Single Six cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fomdiddle

Single-Sixer
This may have been covered many times but it wont let me do a search. I have an OM SS with only a LR cylinder. It has not been converted and I really don't want to send it to Ruger because I figure when it comes back it would be. I want to buy a mag cylinder and my LR cylinder measures 1.64". Steve Ruger has some for sale but they only measure 1.62". Will the shorter cylinder work in my gun? I have been told there are also different size ratchet teeth. Will this make a difference? Or do I need to get one to match the pawl in my gun? Thanks in advance for all the Ruger knowledge imparted. Fom

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, first,, before you add a cylinder,, make sure your gun can shoot magnums. The serial number must be above 150000.
Next,,, you will need to look for one with dimensions close to your LR one OR longer. You can hone one down,, but you can't add metal. But if you have a gunsmith with a gas ring stretcher,, you MAY be able to get a 1.62 to work in your gun.
The ratchet teeth have not been a problem for most of us when we add a cylinder. But have your gunsmith check the timing to make sure the cylinder aligns properly before shooting.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Fom,
I agree with what Contender wrote.

As far as the diameter of the ratchet teeth hub, it has been made smaller on newer made cylinders coinciding with the .22 Single Ten Model introduction, so the teeth are slightly shorter in width but only .032". Most times they work fine, but on occasion this may cause a problem working properly in an older gun with a pawl fitted to a large hub cylinder. However, it's not serious and can easily be fixed with a little fitting of the pawl, but the pawl must still work with your LR cylinder.

Therefore I would stick to looking for a mag cyl with the old large hub, .626" in diameter which 99% of the cylinders for sale will be. Then you won't have to deal with pawl fitting issues. An added large hub cylinder has always worked with the pawl for me. Proper chamber alignment with the barrel is regulated with the cylinder stop bolt in the cyl notches and are all the same.

The new smaller hubs are .570" and usually sell for more money anyway since they are newer and mostly in like new condition, so look for a large hub cylinder.

Fomdiddle

Single-Sixer
Thanks Contender and Hondo44. I will wait until I can find a longer cylinder. Just out of curiosity, why couldn't the low serial #s shoot magbums? Fom