Single Six 22 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have this Single Six marked WIN .22 Mag. Cal. and I was thinking of selling it fund another gun.
It has some wear on it but the action is nice and tight.
It has stag grips on it , but one side has been broken and repaired.
According to the serial number it was made in 1959.
It's actually a nice gun and shoots good.
I looked on gun broker and couldn't find any that have sold.
So I would appreciate opinions on it's worth.
Thanks

Attachments

• F3A58115-1EEB-4363-99F2-5F8D560C6142_1_201_a.jpeg
    F3A58115-1EEB-4363-99F2-5F8D560C6142_1_201_a.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 202
  • C2947D4F-6308-4CB8-AF1C-8C4773F6BABD_1_201_a.jpeg
    C2947D4F-6308-4CB8-AF1C-8C4773F6BABD_1_201_a.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 200
  • 2A9CCD89-58F8-4E28-8E08-2AEF76FFCFA2_1_201_a.jpeg
    2A9CCD89-58F8-4E28-8E08-2AEF76FFCFA2_1_201_a.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 5BAECA37-80BF-43D7-8F95-2080CD176DAA_1_201_a.jpeg
    5BAECA37-80BF-43D7-8F95-2080CD176DAA_1_201_a.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I checked GB too, there are several under "3 screw .22 magnum single six" that haven't sold. Repeatedly. One clean flat top with 2 cylinders with no bids that's currently listed for $475 starting bid/$525 buy now. Add shipping and a transfer fee to that and you're looking at around $600 for it. It appears in better condition than your gun but yours has the 😎 gnarly stags. I wonder if they're factory stags. If that was my gun and I was going to sell it I'd get a letter on it. It would be cheap and it might be interesting. You have a neat Single Six there.

Wow! Those grips are certainly Unique. I personally cannot tell which grip was broken and repaired, so it much have been a good fix-it job.

I've got a single six like that as well, marked as a magnum. I can't remember exactly how it's stamped on the gun right now.

I probably over paid but I've had it for 7 or 8 years and paid around $425 or $450 back then.

Do you have a regular 22lr cylinder for yours as well? That would increase the value some.

contender

Ruger Guru
You are going to get a lot of inquiries due to the stag grips.

Factory stags are valuable.

Yet,, verifying the grips is dern near impossible. Many of us collectors study them up close,, and see differences that make us question things.
But a set of factory stags,, without damage, can bring upwards of $700.00 alone. Depending upon the repairs, the actual damage & such,, AND if believed to be factory,, the grips may be worth as much as the gun. From the picture,, I'd guess the grips suffered damage on the inside where the screw was over-tightened. ????

The gun itself,, w/o any grips,, around the $400 mark.

If you take the grips off, and take good pictures of the back sides,, especially around the medallion, it would help.

Good info above and as noted "condition" is everything, we've sold some "Magnum" marked guns for good money but mostly when mint shape and any packaging, and no the early ones were NOT "convertibles", though could be made into one,,we too like those grips and the tale is in the pictures as asked for above, if they would be factory, versus after market, they can be worth MORE than the gun "as is" condition wise......still a nice looking set up and would clean up quite nicely and easily.....(y)(y)

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I never really thought the grips would be factory.
You can see the repair on the left side. It goes right through the grip screw.
It looks like it was epoxied and never cleaned up.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I will take a picture of the back of the grips later this afternoon.
I never thought this was a high dollar gun.
I was just looking for a ball park value for a good shooter.

I paid $400 for a good condition 1960 magnum this summer. I watched GunBroker for quite a while. There were some beautiful ones for $600-800 without the box. And they have never sold either. I would agree that without the grips, $400 is about top dollar.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My suspicion is that they are not factory stags. Biggest clue is that the screw on factory stags & ivories enters from the left panel, opposite from the walnut or hard rubber panels. Also a bit too much aggressive "bark", the bevel at the bottom doesn't look right, the screw escutcheon doesn't look right, and the screw looks like it was cut off with a hacksaw. I'd bet there are two locator pin holes inside, one for Colt and a second one drilled for the Ruger. They probably started out as aftermarket Colt grips.

contender

Ruger Guru
Those pictures help.

Plus,, weaselmeatgravy has made a few excellent points about the grip screw & escutcheon.

In my very humble opinion, I'd say "not factory" as well. The backside of the medallion staking posts don't look right, as well as the holes for them. One looks very deep, and the buggered post is very suspicious.
The grip locator pin holes, especially one of them has been "wallowed" out a bit.

And lastly,, you can see the repaired section much better on the backside.

Still,, all in all,, they do make the gun stand out & look good. I'd still value them in the $200-$250 range if I were to own them myself.

..I like them them, early enough and crude enough to be 'vintage", just can't tell if the holes are flat bottom, and as for the escutcheons, have seen folks switch them around when they see their other Ruger panel screws go in from the other side..............and the screw?? same thing how many times could it have been cut or better yet "polished" off if it had to be??? those old stag grips for Colts and Rugers back in the 50s were very "crude" not finely finished like todays or even as "neatly, correctly done" by the fakers of the past 30-40 years.....'I'd keep them, the gun may be ala 1959-60 .but those grips are earlier, and just reverse the escutcheons for chitz & giggles....;)(y)

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I never thought the grips were original to the gun.
But , whoever made them did a very good job mating them to the gun.
They couldn't fit any better.

I went ahead and sent for a letter.

Last edited:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I got the letter back.
It is pretty much useless.
All it say's is when it was shipped ( with I already knew ) and where it was shipped too.
It say's nothing about grips.

hittman

Staff member
It say's nothing about grips.
LOL, it never does. Did you enclose a cover letter asking them if they can research that or just complete the generic form?

I think there are other discussions here on who, when or IF Ruger kept records on stag grips.

EDIT: I stated "never" but in truth on some of the double actions there would have been a designation P for Pach grips, or "Big Grip" or something of the sort. I think on a few New Model single actions there was an "I" for the fake ivory, etc,

Latest posts