Single Six cylinder lengths

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have an unconverted late 60's (thanks for looking it up for me, contender!) Super Single Six that only had the LR cylinder when I acquired it. Someone on here a few months ago had a mag cylinder posted. The gurus here identified it as an Old Model mag cylinder by the pics he posted. A while back, it ran through my mind so I messaged him. He still had it, but didn't have a way to measure it. I took a chance since it had been identified by y'all as correct for my old model and bought it. I bought a cheap digital caliper at HF. The cylinder showed up and I measured it and my original LR cylinder. My LR cylinder is 1.62". The magnum cylinder is also 1.62". Is that common? I know most posts on here say that they need to know the cylinder length to see if it fits their gun. Was I that lucky? BTW- I don't have any need for a magnum cylinder but I bought a box of .22 Mags (wow, they are a lot higher than when I had a H. Schmidt .22 Mag single-action revolver and bought magnums in the late 70's LOL). At 10 yards, shooting offhand, I put 5 shots in a just-under 1" group. That's great handgun shooting for me. The 6th shot was way off- I moved I guess- and it was over 2" outside the 5-shot group. Still pretty happy with my old, pieced-together Single Six.

contender

Ruger Guru
You did good & got a bit lucky.

I buy all OM cylinders that I stumble upon in odd out of the way places and priced right. I don't care what the length is,, because I know that I may eventually need one, and hopefully the ones I scrape up have a chance of fitting or can be fit. But sometimes,, no work required,, as they do fit & drop right in.

And yes,, the .22 mag is usually pretty accurate in them due to the very good mating of bore diameter & the size of the .22 mag. bullet.