Shot Timers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I couldn't find a forum where this should go, so I chose this one. Feel free to move it to where it would be best.

We are thinking about getting a couple of shot timers. What are you folks, who use these gizmos, finding to be the most liable and accurate?

TIA

contender

Ruger Guru
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro is about the most universal one used in USPSA. I've been to many clubs & matches over the last 20 years,, and it is the one most often seen, used & understood by the Range Officers everywhere.
We own 5 of them here.

Coop

Blackhawk
Competition Electronics - Pocket Pro Timer

I've got two of them, both 15 years old, and they still work.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/shot-timers/pocket-pro-ii-prod22292.aspx

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
contender said:
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro is about the most universal one used in USPSA. I've been to many clubs & matches over the last 20 years,, and it is the one most often seen, used & understood by the Range Officers everywhere.
We own 5 of them here.

Thanks for that info. I was hoping someone with extensive experience would post. Optics Planet has the Pro II for a reasonable price.

Thanks again.

contender

Ruger Guru
We've bought them for about $105.00 on sale. I still have my first one,, and it's at least 15 years old. It gets used a lot too, at our monthly matches.

If you have not already placed your order you might want a different vendor.
I don't usually bash businesses but will make the exception for Optics Planet.
I think they suck!
I know others with the same opinion.....you may have better luck.
Dave

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Dave P. said:
If you have not already placed your order you might want a different vendor.
I don't usually bash businesses but will make the exception for Optics Planet.
I think they suck!
I know others with the same opinion.....you may have better luck.
Dave

Must be a reason for that? I've gotten a few things from them and really can't complain.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Hey contender: I have a question as I've never really dealt with "shot timers" before. Just did some rimfire silhouette and time don't matter after you're 50, just accuracy.

One of the other SRO asked if people can practice by themselves with these timers. Can you lay it on the bench, shoot and the timer starts and then after the last shot, it records the time span between first and last?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
We were just about ready to order a couple of the Pocket Pro II's off Amazon and then saw the "new and improved version" ( Pro Timer IV ) for a few bucks more. So now, the gun club pres wants to look into that version. We do have several more weeks before the weather gets to the " outdoor shooting phase" once again.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
A bit of caution if your matches have a rimfire class, particularly rimfire rifles. The muzzle report may not be loud enough to activate the timer if the microphone isn't pointed directly at the shooter and the timer guy isn't right next to him or her. I shoot steel challenge matches and if the guy running the timer is not holding it correctly the rimfire rifle shooters don't get proper timing. They work if oriented properly but you have to pay attention.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't see this before now.

The Pocket Pro, has 2 ways to start. Instant, when you press the start button, or a delay, which is about 3 seconds. Most of us use them clipped to our pockets, belt etc. We hit the start, when on delay, and then when the buzzer goes off the time starts. It records each shot fired, and when you finish shooting, you can look & see how long it took you to shoot that string of fire. And if you wish, you can review each shot fired, (until you press the start button again.)
You can also program them to do what we call "par time." It's where you set the timer to start with a beep, and also beep again to signal a stop.

As noted, they are more reliable when closer to the discharge of the firearm. As a RO,, to start a shooter, wearing ear protection, I put it near their head, (from behind) and they can easily hear the beep to start. I also keep it forward, as near to the shooter as I can, AND be safely far enough away to prevent interfering with them.
If you are wanting to use 22 rifles,,, off a bench, you can. Just place the timer forward on the bench, within reach to activate it, and it'll be close enough to record the shots.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Thanks for the response. We still have a few weeks before the snow is completely gone and any serious outdoor shooting gets going, so we do have some time to consider which timer.
Most of the pistol shooters at our club are using electronic muffs, so that should help a lot with the "beep notification". Rimfire, 10-shot semi-autos, mostly Ruger Marks seem to be pretty common with what I've seen as "Safety Range Officer" when involved with that end of the .22 range. There's been some interest in getting speed steel going and that's why the current interest in the timers. From what you've laid out, it looks like the Competition Pro II, or now the newer version, will be the two choices.

Thanks,

Dennis

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, indoors. They work better at picking up the gunfire & giving you correct times. I used to shoot an indoor weekly fun match/stage, with a 22 MKII. Never any problems using a timer in there. But as the RO,,,, knowing how many folks shooting competition do use electronic ear muffs, (to be able to hear range command etc,) the beep of the timer is easily heard by most. Some folks with bad hearing,, usually ask me to make sure I put it close to their ears when I push the button.
Using them,, the start signal is a distinctive beep,,, and it keep recording each shot fired. Once a shooter is done, and showed clear,,, I show them their time. Be careful,,, if you accidentally bump the timer against a hard object,,, it will record that as well. Even a spent brass casing can fly & hit the timer & record it as a "shot." When there is doubt,,, if the shooter knows how many shots they fired, you can go through "review" and see any errors.
The clear out completely & start over when you hit the start button.

CraigC

Hawkeye
This one.

CEP%20timer.jpg