15 & 25 shot 10-22 mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Took the boys out shooting and had constant stoppages due to misfeeds from 2 new mags. Went back to the standard mag and ran like a champ. Looking at the feed lips of 2x 15's and a 25, there appears to be a large burr on the left feed lip. Ten shot rotary mags sure don't have this. Oddly, one of the 15 shot mags had been working fine in a brand new 10-22 but not the older one. Anyone else see this issue?
I'm considering using the Dremel to remove or reduce this booger. Can't make things any worse.

9x19

Hunter
I don't have any 25 round, but have nine of the 15s.

They have proven reliable, but the newest is still about 5 years old.

This may be a magazine fitment issue. I just ran some ammo through a like new 10-22 and one with a new BX trigger. Both functioned fine with sub-sonic, standard velocity, and HVHP ammo through the 15 round magazine. The "burrs" seem to have the effect of "lifting" the bullet nose during feeding.
Guess I'll do more testing before grinding.

9x19

Hunter
Ruger never held real tight tolerances on their magazine fit... that's the main reason the old Tactical Innovations 25 round mags had the four adjustment screws.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
recumbent said:
I would use emory cloth or fine sandpaper instead of a dremel.
I added several 10 round magazines to my "stable" several years ago. More than
one had problems . . . . until I looked closely at their profile, and compared to the
"old" ones I had. The only difference that I could see was the external edges. New
ones were "sharp" where the "old" ones were rounded from use.

I selected the one that was the most problematical, rounded the edges with a small
file, and tried it again. Worked perfectly. - - - Did the same adjustment to the others
and my problems vanished.

This may, or may not, work for you . . . but it solved my problems. :wink:

wanderson

Bearcat
For me, my 10 rounders feed just about anything, not so with bigger mags including the BX-15 that came with my Charger. Now with most ammo, it's fine, and has had way more rounds thru it over the flush 10s. Tried putting forward & backward pressure on it just to see if a shim might help but not any noticeable difference.

There's things you can do to improve the bigger mags but IMHO it's hard to beat the out of the box reliability of the 10s. I do like the size of the BX15 mag as a vertical grip/hand stop and since I got a GSG 110 round drum I don't feel the need for any more hi cap mags.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
My Charger wouldn't function with the supplied 15 round magazine. I have several 25s that I haven't even tried yet. I am fortunate in that all of the 10s I have ever used have been stone cold reliable.