Sheriff's 44 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Is that a Bisley hammer?
I'm not needsmostuff but yes, a Bisley hammer. Pretty easy to adapt to a standard BH, Vaquero or single six as well as the Bisley trigger seen here:
1671225593625.png

Attachments

• 1671223314621.png
    1671223314621.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1671223421715.png
    1671223421715.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I have never noticed trouble ejecting empties, but it does take some time to find a load that will shoot to the sights. But that is the case with most of the fixed sighted single actions.

However it is such a dream to carry, and is so small and sexy compared to it's 3-1/2" Bisley big brother.

View attachment 12670

One thing I learned that day, is that it is much easier to keep brass separated when you don't bring 44 w.c.f., 44 special and 45 Colts all out on the same day!
I wonder if anyone notices the extra lead flavor in your wife's pies?

hporter

Bearcat
I wonder if anyone notices the extra lead flavor in your wife's pies?
You're not supposed to have lead flavored pies? :)

I always take a 2.5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid to the range, with those pie plates to hold fresh ammo and some of the cheap round Tupperware plastic tubs for the spent cases. They all stack neatly in the bucket, and help with me keeping the brass sorted in the field.

hporter

Bearcat
44-40 Sheriff.png

Both my 44 special flattop and my Sheriff work well with the Borchardt 44-40 cylinder too. Kind of a neat look with the solid sided cylinder.

I've not shot the Sheriff with the 44-40 cylinder on paper, but by flattop shoots tighter groups than either one of my Uberti 44-40's with it. A fun accessory, especially if you love that round too.

Rclark

Hunter
I always take a 2.5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid to the range
I simply just put the empties back in the box where they came from. I use the 100 round plastic boxes myself. Besides being neat and tidy, I can keep track of how many time I have reloaded the cases in a box over time.

hporter

Bearcat
I suppose everyone has their own workflow.

Putting the cases back in the box is a no go for me. They get dumped into my Dillon case feeder attached the to Lee APP and the primers get punched out - as soon as I get home. I like to clean them in stainless steel pins in the tumbler, and the primer pockets come out squeaky clean that way. Just my preference.

View attachment 12914

Both my 44 special flattop and my Sheriff work well with the Borchardt 44-40 cylinder too. Kind of a neat look with the solid sided cylinder.

I've not shot the Sheriff with the 44-40 cylinder on paper, but by flattop shoots tighter groups than either one of my Uberti 44-40's with it. A fun accessory, especially if you love that round too.
When I think Borchardt I think enormous Luger predecessor.

wproct

Single-Sixer
It's a stainless grip frame with the front strap factory grooved that came on the Montero. I ordered it from Ruger.
Very cool! Just curious, how much fitting/filing was necessary to fit it to your blued steel revolver frame?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Very cool! Just curious, how much fitting/filing was necessary to fit it to your blued steel revolver frame?
When you use a grip frame that came on a gun, and of a close vintage to your gun, fitting is minimal and sometimes not even needed. Of course if you use a SS grip frame and fitting is needed, you just polish it. And you don't need to have it blued. Although I've used non stainless steel grip frames and just polish them after fitting. I've never had a high polished steel grip frame rust. The high polished surface does not offer a surface for rust to gain a foothold.

If you buy a new grip frame from Ruger it comes oversize and all surfaces need fitting and finishing.

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
... Just my preference.
Yep as it should be. My cases don't see a tumbler until I think they need it, and tumbled with primers in. Used to clean the pockets, but found it doesn't make a bit of difference to seating of the primer or accuracy of the cartridge. As you say, just my preference :) .