Scope level doesn’t fit in chamber for installation.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BadMatrix

Single-Sixer
I am about to install a scope on a Gen2 American .300 blackout.
I have always used the wheeler bubble level and the torque wrench on all my rifles.

Except…… the chamber bubble doesn't fit in the chamber. Always something.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3420.jpeg
    IMG_3420.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 33
You could use one level, sitting on the bottom half of a scope ring.

When the rifle is level, fasten your other bubble level somewhere else on the rifle.

Make sure you fasten the second one so that it reads level at the same time as the one on your scope ring.

MidwayUSA used to sell a leveling kit under their Wheeler brand. IIRC, it had at least two bubble levels, one of which was in a fixture that could be clamped onto the barrel.

Level rifle using flat surface (bottom half of scope ring), clamp second level on barrel, adjust so they both indicate level, simultaneously.

Secure rifle in place (rifle vise, cleaning cradle, etc.). Remove the first level, then use the barrel mounted one to verify the rifle remains level.

Then use a plumb bob hanging on the other side of the room to rotate your scope until vertical crosshair matches plumb bob line.

Rifle level, crosshairs level, eye relief correct… carefully snug it all down, maintaining square/level orientation the whole time.

Time to hit the range! 🤠

There are lots of ways to accomplish this, and I've used several ways, at different times. Keep looking in books and online, you'll find numerous methods.

As Dan (rugerguy) says, "Neatness counts!" 😎

FWIW, I've never seen a bubble placed in the ejection port like the OP's picture, either(?).

I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard of 'a chamber bubble' and/or it's use.
I have used a 6" carpenter's level on the top turret now and then but generally use MK 1 eyeball levelling device. FWIW, with a short range round like the 300BO, having the reticle a degree or two off level isn't going to affect the use. Much more important for a longer range shooter.

BadMatrix

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard of 'a chamber bubble' and/or it's use.
I have used a 6" carpenter's level on the top turret now and then but generally use MK 1 eyeball levelling device. FWIW, with a short range round like the 300BO, having the reticle a degree or two off level isn't going to affect the use. Much more important for a longer range shooter.
Yes I agree. Thank you.

s4s4u

Hunter
I just level the receiver and then hang a string in front of the scope. I have seen turret housings that weren't perfectly square to the reticle and I would never trust the top of a turret cap to be true.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is the handiest tool in my toolbox, from scopes, to fences, to picture frames. ;)
Too many other variables to get worked up over scope mounting for hunting. Sometimes they'll cancel each other out, sometimes they'll be additive. Ammo, barrel whip, external ballistics, the shooter, etc., etc. You can drive yourself crazy while spending a lot of money trying to get to shooting utopia. :)

BadMatrix

Single-Sixer
Too many other variables to get worked up over scope mounting for hunting. Sometimes they'll cancel each other out, sometimes they'll be additive. Ammo, barrel whip, external ballistics, the shooter, etc., etc. You can drive yourself crazy while spending a lot of money trying to get to shooting utopia. :)
Just want to arrive at a bare minimum and am only here because it is a Ruger and most Rugers I have easily accommodate the level as designed but this Ruger doesn't have the flat ledge on the chamber that all MY rifles have. So there won't be any getting worked upness today, just want to see WHAT everyone else who has the new gen2 american says. If you don't have the new gen2, you might not understand what the heck I am talkin 'bout willis. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Latest posts