Shorty 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

medicdave

Blackhawk
Put this one up on the single actions forum but some of y'all might not be over there.

Picked up one of the Talo edition Super Blackhawks and found it needed a bit of tweaking to make it right for me. Nothing to over the top but the end result has very little similar to where we started at.

As delivered stock as can be, with the intended grips from the parts box.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the current grip frames aren't even close to the right shape to fit standard grips too. Back to the parts box to see what will fit.

Nope

Nope

Nope

So disappointed and resigning myself to sending out for custom grips we solider on. First up shortening and tweaking a Virginian Dragoon ejector rod to fit the short housing. Looks like it belongs there in the first place.

Next up, bisley hammer and yet another set of grips that don't fit.

Some mail from belt mountain brought in a locking sheriffs model base pin. Notice fit on stock grips from ruger.

Some new leather that came in during the wait for parts.

Oh me oh my, found some grips to fit. I bought these about 10 years ago and had put them away and forgotten about them because they were so grossly oversize they didn't fit anything, and I didn't have the heart to fit them down. Glad I didn't now they are real close to fitting, just a tiny bit of fitting to do.

After talking to Mr Bowens shop and finding out the rough country sights were on back order for a while a gent here on the ruger forum sold me a spare target sight he had in his parts box to keep things moving. Shorty shown with his big bother who's in line for some tweaking in the future.

This is where things got a bit ugly. I really hate the stock blackhawk ramp sights, as I find them very hard to get a clear sight picture. I had a spare Bowen blade blank and started working it when the drill press ate the slot section. So much for a patridge sight made from the blank. Then decided to try forming a Keith style front from a higher 45 blackhawk. Left it to my brother to shape and it didn't turn out how I thought it would.

My favorite sight of all time is the K22 patridge ramp. Such a nice clear sight picture what more could you ask for. The epiphany struck to put one on the shorty. Bad news didn't quite fit and the slot portion was about 1/2 as wide as it needed to be.

Good news a couple support shims and a little judicious filing had it fit and looking swank. Never mind the ring around the sight pin it's pencil lead from marking the spot to drill.

All finished up and what a looker. Sighted in for 300 grainers with a bit of adjustment for heavier and lighter bullets possible in the future. I'm really loving how this one came out. The fat stags take a lot of the sting out of the heavy stuff, and the sights are clear and precise. It really doesn't look or feel like the base gun we started with.

Did a little testing with some 300gr XTP. Group of three on left were the first 3 fired, then a case split on the single shot high (old ammo brittle brass), changed grip shot the two grouped on right. Looks like that'll do pig.

My brother likes to call Shorty the fire breathing dragon. He finished a group and noticed The old patio furniture cushion he was using as a rest was smoking lol.

Looks like Shorty is good to go, on to the next project.

Best, Dave.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Like they say on the pickers show the time to buy it is when you see it. Having a well stocked parts box(s) let you do a lot of cool stuff in the future.

Knife was by small custom maker I picked up a while back. My brothers laid claim to it but I might have to get it back lol.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Thanks guys it turned out great. Much handier than a long barrel and no problems in the accuracy dept.

medicdave

Blackhawk
The black rig and 2x2x2 case were custom made by CME holsters. The case is not a catalogued item, I sent pictures of what I wanted and he went from there. He makes some beautiful leather and is a great guy to work with, but has a huge not so attractive makers mark he normally puts on the front of his leather. I requested it be placed on the back so I wouldn't have to look at it.

cmeholsters.com

kestump

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply...I might do some tinkering and see what I can do myself. I've done something similar for speed strips, but like the looks of your setup.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Thanks Joe. Going back a few years I had a full size vaquero sheriff in 45 colt and I would always look at it and say if only it was 44. Well now it is and I couldn't be happier with it. Plans are in the works for a shorty 22 soon as a matching gun. Already have the gun, parts and leather for it. It's next inline after the pintos finished up and off for refinishing.