Scope choices for Gunsite Scout Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GUNFUNCO

Bearcat
Hi folks-

been a member but lurking here on and off.

Anyone have any experience with different scout scopes to use on this gun.

I currently have a Leupold Scout scope on another gun and like it OK but I know that Burris makes a Scout scope and a variable Scout scope as well.

Has anyone had both brands and do you have a preference?

Any other brands I should consider looking at?

Thanks for your input.

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
I have Leupold on my wife's Frontier, nice and is leupold

I have Burris scout on my Remington 700 custom scout, has worked fine for 16 years

I have the Leatherwood 2-7 with German #3 reticle on my Ruger GSR. I really like it. Is glass as good as either Leupold or Burris? Nope but is very good for the price point.

Leatherwood no longer lists the German reticle but has a new BDC reticle for this scope specifically for the GSR.

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/ler-series-scope/

http://hi-luxoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/SGNScopingScout-1.pdf

Houston

Hello,

I am using this Nikon Encore 2.5-8x28EER M BDC.
It is variable but I keep it zoomed out for most uses.
It is a little on the large size.
When you zoom it in to the maximum, it greatly reduces the target area that you can see.
Very narrow field of view.
At first I had a problem with this but have learned to keep it zoomed out for most uses.
If I am going to take a longer shot and want more magnification, I take care to not over zoom and loose sight of my target and have to start scanning for it.
This method works well for me.
Also, as you change the magnification of the scope, I have to adjust the distance of my eye to the scope.
This bothered me at first but I have now learned what is required.
I do like being able to zoom in for a better look at the target. Coyote hunting can be challenging.

GUNFUNCO

Bearcat
Thanks for the help to all that offered opinions.

I decided to try the Leatherwood variable and it should be delivered here in the next couple days. I already have some quick release rings I want to try.

Since I already had the Leupold Scout scope, I thought I would try something a little different. The Leupold is a good scope but I thought I would try this lower cost variable since I kind of shot the budget getting the rifle.

I have tried some BSA scopes lately and they seem to be OK but I didn't see that they made any scout-style scopes and since I wasn't planning to do any real "long range" shooting with this rifle, I thought a lwer cost optic may do the job.

Also thanks buckeye for taking the time to take a few photos to show my your setup.

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!

Major T

Blackhawk
I think that loss of field of view (as compared to a regular scope of similar power) is just the nature of the beast with scout scopes. I tried Burris and a Leupold a few years ago and went back to a conventional mount on the rifle I was using as a scout.

Jack

GUNFUNCO

Bearcat
I boresighted it last night but I had to use a magnetic boresighter because the spuds weren't long enough unless I removed the muzzlebrake.

I had my scope maxed out to the right to get it boresighted iand it made the field of view a little funny. I just shot it and had to bring it back to the left to get it on target. This brought back the full field of view.

I will fine tune it later but right now I have it down to minute of soup can at about 40 yards off the back porch. Gotta get out and try for a deer with the muzzleloader.

I was able to remove the scope and reset it after a few shots with the iron sights and it went back to zero as best as I can tell. I'll check it further when I get out the paper targets and my portable shooting bench on a warmer day.