Scope rings for M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I finally got a scope for my 308 M77 RSI. I picked up a used VX III in 2.5-8x36 off the Campfire Forums, and now I need rings. I would prefer a horizontal split QD ring like Leupold's QRW, but obviously I need them for the Ruger built in bases. Any such animal? If so, has anyone used them and like them?

Secondly, I would like as low of height as possible. If I end up having to go with Ruger rings, what numbers am I looking for?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2DE617BA-B901-4934-9E90-E4B30314EF73.jpeg
    2DE617BA-B901-4934-9E90-E4B30314EF73.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 81

Joe S.

Hunter
Thanks for the picture. Looks like low would work for me assuming i could position it behind the rear sight.

There are multiple variables on scope ring size. My guess would be a 4 and a 5. Depending on scope position, you might need more or less clearance depending on what eye relief you choose, and that could change the position of the objective bell or the taper of the objective, over the rear sight, requiring a higher or lower scope. In the meantime... I'm gonna go see what I'm using.

Okay... Here's a #5 rear ring and #4 front ring, with a 40mm scope on a MkII with no sights. There's roughly .35" between the objective bell and the top of the barrel.

and a larger view of your scope and barrel clearance needs...

Joe S.

Hunter
Has anyone used these?

Joe S.

Hunter
Definitely a consideration. I may have some 4/5 stainless rings i could try and check clearances. Especially before I pay $150 should I decide to get those I posted above!

Latest posts