Single action revolver for deer hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jackruff

Bearcat
The buck I shot from a tree stand at about 10 steps away a little over a month ago didn't hear the hammer on my Marlin 1894 44 magnum, but I was sure afraid he might! That would have been a good situation for my Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I was happy the Marlin did the job. He went about 15 steps.[/img]

Cholo

Staff member
I'm not hackin' on anybody in particular here, but the OP's question was about a SBH, not some sort of rifle that makes a completely different sound when cocking :?

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Different sound but all sounds loud or soft can be heard by a deer, still takes about the same time to cock back a hammer on a rifle or revolver.

rawly1

Single-Sixer
Sorry guys but hunting with the hammer cocked is bad advice. Aim then cock and you will be fine.[/url]

Pal Val

Buckeye
I've been practicing pulling the hammer with my left thumb right before firing. I can now do it without losing my aim. A deer that hears the click will most surely stop for a second. That's what it takes to squeeze off the shot. I would be afraid of an accident if I kept the gun cocked, given the light trigger it has.

Kanook

Buckeye
I usually cough a couple of times while cocking my revolver to cover up the noise;)

Actually, I will cock it very slowly and hope for the best. So far I haven't been busted, but there is always next time.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My only deer handgun kill was at 50 yds using a 500 S&W and the deer let me miss 3 shots before hitting him with a perfectly placed shot. So I don't think it will spook them as bad as most say mine was late in the afternoon just before dark and the muzzle flash and the noise of full power loads from a 500 S&W didn't spook him off for 3 misses before I finally got it right. Later on another occasion I had a doe within 20 feet of me and I had a redhawk 44 mag and the deer was right under me for several minutes and I had the hammer back and was pionting at the deer the whole time and it never spooked I just decided not to shoot it and let it go. I could have spit on the deer most of the time. I was in a 10ft leanto stand and the deer was right under me. But as she was comming in she kept looking behind her. I thought a better deer may have been following her but later decided she was looking at my 4 wheeler parked about 30 yards from the stand.

don44

Hunter
I have never had a problem with cocking a SA revolver when deer hunting.... "Just take your time in a hurry" as an old time lawman once said. :)

Ruger4Life

Single-Sixer
Never had one hear me cock the hammer, but I muffle the sound by putting my gloved, non-firing hand cupped over the hammer while I cock it, then aim and shoot.

20118point002.jpg

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks all for the replies. Nice pics too of some great looking deer!

I almost can't wait till hunting season starts!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
IrvJr said:
I'll invest in a DA revolver and take double action shots only. It would be a good reason to buy a Redhawk.

Not the best solution. Firing at game double action is not what you want to do. Accuracy will suffer greatly at any distance further than spitting distance.

May make some squeemish, but when on stand I wait with the hammer of my SBH cocked with my thumb between the hammer and frame. As long as you keep your finger away from the trigger, all is well. Hunting on the move, hammer down.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I missed a 30yrd shot on a whitetail because I wasn't ready with a Vaquero once, there are safe times to have your firearm cocked or else you could never shoot it.

I'll sit in my tree stand with the hammer cocked sometimes, I don't here well, so most of the time I've got the hammer down... but I'm not afraid to lay my handgun in my off-hand covering the trigger guard with my palm... but then I don't fool around with "custom" triggers either.

... I sure as heck ain't gonna point it at me anyways, and all my handguns have transfer bars.

PeterCartwright

Bearcat
Holding the trigger back while retracting the hammer also minimizes mechanical sounds. Muzzle control is, of course, critical! Use the other (gloved) hand to cover the rear of the revolver. These two things reduce sound considerably. It's best, of course, to have the option of doing this before the deer is in your lap. :)

PC

rawly1

Single-Sixer
All
This has never been an issue for me but sitting on stand with the safety off (hammer cocked) just is not a good idea. No deer is worth that! When the deer is ready to be shot...I aim, cock the hammer and shoot. Safety first... :wink:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Ruger4Life said:
Shot this doe at 25 yds with SRH in single action mode. She never heard me cock the revolver.

You blew the guts right out of her! :wink:

Bigshot270

Bearcat
Chuckbuster said:
where I hunt, mature hardwoods/agricultural edge, I can see them coming fairly well most of the time. I sit with hammer down until it appears I may have a shot opportunity, then cock the hammer while the deer is still out 50-75 yards. Easy enough to let it down then if shot does not develope.

I guess my system works :)
Kevin

DSC00480.jpg

ShadyCoveBuck2009-1.jpg

IVE GOT TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE ORANGE HATS!

Jon54

Bearcat
I've had deer hear me take the safety off my rifle. A lot of it depends on how pressured the deer are. I've hunted a ranch in TX where they were not pressured at all and they would stand and look at me. I can think of a sound here in TN and the deer run off.

Ruger4Life

Single-Sixer
BTW, nice bucks Chuckbuster! Nothing like the thrill of capping a nice deer with a revolver--especially with open sights! After hunting with a handgun it is very hard for me to go back to rifle hunting. Handgun hunting just gets my adrenaline pumping every time!