Single action revolver for deer hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Hey All,

This coming fall I'd like to use my Ruger Super Blackhawk for deer hunting. I've been bow hunting for the past couple of years, but would like to try my handgun during gun season.

I was planning to hunt this past season with my handgun, but never got around to it. However, recently I've been practicing with my revolver and I can reliably hit a baseball/softball sized target most of the times at 25 yards with the gun.

I plan on hunting deer at around a maximum of 25 to 35 yards with my handgun. I would employ similar tactics that I use when I bow hunt.

My one concern has to do with the noise from cocking the hammer. It's kind of loud, and I don't want to spook the game. I would probably be hunting from a tree stand.

For those of you who handgun hunt with a single action revolver, have you ever had a problem with scaring your quarry when cocking the hammer?

Thanks!

Sugar River

Buckeye
A lot of folks will sit with the revolver in their lap, cocked and keep their thumb between the hammer and frame.
When deer comes by, just raise, aim and fire.

Pete

44shootist

Single-Sixer
I have never had any problem scoring cause of pulling the hammer back, to me it was same as hunting with my Winchester lever gun alway have to pull the hammer back on it also when I want to fire, cause I load the chamber and drop the hammer for safety on it.

Buster

Bearcat
Deer will sometimes hear you. Wind noise is a big factor, as well whatever noise the deer makes walking. With any luck Big Boy will be far enough out not to hear you cock back. IMHO waiting around with a cocked revolver is not advisable. On a still morning, be advised they can hear it a good 75 or 80 yards out. You can muffle the sound quite a bit with the coat sleeve of your off hand covering the action. You are gonna get busted every now and then though.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Yes they will hear you cock your gun, so you have to be fast taking the shot, get aimed in then cock the hammer and go for it quick as you can and still stay on target.

I had a doe come across a creek in front of me while I was in my ground blind 30 yards away. She looked from right to left a little more tha a 90% sweep, going right past my blind without any concern. I cocked my Redhawk on my lap and at the click she jerked her head and stared directly at me. Now I do as Pete suggested and keep my thumb between the coked hammer and the frame.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I dropped a coyote from the ground and she never heard that SRH hammer come back. I thought the same thing to and actually asked the same question you are. Simply don't worry about it. You normally see them coming in time to cock the hammer....you will be fine!
Good luck!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
44shootist said:
...hunting with my Winchester lever gun alway have to pull the hammer back on it also when I want to fire, cause I load the chamber and drop the hammer for safety on it.
If you lower the hammer on a chambered round doesn't that put the firing pin in contact with the primer? A blow to the hammer would set the rifle off would it not? I think that is why they added the cross-bolt safety button. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've not killed any with my Black Hawk. But I have killed quite a few with a Model 94 Winchester. Several of those have been at less than 25 yards. Sometimes their ears pricked up, but it was too late. I hunt some with double actions, as well. I don't shoot double action on game. They click, too when you cock them.
When I was in Africa hunting Springbok, I had a group of three of them about 130 yards away. I was lying on top of a Kopje. The one at the back of the group had a nice set of horns. As far as I know they didn't know I was there. I eased the safety off on my tang safety Model 77 '06, the same one I use for deer hunting in PA. It was a pretty silent click, but that antelope looked me right in the eye and then was gone. That click was barely audible. That was the only time a click has been a problem. I never give it a second thought while deer hunting.
Bfly

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks all for the replies and tips. I guess I won't worry too much about it. I'll see how it goes this season. If I end up scaring all of the deer away, I'll invest in a DA revolver and take double action shots only. It would be a good reason to buy a Redhawk. My local shop has some nice 7.5" barrel used ones on sale.

I've been in my stand and made some noises while bow hunting and the deer didn't seem to notice or scatter. I think wearing 3d camo helps. I've had turkeys and deer look right at me in my stand, but not recognize me as a threat.

tacklebury

Single-Sixer
If I don't see or hear a deer coming in time to cock the hammer, I simply hold with my left thumb on the hammer and aim then cock fast with the off hand and fire. It's how I practice shooting for bowling pin shoots with the single action also. It's faster than many long pull double actions I've used. ;)

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I've never had a problem with cocking the hammer spooking deer. Personally, I think taking a deer with a SA is a bigger challenge than taking one with a bow. I can hit a tennis ball 100 times in a row standing without a rest using a bow at 20 yards. I sure can't with a revolver. I've taken a lot more with a bow. Of course this depends a lot on your game laws and your personal set up. They are both fun. Good luck!

tek4260

Buckeye
I was concerned about the noise as well on my first handgun deer. I sat in the stand with it cocked and holstered. I ran the strap of the holster between the frame and hammer and was still worried to death. I spent about 2 hours sitting all contorted so that I was sure the revolver wasn't pointed at my leg or rear end :)

Since then, I have not worried about it and haven't had a deer react to me cocking the revolver. I just cock it slowly while holding the trigger back(Old Model), then release the trigger before removing my thumb from the hammer. I also check to make sure the bolt is in the notch(wiggle the cylinder) since I am cocking it so slow. Never had an issue with the length of the pawl, but it is still a good check.

Good luck, it is addictive!

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
where I hunt, mature hardwoods/agricultural edge, I can see them coming fairly well most of the time. I sit with hammer down until it appears I may have a shot opportunity, then cock the hammer while the deer is still out 50-75 yards. Easy enough to let it down then if shot does not develope.

I guess my system works :)
Kevin

DSC00480.jpg

ShadyCoveBuck2009-1.jpg

Don Lovel

Hunter
I like taking a camo lawn chair, cut back into a fat cedar tree. Limb saw enough branches out to make a nice little nest so I can sit still comfortably. The cedar is the best cover scent and is a great place to be able to see out of the limbs around you.
If I have deer closing in, I cock the hammer back and lay my left thumb between the hammer and frame while lining up the shot, helps prevent an accidental discharge til I am lined up and no cocking noise when the deer are in hearing range.
the 45 Colt Bisley in my avatar now has 9 kills on big bodied whitetails. 300gr CorBon slams them off their feet

Cholo

Staff member
It's no secret that I have poor hearing and always have. I have to see deer because I usually can't hear them until they're well under 50 yds. away. I got one once, but I spooked so many gently cocking the hammer on a NM SBH that I only hunted on the ground with it cocked and laying on a towell. That metalic click ran 'em off every time if they were 70 yds. or less on a calm day. Sooo, I went and bought a S&W M29 Classic only to give up deer hunting soon thereafter :(

The Smith is a fine gun and shoots incredible well wearing a Leupold 2x scope. I just like my Super Blackhawk better. When I get back into deer hunting, I'll simply keep it cocked with one of my GF's thongs wrapped around the hammer :wink:

The short answer is, yes, the "click" will spook deer before they get into your chosen range if it isn't already cocked. My experiences only, and your concerns are real. JMHO...

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
44shootist said:
...hunting with my Winchester lever gun alway have to pull the hammer back on it also when I want to fire, cause I load the chamber and drop the hammer for safety on it.
If you lower the hammer on a chambered round doesn't that put the firing pin in contact with the primer? A blow to the hammer would set the rifle off would it not? I think that is why they added the cross-bolt safety button. 8) 8)

...Jimbo
Yah a blow to the hammer might if hit hard enough maybe ?, that is a good point, but pretty hard to do, plus you need to have the lever pulled tightly to the grip to fire also it pushes in the button thing on the tang.

This is how I was taught to carry a winchster and have had no problems with safety, course I never dropped one on it's hammer either, and never heard of anyone that has, not that it couldn't happen.

Everyone hated those those cross bolt guns, that may have been the beginning of the end for Winchester as we knew it maybe?

I'll have to get one of my Winchesters out some time and take a look at it and see if the hammer being hit could fire a round off I really don't know for sure.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
The '94 has a half cock position that keeps the hammer off the firing pin. It's not a safety, but it does keep the hammer off the pin.
Bfly

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Black Fly said:
The '94 has a half cock position that keeps the hammer off the firing pin. It's not a safety, but it does keep the hammer off the pin.
Bfly

Yah your right now that I think about it and that how you carry it with a chambered round, been awhile since I've used them, been to into revolvers here lately, I have 94's also have a 86 and some 73's

contender

Ruger Guru
As a longtime handgun hunter, I can attest to the fact that no two deer act exactly the same way.
Lots of factors can contribute to noises a deer spooks on. Wind direction, how much wind, how you cock it, etc. I would strongly suggest you leave it in the hammer down until you think you might be able to get a shot. Kinda like bowhunting. You pick up your bow off the hanger/limb. YOu get ready, and only pull it back when you are setting up for a shot. Well, a handgun can be kept safe, then as a deer gets near, slowly, carefully cock it with a glove, sleeve etc over it a bit to help muffle things some. Then hold it with your thumb inbetween the hammer & frame, until the time to get a proper grip & squeeze off a shot.