Redhawk 357 cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
Picked up an extra 357 cylinder for my Redhawk. Is it just a matter of having it rebored to shoot 9mm? I detail stripped the gun down tonight. Have to say I prefer the SRH over the RH for grips and that funky mainspring assembly

NikA

Buckeye
Can't rebore a .357M chamber to a true 9mm, the .357 is much deeper and will have significant freebore even if the chamber is cut to accommodate the taper of 9mm. The common rechamberings are bottlenecked cartridges like .357/44 B&D. .360 DW may be an option as well if there is sufficient space for the greater OAL; I believe .357 Max will definitely be too long.

k22fan

Blackhawk
First, for the reason NikA wrote, if you pride yourself on accuracy, it is a horrid idea. Bouncing and skidding your bullets off the sides of a long chamber then the throat is the opposite of what you'd do to achieve the accuracy required to be competitive in NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) or silhouette matches. Also, the rear ends of your .38 Special and .357 Magnum brass would swell about 0.012" more than normal.

You did not write if your new cylinder has 6 chambers or 8. Either way, their is the question of who, if anyone, makes moon clips that would fit a Redhawk and the cost of those clips. Without clips, expect no extraction and either no ignition or missfires. It is possible the 9 mm Luger cartridges might head space on the taper but good luck with that.

My negative opinion aside, a few well respected members of the best known forum for that other brand (hint: S. W. .com) proudly brag their reamed S&W .357 cylinders shoot .38 S&W, .38 Special, .357, and in moon clips .380 ACP, 9 mm Luger, .38 ACP/Super, 9 mm Winchester Magnum and a few lesser known 9 mm cartridges. While they are pleased with the accuracy they get firing 9mm Luger I've never seen them write specific group sizes or distances. If you try it please report specifics of the accuracy that you get. I've been wrong before.

By the way, Redhawk and Super Redhawk .44 Magnum cylinders have the same part number and .357 versions of the Super Redhawk exist. If my memory is good they are, or were, sold as Super GP 100s. Consequently, installing a second reamed .357 cylinder in a misnamed Super Redhawk is possible.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Antipaladin said:
Picked up an extra 357 cylinder for my Redhawk. Is it just a matter of having it rebored to shoot 9mm? I detail stripped the gun down tonight. Have to say I prefer the SRH over the RH for grips and that funky mainspring assembly
As others pointed, you cannot rebore 357 Magnum cylinder to 9x19. I urge you leave it as is, those cylinders are rare. However, 44 magnum cylinder is much more common, and it could be sleeved and bored to 9x19. Going this way, you would have proper bore to guide 9mm bullet while in cylinder.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't say you can't do it. I think it could certainly be done with success roughly equivalent of the Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP, the main difference being you'd obviously have to change cylinders to change calibers in this case.

Comments have been made about derogatory accuracy; I certainly won't dispute that in such a conversion 9mm accuracy would be comparatively poor. In my Redhawk tho, .45 ACP shoots pretty darn well out to 15 yards or so, but groups do open up after that.

If your goal is to have some fun at pretty short ranges while burning up some pretty cheap ammo, this might work.You do have to overcome the issue with moon clips in addition to having the charge holes reamed and the cylinder & extractor cut for said moon clips.

Could it be done? Yes. Is it worth the cost and the hassle? It wouldn't be to me. If you want a 9mm/.357 convertible I would suggest a Blackhawk. I got a Lipsey's Special Flattop for just over $500 delivered. It would probably be close to that for your cylinder work and moon clips.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
It took me so long to find a Rh in 357/5.5" barrel I'm not touching it. I was thinking about a bh in 357/9 mm convertible. Adding the bh 45 lc/45 acp with it would make a nice pair.

Thel

Blackhawk
It MIGHT be possible that Bowen makes cylinders for the Redhawk and could make a desired 9mm cylinder albeit it would not be inexpensive. Jack Huntington might also have cylinders.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Thel said:
It MIGHT be possible that Bowen makes cylinders for the Redhawk and could make a desired 9mm cylinder albeit it would not be inexpensive. Jack Huntington might also have cylinders.
Unless you rebarrel, the bore will still be some 0.002" or 0.003" oversized.

Latest posts