Shipping Cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Those of you that have had your cylinders reamed by CAS how did you ship them? Did you insure them and and if so for how much? Probably dumb questions I know, but "they" say the only dumb question is ..........

KLNC

Single-Sixer
I think I insured mine for $100.00. Not very expensive, but to be honest, I've never lost a package with USPS. I guess there could always be a first time though.

contender

Ruger Guru
On special stuff like that, I insure for double the amount of value. I figure if they lose something, and I have to file a claim,, it's gonna take time (money) for me to file, wait, then get re-imbursed. My time is worth something.

caryc

Hawkeye
Just a bit of info here. Any USPS package that you insure for over $200 has to have a signature upon delivery. $200 and under does not. So technically they could leave the under $200 insured package anywhere.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Cary,

Thanks for that information. I intend to insure the cylinders for $400. So having the receiver sign for them is a good thing.

caryc

Hawkeye
Bud0505 said:
Cary,

Thanks for that information. I intend to insure the cylinders for $400. So having the receiver sign for them is a good thing.

I live in a rural area and don't get mail delivery right to my door. I have a locked box in one of those neighborhood roadside mail stations. When people ship grip frames to me I instruct them to use USPS Priority Mail and insure for more than $200.

What happens is that the mail carrier will leave a notice in my box that there is an insured package that I have to go to the post office and sign for. Sure, this is a little inconvenient for me but in nine years now I've never had a grip frame go missing. The less people actually handling a package the better I like it.

DGW1949

Hunter
From the FWIW Dept;

I have recently visited the subject of insurance claims with both UPS and USPS.
Both entities told me that they require that the sender provide proof of what was in the package, and proof of it's value. What that means in real life is that in order to get reimbursed, you gotta first provide a receipt showing that you purchased the item yourself, and what you paid for it.
At the time I didn't think to ask whether an older invoice would be factored-up for inflation or not, but even if they would allow for that, I doubt that most of us have a receipt for whatever it is that we are re-selling. Leastways, I know that I usually don't.

Maybe it works different for businesses.....dunno.

DGW

caryc

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
From the FWIW Dept;

I have recently visited the subject of insurance claims with both UPS and USPS.
Both entities told me that they require that the sender provide proof of what was in the package, and proof of it's value. What that means in real life is that in order to get reimbursed, you gotta first provide a receipt showing that you purchased the item yourself, and what you paid for it.
At the time I didn't think to ask whether an older invoice would be factored-up for inflation or not, but even if they would allow for that, I doubt that most of us have a receipt for whatever it is that we are re-selling. Leastways, I know that I usually don't.

Maybe it works different for businesses.....dunno.

DGW

Actually it makes sense. Let's say for example you ship something worth $50 and insure it for $1000. Should they just hand you that $1000 with no questions.

On a grip frame for example, you could get the price for a new one from Ruger and the price for having it fitted and installed from a gunsmith to show them.

On the last Bisley grip frame Mr. Bowen sent me he had me insure it for $800 plus the value I put on the grips. This was because he had fitted the grip frame to the gun and also decked the frame. I'm sure he could provide enough proof of his prices to verify that $800 if needed for insurance claim purposes.

cas6969

Buckeye
Bud0505 said:
Cary,

I believe anything over $200 has to be signed for. Single cylinders I insure for $205.00
You're only insuring the price of the cylinder, the item shipped. They're not going to cover labor fitting a new one or shipping, so you're just lessening the blow money wise should something happen.

That said.. hopefully not to jinx anyone, but in 10 years (has it been 10 years? I dunno) the USPS hasn't lost one or had one damaged yet.

A couple have "gone astray" for a bit… where the mailman left it somewhere in the yard or around the house where it remained hidden till the homeowner found it. But generally when I get the "where's my package" email, it's because of the signature required. No one's home (or the mailman doesn't even try) and they take it back to the post office where it sits waiting for the customer to come pick it up. But they never leave notice of such, so they don't know it's waiting at the post office for them. Sadly for the post office, that happens all the time.

eveled

Hawkeye
caryc said:
Actually it makes sense. Let's say for example you ship something worth $50 and insure it for $1000. Should they just hand you that $1000 with no questions.

Not to me it doesn't. They accept payment based on the value you set on it. If they loose the package, they should have to pay what you said it was worth. (and paid for). Luckily they usually don't loose packages. Ed

caryc

Hawkeye
eveled said:
caryc said:

Not to me it doesn't. They accept payment based on the value you set on it. If they loose the package, they should have to pay what you said it was worth. (and paid for). Luckily they usually don't loose packages. Ed

They accept payment based on what you declare the contents to be worth. If you ship a pack of gum and insure it for $1000 and get caught, I think you would be committing fraud.

If you want to play that game with a federal entity, then be my guest but I won't do it. I guess you've never heard the term "insurance fraud".

street

Hunter
caryc said:
eveled said:
caryc said:

They accept payment based on what you declare the contents to be worth. If you ship a pack of gum and insure it for $1000 and get caught, I think you would be committing fraud.

If you want to play that game with a federal entity, then be my guest but I won't do it. I guess you've never heard the term "insurance fraud".

I think that Cary has hit the "nail on the head". Let suppose I had an article that was worth 10 to 20 dollars that was fragile. And I packed it in a box that didn't have enought packing around it, and I declared the value at $500. When it arrived at the destination broken, how many people think that the USPS will pay the $500. Anyone thinks this will be paid I have some Ocean front property in Arizona for sale ,"CHEAP". In order to protect itself from fraud the USPS will only pay what it's worth, or less. No it's as Cary said you will have to prove the value, as that is only what the USPS will pay. They won't even pay the shipping if they damage or lose your package. Just hope they don't think it was Insurance fraud and then you will get a real payday. 10 to 20 years maybe!!!!

s4s4u

Hunter
If it makes a person feel all warm and fuzzy inside, insure it. I quit insuring packages long ago after hearing too many stories of folks that got zero satisfaction from their claims. Save yer money for components. JMNSHO

caryc

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:
If it makes a person feel all warm and fuzzy inside, insure it. I quit insuring packages long ago after hearing too many stories of folks that got zero satisfaction from their claims. Save yer money for components. JMNSHO

I don't care if you heard two or three stories out of millions and millions of packages shipped by the USPS. I figure that at least if a package is insured they will take a little more care of it. To me, that's worth it.

Take your chances however you wish.

s4s4u

Hunter
I ship hundreds of packages of custom woodwork a year through either FedEx, UPS, or USPS. None insured, but all packaged well.

Latest posts