Security-Six vs. 19-4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
I own a 5" s&w model 27-2 I bought new around 1970. It`s a heavy beast to pack and I haven't took it out of the safe in ages. Then I have a 4" Python and that's about the same story. I have a 2 1/2" nickle Python that's too purty to scuff up.
That leaves this s&w model 66-3 3" that is a Lew Horton one of three hundred special. Currently this is the one I occasionally pack. Maybe it`s because its stainless and I don't worry about scratching it up but of the 4 .357`s it feels the best in my hand.

It feels best in your hand because it has a much smaller grip than either an N-frame Smith or an I-frame Colt (the latter's grip reach is actually longer, believe it or not.)

In my experience, the two guns that seem to fit everybody's hands are the round-butt Smith K (like your 66) and the Browning Hi-Power.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Here's one of my 3"s, BTW. Took this pic specifically to illustrate how amazingly close in size a 3" K-frame is to a .45 Commander.

LWCommM66.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
I look to Ruger first, if I don't like their offering then S&W gets the nod.

I like J and N frame Smith's

Ruger sixe's, and GP's

I own only one Colt, it oozes history, but I find the cylinder release awkward.

How lucky we are to have such fine choices. Ed

jdmb03

Bearcat
I just picked up a like new, 4" 1974 stainless Security Six. It came with the red box and manual. I paid $575. It may seem high but I've always wanted a 1974 (birth year). It's going to be my woods sidearm. Just have to pick up some Underwood 180 gr.