Second thoughts about SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BenR

Bearcat
I carry an SP101 DAO in a DeSantis Nemesis in my front pants pocket on my strong side. It conceals beautifully, and I really don't notice the weight.

I keep it loaded with either Federal LE Tactical Hydra-Shok 158 gr. JHP (1240 fps, 539 ft lbs energy) or Speer LE Gold Dot 158 gr. JHP (1235 fps, 535 ft lbs energy).

I've put plenty of both downrange with the SP101. The gun is sturdy, as you'd expect, and is balanced. Recoil with these toasty rounds is very manageable with the stock grips. As with any gun or load, practice will help you get back on target quickly for accurate follow-up shots. I don't think you can go wrong with the SP101, but you have to factor in your wardrobe, your size, etc. in the decision.

rmcnelly

Bearcat
I'm a new LCR .38+P owner and am very happy with it. I got the standard version with the ramped front sight (painted it flourescent red) and the Hogue Tamer grips. It has a very nice trigger that you can stage at the end for more accuracy. I have no concerns about the durability of the .38+P model. I think you would be very happy with the LCR, but be advised the boot grip or the Crimson Trace grips have more recoil.

--Rick

RugerRay

Bearcat
I have owned and shot both. By the way the 357-LCR is an all steel frame, cyclinder and barrel. Only the trigger housing and grip are so called plastic. The 357-LCR is one of the best shooting revolvers I have ever owned and I have owned many high grade revolvers. Ruger has a real winner in the new 357 version of the LCR. I would love to have a 4" .22 magnum made just like the newer steel frame 357-LCR.

Doesn't pocket carry, but I do carry in the 4 o'clock IWB with the 3" SP101. I like the idea of having a solid firearm if I have to shoot. Something with some weight for the recoil, but is still easily carried.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I went with the SP simply because it's all steel. The only problem I've run into is a pocket holster. I haven't run across one so far that will hide the profile and stay upright in my pocket. I'll keep looking and in the mean time I have a pancake and an IWB that both work pretty well.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Get bigger pockets. Pleated dockers work well in a biz setting. It'll be worth the effort.

SPat25w38HBWC.jpg

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008/01/meprolites-front-sight-on-ruger-sp101.html [/img]

RugerRay

Bearcat
After owning and shooting booth the SP101 and LCR-357 it is no doubt both are fine revolvers. To be honest I like the 3" GP 100 better than the SP101. What I am saying is that bigger ,heaver and stronger is not always better. The 357-LCR is very accurate for it's weight and point shooting is awesome at 7 yards or so. I have no problem shooting full house 357 loads in the LCR. AT 17 oz's empty the LCR- 357 is a strong, dependaple, lighter, (not air weight) fast handling straight shooter that you can carry all day every day. The new design of the LCR-357 is a real winner for those who choose to carry a revolver for cc.

I do not know where captainjack gets his info but when the LCR was first introduced, Concealed carry Handguns magazine did a 5000 round torture test on the LCR. They took all possible measurements prior to shooting it. They used defense rounds which were +p and after shooting the gun over 5000 times, they took more measurements. Not much changed..the cylinder/forcing cone gap grew just a little, but everything else was still very tight, other than the trigger pull which improved from all the firing. And since most persons will probably never fire 5000 rounds of ammo all at one time, or quite possibly ever during the ownership of said LCR, I do not believe you have to worry about wearing it out.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
I am small framed. The LCR/SP are too big for pocket carry. For that nothing beats an Airweight J frame. Also, I find an Airweight J frame to be easier to carry OWB in a pancake holster than the LCR/SP.

YMMV

maxpress

Buckeye
Its a carry vs shoot question.
My friend bought an lcr and went to the range with me. Plinking reloads of 158 lsw at 750fps. He shot his and me my SP. we traded for a couple cylinders and I was in a hurry to give it back. He wanted to continue to shot mine. Just an unpleasent little gun.
I dont have a problem carrying an SP or speed six. He is quite a bit smaller and it might be.
Carry alot and shoot alittle I would skip the LCR for the LCP.
shooting I will take a steel frame.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I also carry a SP101 in .357 mag. What's the problem about carrying a SP????? For me,the extra weight is nothing to me. It has protected me year round open or ccw. I have no problem with mine. I think we got people afraid of the weight between the two and the peeps complaining should try holsters before they buy the gun and fit it with the SP101.

maxpress

Buckeye
Forgot to add that a 3" SP makes a great day hike or fishing gun. Heavy bullets will deffend against most anything the lower 48 can throw at you. And it dosn get in the way.

pezo

Bearcat
Geez, get the lcr. .38+p is a pussycat in that thing. This is coming from a guy who won't shoot .357 out of his sp101 anymore. You would not regret it. I've got the boot grip model

stantheman86

Buckeye
You will be surprised what a good leather belt and a pancake holster can do for a full sized wheelgun.

A 4" GP100 got to feel so light you wouldn't even know it's there.

But I agree, sometimes you don't want to have to put a "rig" on just to run out for a half an hour. In this role, a gun you can just grab and go is invaluable. There are lots of good IWB and pocket holsters that will make something like an LCR dissapear with cargo shorts and a T-shirt.

Or you could always find an older S&W J-Frame and put a Hip Grip on it, and just stick it in the waistband of any pair of pants or shorts.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have been happily carrying a S&W Centennial Airweight (modern translation-642) since 1960. I lost the first one some years ago (pocket carry) and finally found another as a replacement. I have tried at least a dozen small revolvers and pistols over the years including the LCP (swapped it to daughter #2 to get my Colt Pocket model back-just too small) but I always return to the old standby. It cannot be beat for a lightweight carry weapon either in the pocket or in a trim DeSantis holster. The LCP may be just as good. I just do not intend to change. Then again, I intend to look at the LC9 tomorrow. May buy, but never trade the little Smith. As others have said, LCR for carry, SP for more shooting. I would love to have a 4-5 inch SP for a trail gun. Best wishes, jack

yamalink

Bearcat
I pocket-carried a LCR for a year and it was okay for my frame and pant pockets. The weight is nice and conducive to never forgetting at home. I'm just not a fan of pocket carry; taking it in and out while driving, and then putting it back in while hoping no one sees me in the parking lot.

Having said that I would rather carry OWB than pocket. Find a belt and holster which fits your frame and the weight of any firearm heavier than an LCR is an afterthought. The LCR was still too heavy for pocket carry in my walking sweats/lounge pants and would pattern or drag the weekend lazy pants down (I'm only 170 with a 32" waist). Now on my hikes and walks I carry OWB in the same position my idpa/uspsa game guns are holstered.

As others have stated it is personal opinion, but I prefer a GP100 or SP101 for my outdoor adventures while carrying.

ronto

Hunter
I carry the 2 1/4" DAO with Hogue MonoGrips in my Levi jeans front pocket in a Mika holster every day. Conceals well and is not too heavy for me...After years of this method of carry it may be that I'm just used to it, but I actually forget it's there most of the time.