scope for 280

Help Support Ruger Forum:

257fan

Bearcat
I just bought a Ruger in .280.I will use I for deer hunting. My shots will be 100 yards or less.I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

black029

Single-Sixer
A 2X7 Leupold VX 1 should get you where you want to be. Use the higher setting for sighting in, the lower one for hunting.

Al James

Hunter
I tend to put 3-9's or bigger on everything unless trying to build a lightweight/compact setup. Great choice on the chambering BTW! The 280 [7mm Remington Express] is a fantastic cartridge. I've always liked the 7mm[.284] in everything from 7x57, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem mag, to the mighty STW. But if I had to chose one it would be the 280 Rem. Did you get a newer hawkeye? Let us know how it shoots.

black029

Single-Sixer
I guess we should ask you first, why are your shots going to be less than 100 yards? Are you in thick woods, or in a tree stand where the range is going to be limited? The 6x42 is a great low light scope, so if you're in a stand at sunrise or sunset, that would be a great choice. If you're knocking around in the brush of Potter County Pennsylvania, a six power might not be your best choice.
I mentioned the 2x7 VX1 because it's solid and versatile and a great value.
But the skiy is the limit when it comes to scopes

dad11345

Bearcat
I am curious why you chose a caliber with long range potential for 100 yards and under? This is not criticism.

500jrh

Single-Sixer
My 280 is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, and it is topped with a 2.5-8X36 Leupold Vari-X III Boone and Crockett. A little more pricey ($480ish) than the the VXI or VXII models. For all around hunting 2-7X is my favorite magnification range as well. I have a Leupold Rifleman series ($180) on a TC Carbine 7X30 Waters, a Leupold VXII ($280) on a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H, and a new Redfield Revolution (by Leupold, also $180 or so) atop a Ruger 77 Compact 308, all in 2-7X. Each of these scopes are plenty bright and clear for hunting right up to last light. There are differences in clarity and light gathering ability, but any will do nicely during legal shooting light. I've never been a fan of fixed power scopes, but to each his own. I don't sit in blinds much either, I am on the move in all types of terrain and cover, so shots can vary from 8 (my shortest to date) to 400yds (with a solid rest, my personal limit). Good luck, there are tons of quality options these days. I tend to stick with USA made products as much as possible, that's why I gravitate towards Leupold.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Just sold a #1 in .280 and bought a Hawkeye All-Weather .280 instead. It got a Burris FullField II 3-9x with Ballistic Plex reticle, same as most of my other rifles. You can generally get them for about $160 on the web.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I have two .280's which are rarely limited to 100yard shots. One wears a Leupold VX3 2.5 - 8X which I like using this rifle for speed goats and whitetail. Son primarily uses the other .280 and it wears a Bushnell 4200 elite 2.5 - 10X, that scope is a little heavy but it is every bit as good as the Leupold. Both of these scopes on low power easily deal with low light close quarter shoots. I have a Leupold VX3 1.75 - 6X on a 35 Whelen that scope is a keeper and runs well on the Whelen. Budget can be a consideration, but there is some pretty good scopes that can be had in the 200 - 300 $ range. I have a Bushnell 3200 on a .257 Roberts. 3.5 - 10X that we use on whitetail, speed goats and doubles down as a dandy coyote rifle with 75 grain pills screaming out of it. Even at low power it is pretty handy. It comes in some lower power versions. Nice scope for about $200, or less if you find them on special.

good luck, If you can put a little extra money into your glass you will be happy in the long run.

Shoot straight and shoot often

wwb

Hunter
One consideration that nobody has mentioned is how the stock is configured. I have a pre-64 Winchester M70 that had a Leupold 2-7X33 on it. Got a deal on a Ziess 3-9X40 that I couldn't pass up.... when I went to mount it on the Winchester, the objective bell was on the barrel before the scope was down in the rings. Not a problem.... just get some taller rings, right? Mounted it with taller rings and discovered that with my cheek on the comb of the stock where it belongs, my eye was nowhere near centered in the scope. Had to pick my head up to see through the scope..... the Leupold is back on the M70, and the Ziess is back in its box waiting for the right rifle.

A large objective, if the stock isn't configured for it, is not a good thing - you need a pretty high comb.

WJU

Bearcat
The Leupold VX-1 or VX-2 in 2-7x would be perfect. My favorite all around scope is the Leupold Vari x-III or newer VX-3 2.5-8x. They will work from close range to as far as you care to shoot. I have killed elk out to 350 Yards with my 2.5-8x set at 4x. Usually to only time I turn any scope up to high power (for me that is anything above 4x) is when I sight in

Texas629

Bearcat
Recently bought a Redfield 4-12X40mm, couldn't be happier with sharp, bright and dead on. Heck of a scope for $250 more or less.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Just a note in response to the args for and against a fixed, 6x, 2-7x, and other options. Under 100 yards isn't far. Unless you are target shooting or picking out a hole through limbs, you don't need much magnification.

My Marlin levers are basically 100-200 yards rifles. One wears a Leupold M8-4x,the other two wear Leupold Vari-X II/VX-II 2-7x scopes. I like them a lot (both the fixed 4x and 2-7x variables) for the intended usage and would highly recommend them.