Screwdrivers for Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USAFA71

Bearcat
Does anyone make a set of Gunsmithing screwdrivers specifically for the Ruger Blackhawk? There is a company that makes a set for Marlin lever actions but I can't remember who.

I know I can file down screwdrivers to fit, and I have a Chapman set of bits for most of my guns, but the bit extensions are too wide for the frame screws just behind the trigger, and I don't have the time or equipment to file down several screwdrivers to fit. Don't want to bugger the screws and scratch the frame whenever I decide to detail strip the guns. Any suggestions?

32shooter

Blackhawk
Here are a couple of options.

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Screwdriver-Gunsmithing-Screwdrivers/dp/B00L9XZUB6

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/ruger-single-action-screwdriver-prod25459.aspx

over all these years, since the mid 1960s, spending time ,training at 3 different gun shops, 4 different factories and spending 3 summers at Camp Perry back in the early,mid 70;s most ALL the gunsmiths I worked with always made up their OWN screwdrivers for any and all DIFFERENT applications, by modifying the tips in some ,such manner.. the armorers from 4 branches of the military also showed me "how & why" ( as well as various jigs and fixtures!!)...........the slot "fit" has to be exact, no Craftsman or Snap-On drivers of various sets and sizes cures all.......make 'em up as you need and have the need to use them....the "sets" like Chapmen to Brownells and on and on fit MANY but in some cases like the Rugers, they do NOT extend long or far enough to clear the grip frame...Bonanza, and many other makers are cheap enough to buy in sets and grind away to "fit"...................I cannot remember just HOW MANY different screwdrivers we had on the 'bench' at our shops,mostly on a rack, set up in the center of the bench so any of the gunsmiths could get at and use what they KNEW 'fit" and fit what......Brownings, Winchesters, Purdy, H&H, and on and on and on.... 8) :roll: :wink:

Merry Christmas

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have and use the Brownell tips for the Rugers. Work fine for me. I have a Chapman set I use for work but like the Brownells a whole lot more for guns.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Brownells big set has everything I ever need for my Rugers. Add the Brownells extra thin magna tip bits if you work on English shotguns.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have used Forster/Bonanza's for years. Most fit right out of the box and if not they are easy to modify.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/751576/forster-8-piece-gunsmith-screwdriver-set