Single-Six Shopkeepers model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAA

Bearcat
I´m about to buy this hacked up single-six 22lr very cheap and I think it would be a cool little project for the winter.

The front sight has been welded on and its not a very good job. :roll:
My plans are to fix the front sight, clean it up, give it a polish and maybe, just maybe convert the gripframe to a bird´s head gripframe.
Bird´s head gripframes for Rugers just cant be found here in Sweden, so if i want one I´ll have to make it myself, can this be done by converting the original grip and gripframe? :?:

I think it could be a fun little revolver for some cheap single action practice.
ruger22lr.jpg

Whadda ya say? Do you think I´m crazy? :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow.
If it were me, and here in the states,, I'd just replace the barrel with a longer correct one to fix that butcher job. But,, it's your gun and you asked about the BH grip conversion. Yes, it has been done before, by several folks. You just can't get quite the same contours as the factory BH grip frames so you have to make the stocks as well.
I'm sure a few folks will post pics here soon of their conversions.

flatgate

Hawkeye
103068087.jpg

Your Single-Six's grip frame would be similar to the second one down, left side in the above image. Not a lot of "meat" there to permit a proper "round butt" job. Since yours is stainless some material could be added via TIG welding so you could get the proper shape.

That welded on front sight could have effected the barrel and tossed shooting accuracy into the trash can........

JMHO,

flatgate

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
SAA
I have found shooting the birdshead gripframe uncomfortatable. What you can do to make the gripframe you have more compact. Reduce its volume by grinding away about three eights (3/8")of an inch from the bottom. Do not cut away so much material that you'll lose the grip panel locater pin. Round the ends of the frame and cut down and trim the grip panels to include a palm swell.

This is not my idea. Ruger issued a .32H&R Magnum with just such a shortened gripframe. Calthrop

toysoldier

Hunter
A search on Gunbroker found no single-six barrels, but there is a birdshead .22 for sale, item # 149420596.

Take it to the range, see how it shoots, then go from there. Have fun.

nice little gun, I'm guessing by the pictures that it is stainless?? would make things a LOT easier...
anyway, you can modify ,reshape the existing grip frame assembly as a unit or reshape ,reweld and go to a birds head configuration....any good welder can do that ...me, I'djust grind, reshape the frame that you have and round the bottom corners, thin out the grip panels.....get another ejector housing and shorten ,refit it to make ejection easier.......have to shorten the entire unit, housing, rod & spring...I had one here ,but it was for a centerfire and sold it to another Forum member some time ago......
all in all, you can make that into a very nice ,small ,compact shooter, and lots can be done by yourself, think it out and take your time..........

I did one for a guy recently, wanted NO sights, rounded off the top strap as well as the grips and it came out really, neat , as well as 'compact'.

Good luck and Merry Christmas........safe & Happy holidays from here in the States...........................

SAA

Bearcat
Thank you for all your reply.
The gun is stainless and yes it will makes things easier, though I prefer blued guns like T.A.WORKMAN´s revolver, it looks very nice.
It will take a couple of weeks before I get it home and then I´ll test-shoot it first to see if it shoots ok, I need to see if the barrel has been recrowned properly.
I havent decided yet about the bird´s head grip thing, I have a Blackhawk with alloy grip frame and I might try and switch the grip frames between them.

I´ll post some pictures of it when I get it to look a little better..