Single Action Cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Just wondering about the pricing/value of Ruger SA cylinders. I have a chance to buy a couple BH cylinders. New models one is (I'm told) a BH 9mm. Condition is about as new. I didn't have 9mm round to check. The other is 45 ACP...almost as nice as the 9mm. I have a 4 5/8 in 357 BH that I could fit the cylinder to that was given to my wife as a "truck gun". Also have 4 5/8 in 45 Colt BH. As both rounds are much cheaper to shoot and I reload the 45 ACP anyway...what would a good price be to purchase??...Then who would be a good person to fit them. I have a SS I bought a mag cyl for and it fit perfectly...

contender

Ruger Guru
Generally,, the prices of NM spare cylinders runs about $125-$150 for a fair price to both parties. But I've seen the .45's sell for more.

Fitting; The OAL is where the issues need addressing. If the spares are as long or longer than the current ones,, very good. You can have the front boss of the cylinders honed to fit. Too short,, and you'll have endshake & a bad cylinder/barrel gap.
Timing is most often not an issue. But have it checked to be sure.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The fellow wanted me to make an offer. So now at least I have an idea. If I measure the boss on the front as long as it meets or exceeds the original I'll be ok. He told me an hour or so ago he has more parts but not what they are for so I'm going to have to check them out. I forgot to mention I bought a Super BH. Grip frame from him for 10 bucks...and I don't know why. I no longer have a SBH. My wife's gun..she hadn't shot it since she turned 70. She likes the Colt...I load 'em milder so she still has fun

You bought the SBH frame right, for sure. Congratulations. It could be used with either of your existing guns with a little fitting and some additional parts.

For the cylinders, you'll want to measure (accurately) not only the boss, but also the overall length.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Not a lot of finish on the grip. By overall length do you measure from face of cylinder to end of boss? Heck if I can get them for the right price...I'll check the length later. If they won't work for me they'll do just get sold to someone who can use them. Hoping the ACP cyl will work though.

Star43

Blackhawk
Not a lot of finish on the grip. By overall length do you measure from face of cylinder to end of boss? Heck if I can get them for the right price...I'll check the length later. If they won't work for me they'll do just get sold to someone who can use them. Hoping the ACP cyl will work though.
If he sold you a grip frame for $10, and has other parts to sell, I think you should get a real good price for the cylinders. Do not offer too high right away. You might get a great deal. Hope they fit. If not, you can always sell them, make somebody happy and maybe make a couple of bucks at the same time. Again, hope they fit. 🙂

gnappi

Single-Sixer
My blue .357 BH cylinder was extremely crudded up from the PO shooting only many MANY .38's in it. Even after lots of scrubbing and applying much lead remover .357 cases were still harder to insert and extract than I like so I replaced the blue cylinder with a SS one.

Like Contender said, the length and boss needed delicate trimming BUT the "ratchet thingy" had their lug thingy's differently sized than the original and cocking it was a bit longer stroke than the original but it timed correctly and is tight as a tank.

So on the unlikely event I'd ever want to shoot .38's I will use the original cylinder. Now it's a "Pinto" after replacing all of the blued bolt on parts with stainless.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Ummmm. Take the cylinders?? Ummmm glad someone here is a lot smarter than I am. That makes sense. Course if they fit close...price may go up. Not that it matters. I think my wife will like shooting her BH in 45 ACP better than 45 Colt....and I have beaucoup rounds loaded on the 1050. She really doesn't like my Wilson or other autos. Too heavy. She's actually a pretty good handgun shooter. Ummm I have some parts in a baggie Hammer trigger internals I'm sure they are Ruger. If I can take a pic maybe someone can tell me what they are. I used to work on guns but never a Ruger...shotgun country. If I get the cyl...I'll try posting a pic. Never done it on here

contender

Ruger Guru
"By overall length do you measure from face of cylinder to end of boss?"

Look at hittmans reply. OVERALL length. Everything. From the rear of the ratchet,, to the front of the boss. That's what OAL means.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Did ok on the cylinders. Got the 9mm the 45 and a SS 22 cylinder. And a bunch of other stuff. Even got a S&W 6 inch nickle barrel in 41 mag. Haven't had time to check cylinder lengths. Doctor visits in Billings today and tomorrow morning in Cody. And got one of the 22 wranglers Ruger makes NIB and a slightly used Heritage Rough Rider for 90 bucks. Not a great gun but hey...90 bucks. The Ruger was 160. I got to stop buying all this stuff.... I'm trying to reduce the small stuff especially. The RR will get used as a trainer for grand daughter(12). Got one of the 325 round boxes of Fed 22s for 20 bucks. Turned down a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag... Woodpecker holes in the bbl end. Will try to post pics tomorrow

Star43

Blackhawk
Did ok on the cylinders. Got the 9mm the 45 and a SS 22 cylinder. And a bunch of other stuff. Even got a S&W 6 inch nickle barrel in 41 mag. Haven't had time to check cylinder lengths. Doctor visits in Billings today and tomorrow morning in Cody. And got one of the 22 wranglers Ruger makes NIB and a slightly used Heritage Rough Rider for 90 bucks. Not a great gun but hey...90 bucks. The Ruger was 160. I got to stop buying all this stuff.... I'm trying to reduce the small stuff especially. The RR will get used as a trainer for grand daughter(12). Got one of the 325 round boxes of Fed 22s for 20 bucks. Turned down a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag... Woodpecker holes in the bbl end. Will try to post pics tomorrow
At these prices, it is like pennies from heaven !!!

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The 45cylinder fits into the 2nd bit older 45BH...barely... Tight. Can't get it into momma's BH...bit too long. 9mm cyl is also too long don't have a single six for the 22cyls. Other Rugers parts were a Stainless 22mag cyl seems new a BH hammer and another hammer/trigger.

Latest posts