Security-Six vs. 19-4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have recently experienced a population explosion in my revolver department, and now have both a Security-Six and a Smith & Wesson 19-4. Both are 4 inch blued models.

It's interesting to compare the two guns, both as to how they are made, and also how they handle at the range.

The thing I find most fascinating is how Bill Ruger approached making a revolver vs. how Smith and Colt had been doing it for almost 100 years. Smiths and Colts back in the 1970's and 80's were still works of art. Beautifully blued, lots of hand fitting, actions that worked like Swiss watches. A Ruger revolver from that era looks really nice from five feet away, up close it's a bit of a different story. The fit and finish does not look cheap-no, not even close- but is nowhere near that of the Smiths and Colts.

The difference really begins, though, when you start taking the Ruger apart. Grab a dime, or a rimmed cartridge case, unscrew the grips, and in less than a minute the Ruger is apart. Without any tools whatsoever. A couple more minutes, and again no tools, and it's back together.

Try that with your Smith & Wesson revolver. :)

At the range, both the S-S and the 19 work. Really well. The 19 has a better trigger, both double and single action. The S-S is not all that far behind, though. In fact, the single action trigger is pretty close to the one on the 19.

Both guns are tight and rattle free. The sights, both front and rear, are very similar.

Accuracy? I can't tell the difference. I've had a couple of really good shooters shoot both of them on paper, and they shot both guns pretty much equally well, printing nice little cloverleaf groups.

You can buy really nice Ruger Security-Sixes for around $400-450 on Gunbroker. They are reputed to be very durable guns that will withstand a steady diet of .357 magnum ammo for many years.

The Smith & Wesson Model 19 is a prettier gun (at least when it comes to craftsmanship and fit and finish), and they seem to sell for $700 and up on Gunbroker. They tend to have triggers that are a bit nicer than on the Ruger. They also come with a caveat that they're not made to shoot a steady diet of stout .357 loads. They're really a .38 special revolver with the ability to occasionally shoot .357.

I'm glad I have the opportunity to own and shoot both.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
D1958, you have summed them up to a T, but I am surprised the Ruger shoots as well as the Smith. Mind you, I am not arguing this but I have experienced other comparisons and the Smith revolvers seemed to shoot slightly better than the Ruger counterpart. This probably needs no mention, the Rugers are always built " hell for stout" compared to Smiths and only someone unlearned or totally full of it would say otherwise.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Luckyducker said:
D1958, you have summed them up to a T, but I am surprised the Ruger shoots as well as the Smith. Mind you, I am not arguing this but I have experienced other comparisons and the Smith revolvers seemed to shoot slightly better than the Ruger counterpart. This probably needs no mention, the Rugers are always built " hell for stout" compared to Smiths and only someone unlearned or totally full of it would say otherwise.

The Ruger shoots as well for me, but I'm still not all that good with a handgun. I should have been a little more precise about the expert shooters who tried them both. One of them did shoot better with the 19. He got groups that were all touching with the Ruger, but with the Smith he got nearly one hole groups.

bearman49709

Bearcat
About four years ago I owned a 4"S-S and 4" S&W 66 ND both stainless steel, like you I found them to be very close in fit and finish and the 66 had the better trigger with the S&W just a bit better over all.

Unlike you the Smith shot better than the Ruger, not a lot but enough to send the Ruger down the road literally 100 yards to Bobs house.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
My favorite Ruger and my favorite S&W.

They just fit my hand, my style, and my shooting.

Prescut

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I can tell you this because I have both a Smith model 14 and a model 19. They are fine guns but the Model 19 is nothing more than an extended and better heat treated cylinder on a Model 14, which of course was a 38 special gun. When it comes to durability with a security-six there is no comparison. You can easily damage your model 19 by shooting heavy loads so I would avoid doing that.

bogus bill

Hunter
Okay. I was a Lockheed Aircraft Company guard for 35 years. The guns were company owned. We had Colt Official Polices, Smith & Wesson 586`s and stainless Ruger Speed Six`s all with the 4" barrels. When a guard relieved another guard you got his/her gun. Unless you checked in and was going to a post where there was no guard to relieve, and it that case we got what we wanted out of the safe. For a long time I broke the company rule and carried my personally owned old model Colt Trooper that I had put service grips on to make it look like the OP`s that we had. A gun nut could of course see the rear adjustable sight but I got away with it for years. I started doing that because two blacks tried to car jack me one night on my way to work on graveyard. I had the same uniform as our county sheriffs department with a EMPTY holster. I quartered my body so they couldn't see the empty holster, came on strong and faked them out. Later that night the same pair rolled and stabbed my neighbor boy who was in the 82nd AB and home out jogging on his first leave.
Back to the subject. Personally, I liked best the Colt OP`s but that was strictly from the standpoint they were the lightest to pack. I liked the feel of the round grips on the Ruger the best plus I liked the push button ejector as it was a little easier to use than the Smith or Colt. I wasn't thrilled with the oversized target grips all our 586`s had as they were just bulkier getting in and out of chairs,and car seats.
A girl relieved me and I opened the Speed Six and she flicked her wrist instead of closing the cylinder right! The cylinder crane was sprung and the cylinder wouldn't lock up. I never seen a colt or smith do that with abuse. Those guns were passed off 3 times a day, 21 times a week year round and I was there for 35 years. That was the only damage I seen, and it happened to be the stronger looking Ruger! We had a huge department, in good times as high as 250 officers or so. All those guns were carried more than probably most in the world but also hardly ever shot. Most of us would qualify with our own guns once a year or every six months and the few that didn't would check one out but that was about the only time they got shot.
If it was up to the company we probably wouldn't have been armed but it being a defense company we were armed by their rules. The majority of the guards when I hired in (1965) were ex or retired LE`s or Military working their retirement jobs. I was about the first to be a young type that wasn't. It all soon changed though with the Left driven Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights movement that was just getting popular. When I first hired in we had a almost 300 MAN department with NO females. 35 years later we probably had around 35 % females on the department.
I carried the #1 badge for about my last 8 or 10 years. It was/is? a good place to work with top union wages.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
I have recently experienced a population explosion in my revolver department, and now have both a Security-Six and a Smith & Wesson 19-4. Both are 4 inch blued models.

It's interesting to compare the two guns, both as to how they are made, and also how they handle at the range.

The thing I find most fascinating is how Bill Ruger approached making a revolver vs. how Smith and Colt had been doing it for almost 100 years. Smiths and Colts back in the 1970's and 80's were still works of art. Beautifully blued, lots of hand fitting, actions that worked like Swiss watches. A Ruger revolver from that era looks really nice from five feet away, up close it's a bit of a different story. The fit and finish does not look cheap-no, not even close- but is nowhere near that of the Smiths and Colts.

The difference really begins, though, when you start taking the Ruger apart. Grab a dime, or a rimmed cartridge case, unscrew the grips, and in less than a minute the Ruger is apart. Without any tools whatsoever. A couple more minutes, and again no tools, and it's back together.

Try that with your Smith & Wesson revolver. :)

At the range, both the S-S and the 19 work. Really well. The 19 has a better trigger, both double and single action. The S-S is not all that far behind, though. In fact, the single action trigger is pretty close to the one on the 19.

Both guns are tight and rattle free. The sights, both front and rear, are very similar.

Accuracy? I can't tell the difference. I've had a couple of really good shooters shoot both of them on paper, and they shot both guns pretty much equally well, printing nice little cloverleaf groups.

You can buy really nice Ruger Security-Sixes for around $400-450 on Gunbroker. They are reputed to be very durable guns that will withstand a steady diet of .357 magnum ammo for many years.

The Smith & Wesson Model 19 is a prettier gun (at least when it comes to craftsmanship and fit and finish), and they seem to sell for $700 and up on Gunbroker. They tend to have triggers that are a bit nicer than on the Ruger. They also come with a caveat that they're not made to shoot a steady diet of stout .357 loads. They're really a .38 special revolver with the ability to occasionally shoot .357.

I'm glad I have the opportunity to own and shoot both.
There's not much to add to your summary. Well done!

BTW, I own two 19s and two 66s (same gun in stainless). Have never owned a DA Ruger but wouldn't feel underarmed with one.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
Snake45, you are definitely missing out. You need to get yourself a Ruger DA right quick. :)
Can't really justify it. As I said, I have two 19s, two 66s, two Smith 28s, two Pythons, and a King Cobra.

Now, which of those should I sell to get a Ruger DA? Yeah. I thought so. :wink: :lol:

Personally, I believe we are comparing apples and oranges. I believe the S-S falls in between the 19 and a 586. If I am looking for a snub I'd choose a Speed Six. 4" and up a 686. I guess I could settle for a Security Six. No interest in 4" and up K frames. My 357 preference is definitely 686 for 4" or longer. If we are comparing a 19 and a S-S it is the Ruger.... Confused? I sure am! :?

Dave

Snake45

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
Snake45 said:
ditto1958 said:
Snake45, you are definitely missing out. You need to get yourself a Ruger DA right quick. :)
Can't really justify it. As I said, I have two 19s, two 66s, two Smith 28s, two Pythons, and a King Cobra.

Now, which of those should I sell to get a Ruger DA? Yeah. I thought so. :wink: :lol:

The 66's.
My matched pair of limited-run 3" 66s? Nope.

The correct answer, of course, is None of the Above. I wouldn't swap any of them for any THREE Ruger DAs ever made. :wink:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:

The correct answer, of course, is None of the Above. I wouldn't swap any of them for any THREE Ruger DAs ever made. :wink:

The 3" 66s I wouldn't swap either - but I'd swap a 28 for a Security Six or Speed Six in a heartbeat.

Personally, I believe we are comparing apples and oranges.

When I saw the thread title, my very first thought was, "They really are different guns."

I have a Model 19-3, made in 1973. Fine revolver, I'm a S&W collector and the 19 was a seminal design.

My SS 6" Security Six was my 21st birthday present to myself. Back in 1982. Bought it at a Gibson's discount store in Stillwater, OK. $225 out the door. That's the gun I really learned to shoot "bigger than a .22" revolvers. It's the gun I learned how to reload on. Old Lee Loader sitting on the kitchen floor with a hammer. God knows how many thousands of rounds have been through that gun.

The Security Six still lives on my side of the bed with Federal 125 grain JHP Magnums in the wheel. The S&W M19 is admired and shown off, but it lives in the safe. Probably haven't put 200 rounds through it since I bought it.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I really enjoy my six's, but my 28 Highway Patrolman has a trigger that was made in heaven. It shoots lights out accurate.

It would have to be a cold, wet, rainy, dark, and gloomy day for me to let go of any of the ones I have.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have owned or have used issued department guns of every one mentioned +. Going by what I own I mostly am Smith guy followed by Colt. I have owned but not now, DA Rugers. They ALL are capable of the job. Some prefer blonds, some brunettes. It all boils down to what hits our fancy or more likely what pops up the rare moment we have the money at hand. Sure, it would be nice if every brand with every finish and barrel length ever made was all laid out on a long table at the same time to make our comparisons and choose, but that never happens. What does happen is we buy something and later see something that also takes our fancy. At some point (me anyway) end up owning a number. And all will do the job.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I fall into the "own both" group and like it has been previously stated One is a reasonably finely semi target one and one is a plow horse made for heavy duty use.

Snake45

Hawkeye
charlesappel said:
Snake45 said:

The 3" 66s I wouldn't swap either - but I'd swap a 28 for a Security Six or Speed Six in a heartbeat.
I wouldn't.

Of all my .357s, the closest to a Ruger would be the Colt King Cobra. And I wouldn't even swap it for any three Ruger DAs ever made. Or five, for that matter.

OTOH, if I were starting over in .357 land, and couldn't find or couldn't afford an older Smith or Colt, a GP100 would definitely be on my short list. In fact, I'd probably take a GP100 over anything in the Smith catalog today.

bogus bill

Hunter
I own a 5" s&w model 27-2 I bought new around 1970. It`s a heavy beast to pack and I haven't took it out of the safe in ages. Then I have a 4" Python and that's about the same story. I have a 2 1/2" nickle Python that's too purty to scuff up.
That leaves this s&w model 66-3 3" that is a Lew Horton one of three hundred special. Currently this is the one I occasionally pack. Maybe it`s because its stainless and I don't worry about scratching it up but of the 4 .357`s it feels the best in my hand.