Single-Six Reassembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Plain Old Bill

Bearcat
I'm stymied....I have an older Single-Six heirloom. Recently, I took the base pin out and gave the cylinder and frame a thorough cleaning. When I tried to place the cylinder back in, I just couldn't get the back of the cylinder to align to put the pin in. Ended up cutting off the spring-loaded pin at the end of the base pin, Ruger is sending another....BUT even trying to place the cylinder in without the pin just to align it, it's a no go- tried with the hammer down, also at first notch, gate always open. Just can't seem to get the rear of the cylinder into alignment.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help- POB

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Howdy1 I don't know if this will help. Are you putting the cylinder back in the gun from the right side next to the load gate? Try to EASE the cylinder in and wiggle it as you go. The hammer should be down. That's about all there is to it. They (cylinders) can be trying. New gun are known for this, and get easier the more you shoot and take em apart. Hope this helps. bhk

Plain Old Bill

Bearcat
The serial number is 60-573XXX. Yup, from the right, wiggled, hammer down (and up).
Must confess that I had a "Imadufuss" moment (of course!) and searched the back of the safe for the other cylinder in the red felt bag- and it slipped right in there. I think that I'll be playing with the micrometer during the next NFL playoff to see what differences may exist between the two cylinders.
Thanks for your help, gentlemen. If I ever get the first cylinder figured out, I'll report-
POB

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Getting the base pin back in can be frustrating, especially if the pin fits snugly into the cylinder. Remember that you have to keep the base pin latch pushed in with one finger, wiggle the cylinder with the left hand, and push the base pin in with the right hand. Naturally, nothing can protrude from the front of the frame until the cylinder is nearly in position. I'm wondering if the spring loaded plunger was sticking out, preventing the cylinder from going into position? Note that once you pull the hammer back, the pawl or hand starts coming forward. The cylinder will bump against it and won't go into position that way.

CU

sometimes a "slight" rotation of the cylinder clockwise as you are pushing the base pin back in allows the cylinders rear notches ( ratchets) to lift,by pass and engage the pawl into alignment, you can "feel' the cylinder drop in if that is what is catching/blocking the rear of the cylinder, ,if its OUT of alignment, ( not square) a TIGHT pin does not like to enter the front hole, simple 'physics'...... :wink:

don't 'fight it" (force it) 8) :roll: :wink:

we have also found over the years a simple "break the edge" ( use a counter sink or a larger diameter drill bit) and a very slight bevel to the front hole helps ,especially if its a "new" cylinder, or one that was recently filed or stoned, and of course always make sure the base pin even "fits" and allows the cylinder to rotate...you do this to any cylinder while its out of the gun, clean it and lightly oil to boot...have repaired MANY rusted in place base pins that sometimes folks NEVER seem to oil or over oil and let sit for YEARS :roll:

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
I'm not in favor of breaking edges unless there is a machining fault. If the base pin goes into the cylinder outside the gun, it will go in when assembled inside the gun. Besides the base pin already has its own bevel .

-CU

Cholo

Staff member
Plain Old Bill said:
Ended up cutting off the spring-loaded pin at the end of the base pin, Ruger is sending another....BUT even trying to place the cylinder in without the pin just to align it, it's a no go- tried with the hammer down, also at first notch, gate always open. Just can't seem to get the rear of the cylinder into alignment.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help- POB

If you have a "first notch" and a "spring loaded pin at the end of the base pin", it sounds like you're using the wrong base pin. Have you checked that?

Plain Old Bill

Bearcat
Managed to now get both cylinders in and the revolver works as it should with both after the installation of a new base pin... Have to admit that I'm a little hesitant to take it apart again, but I really appreciate the help I received here from y'all. Thanks! It only took 3/4 of a playoff game to play with the troublesome cylinder and get it in there.