Short-term "problem" with my 4.2 45 Colt Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Noah Zark

Bearcat
I'm mentioning this so that others can learn of my experience today. After 50 years of shooting thousands of rounds, this was a "first:"

I was trying out some handloads in my 4.2" 45 Colt RH today, loaded in a new-to-me used Dillon 550B that I got set up and running yesterday.

30-some shots into the firing string, the cylinder would not close. It went about 2/3 the way into the frame, then hung up. Since it had started snowing in blowing squalls, I packed it in.

Back home at the bench, the cause of the "problem" was two flakes of unburned Unique powder between the extractor star and the recessed face of the cylinder against which the extractor star fit. The powder granules were in JUST the "right spot" to hold the star out a few thousandths of an inch closer to the recoil shield.

I few flicks of a brush and the cylinder snapped home like new.

FWIW, the load was 9.0 grains of Unique under a 250 gr copper plated swaged lead bullet. I've been firing this load in a Blackhawk and a couple S&Ws for 25+ years without issue, but I have noticed the odd flake of powder now and again on the guns after a shooting session. Today was a "perfect storm" of two flakes in the right spot gumming up the works.

Best,

Noah

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I had this happen to me about 10 years ago with a Smith 66. I had no idea what happened. Took it to a Smith and that's the first thing he looked at. Handed the gun back to me and away I went with a working firearm and no charge. After each session now I wipe under the star and when lubbing only about 1/2 drop of oil on the ejector rod. Haven't had it happen since.

I had that happen to me way back when I was on the base rifle/pistol team, during a match no less. I hit the extractor rod and shoved my thumb under the extractor and wiped the granules out of the way. The extractor star sliced the heck out of my thumb but I finished the string on time.

Noah Zark

Bearcat
WESHOOT2 said:
'Cough' Universal......

I hear ya, and I would if I didn't already have a metric crap-ton of Unique on hand -- I added up the unopened containers and there's 13 lbs plus about 3/4 of a lb.

Maybe I can do a swap . . .

That said, it's the first time that unburned Unique has given me a problem outside of being a nuisance.

Noah

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have had light charges of Blue Dot leave powder grains all over the place. Your 9.0gr of Unique doesn't sound that light. A good crimp will help to eliminate most un-burnt powder but you have to be careful not to crimp too much with those copper plated bullets. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

tacklebury

Single-Sixer
Yep, sounds like a Lee FCD might correct your crimp. ;) I shoot unique under 240 gr. Sierra Sportsmasters without issue. ;)

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Been there, done that, got rid of the Unique T-shirt and went to Winchester #231/ Hodgdon HP-38.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Dale53

Blackhawk
Many years ago, I learned while shooting PPC to ALWAYS hold my barrel vertical (sight up) when ejecting shells in a revolver. That way, the unburned powder flakes and kernels stay inside the empties and can create NO problems.

I had to train myself to do this. You can do it also. That will certainly minimize any problems in the future.

Dale53

smike308

Bearcat
Dale53 said:
Many years ago, I learned while shooting PPC to ALWAYS hold my barrel vertical (sight up) when ejecting shells in a revolver. That way, the unburned powder flakes and kernels stay inside the empties and can create NO problems.

This +1!

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Oh, by the way. Single Actions don't ever have this problem.
:lol:

Best Regards,
ADP3

edlmann

Blackhawk
Noah Zark said:
. . . the cylinder would not close . . . the cause of the "problem" was two flakes of unburned Unique powder between the extractor star and the recessed face of the cylinder against which the extractor star fit. The powder granules were in JUST the "right spot" to hold the star out a few thousandths of an inch closer to the recoil shield.

Been there, done that, but with a M25 S&W.

Think it was Unique, though.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I found the Redding Profile Crimp die superior when crimping any bullet in revolver chamberings.
Superior.....

To rid yourself of metric crap-tons of Unique you can load 5.5g in 9x19 cases under any 115g MC bullet; good for subguns, too.
5--6.0g under 200--230g bullets in 45ACP.
You can monkey with 'medium' charge weights in the 40 S&W, and it can be used for 38 Super if not compensated.

But for revolver chamberings it's simply too dirty for any use OTHER THAN target/plinking/fun ammo.
Causeathem flakes jammin' things up....

stantheman86

Buckeye
You found one of the few ways a DA revolver can jam :)

I find that tipping the muzzle up when you eject the empties will reduce this problem, as well as NOT oiling under the star and keeping this area dry.

I was shooting some older Remington .38 Special in a GP100 and there was a lot of unburned powder in the chambers and in the cases.......I had the area under the star get crudded up a few times in one session. There was also some Kroil that had leaked into this spot from when I oiled the yoke tube. So, now I learned to make sure this spot is dry.