didn't get much deer hunting in because we made a 2 week trip back to South Carolina & Arkansas (again) and I missed most of the season & most of the elk season also. But, we did get to see the kids & grandkids.
Our weather has been extremely cold, as soon as we get more snow & it warms up a bit we'll be heading out for more rabbits, this time it will be both jackrabbits & cottontails & we'll work them over pretty hard. Stay tuned!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I kinda figured the deer season might have already closed. Ours here in my area opens after the rut. It's still open until the end of the year.
I recall y'all went on another road trip to see the grandkids. Understandable reasons to miss a bit of hunting.

Now, go after them hoppers!

sixshot

Buckeye
Went out again today but it was very windy, only saw one cottontail but he's no longer with us. I turned his lights out with the 32 maggie & that same 100 gr SWC & 3 grs of WST. About a 15 yd shot & I've never seen a rabbit jump so high, he had to go up 18" when it hit him. He ran around a sagebrush & plopped over. The shot had broke a little early & I hit him low through the heart & he really jumped at the hit.
I just drive the back roads & most shots are 10-40 yds. You think of a 10 yd shot & think its pretty easy but most times because of the tall grass, weeds, sagebrush & sticks you are only shooting at a target the size of a quarter because thats all you can see through all the cover. Many times all you see is their eyeball as they sit there & let you drive past, you really have to be watching because its so thick. Without Callshot there I can only hunt one side of the road unless I turn around & make another run the other way. He's turned into a darn good spotter.
Couldn't get the photo up, this is an old one the way I used to do it. Snow shoes are a good option when the snow is above your Croc's!! This is an OM 357 using the Keith slug with just 5 grs of Unique in 38 special cases.

Dick