Signed Ruger Hawkeye Box ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hankhill33

Bearcat
Ruger Hawkeye .256

I have a Ruger Hawkeye .256 in the original box, with an unidentified signature dated 3-31-67.
Previous Owner was a collector of the highest calibre.
The son {now the owner of this rare pistol}
was at a NRA event with his father as a young boy-
a man at the Ruger table offered his father several hundred dollars - for just the Box.
Are you are able to identify the signature?
We would like to add that information to our prending advertisement of sale.
Thanks
Hank

015.jpg

hankhill33

Bearcat
O.K. after a long talk about who signed the box
We started talking about the NRA event and the Ruger table
Who couldit be ?
And then It came to us CH .........
No ......Could it be
Charlton Heston
Go to Google
That is his C, as sure as I am sittin here!
And the mark under the signature
C over H
No wonder the Ruger man wanted that box !
There are hundreds of Mr Hestons signatures on line
Very few I have looked at ,are alike.
If you are thinking this might be one of his signatures please sound off.

Hank, very well couldbe, hard to telll and even harder to 'verify' without say a picture of the two of them standing together, ALL of the guns have a story to tell, and all of the guys who own a collectible hawkeye are looking to buy a box for their gun, the beat goes, on...me, I would NOT sepapate them if the gun is matched to the box, if its who you claim it may be oh well, there should, would ,could be a "premium", more in nostalgia than anything but again, PROVE it!!! the provenance is what "adds" the value ( watch any rerun of antiques roadshow....)
good luck on the sale ( or purchase) which ever it is going to be.....
last "mint" as new in the box, COMPLETE package, gun paperwork, box as well as shipper we saw sell for well into the $3000 range...........I put the the "premium" on the "package" then the condition, then the serial number (low one)........as to "who, whoom" owned it, oh well ...............
depends I guess on who'se YOUR idol

radicalrod

Hunter
RUGERGUY's my IDOL :lol: :lol: :lol: and when I grow up I want to be just like him :wink: :wink: :wink: BUT I will most likely never grow up :roll: :roll: :roll: RR.

sorry Rod, you already got our guns, ( and Lauras mainly) 8)
Bottom line, idols and heroes, everybody has theirs, and may NOT be the 'next guys'............wish I had a penny for every famous?? person I ever met, talked with, had dinner with and even worked with...they ALL put their pants on one leg at a time.............. :roll:

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey the boxes bring more tan 200 without a famous signature....maybe the guy just needed a box :lol: :lol: :lol: just a thought....RR.

hankhill33

Bearcat
Is Rugerguy's clicker stuck on 15035 posts?
it did not change in his last couple of posts
15035......hmmmmm
you are a busy man
Just being funny or trying to be .....
I really hope someone is able to shead some light on the signature
The fella that ownes the pistol will be putting it up for sale soon
auction will be how I help him sell it

radicalrod

Hunter
Well what serial number is this gun ??? I wouldn't break up the pair.....and it will be really tough to verify that signature even if it is a good story.....most guys buy the gun NOT the story :lol: :lol: :lol: nice Hawkeye packages bring good money without a famous signature.....you will do good, see ya RR.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
hankhill33 said:
scope
original rear sight in a little bag
no paper work
box in top notch condition

Sir,
You mentioned that the rear sight is included with the gun. Has the top strap of the cylinder frame been drilled and tapped for a scope mount or was the original rear sight replaced?
Terry

hankhill33

Bearcat
As far as I know this pistol has never been shot
The scope that is on it ,is as all others I have seen on line.
I did not even know of this pistol until last week.
I am not sure how the factory mounted the scope
there is a rear sight in a little bag
I would think it goes with the pistol
Hank

The factory usually did not mount scopes. The guns were shipped with the usual rear sight in place, and the barrel tapped with a couple of holes for scope mounting. Pictures here show this "normal" arrangement . . .

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10699425/revolvers-for-sale/sturm-ruger-hawkeye-single-shot-winchester-.256-magnum-very-rare-with-scope

If the scope is mounted on top of the frame, it has likely been drilled and tapped for an aftermarket mounting base, thus the question.

:)

Yes, good points above as I recall the intended type of mount, allowed for the rear sight to stay ON the gun, in place???? the ONLY holes drilled and tapped by the factory, are out on the barrel, in front of the guns receiver ( frame) ANY other ( extra ) holes, say in the top strap, will "kill" the collectors value.....................
but the shooters, AND the guys who are always ( as I said at top) are looking for boxes for their own guns..................still a very marketable "package"....

Did you put the rear sight back on the gun??? its there in the picture as far as we can tell...and yes, thats about the location of the set up for the scope, using the holes provided by the factory, out on the barrel (2)
Nice gun, nice set up..............................

hankhill33

Bearcat
The pistol is not mine
I have only had it long enough to take the photos
I guess the sight in the bag is an extra
the S# on the box matches the pistol
There is some copper transfer on the other side from the 1 round left in the box for years
The man who owns it now says he never saw his Dad fire it and was only shown the pistol on VERY special occasions and Never touched it
His father was a shooter and member of a local range they spent at least once a week at.
And as I said ,the owner never saw his dad shoot this pistol
As you can see from the picture there is a little blueing missing at the muzzle
other than that, the pistol is in great shape and the bore is clean and shiny

Latest posts