School me on the LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grapony

Bearcat
I had a KT PF9 a few years ago and traded it for a Taurus Mil pro 9. I have the urge to trade it for a single stack 9 and I have my sight on the LC9. How's the trigger pull on the LC? Is it stiff like the KT? Thats the one thing I didn't like about the KT. Overall are these pretty good pistols?

Kevets

Bearcat
Stiff trigger. Otherwise very little to complain about, just personal preference from there.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
Not trying to stage the trigger works best for me. Just one long quick pull?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cubby said:
Not trying to stage the trigger works best for me. Just one long quick pull?

That'll work well from an accuracy standpoint .... :D

REV

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Take what I have to say with these caveats: I don't own an LC9, and I have not shot extensively with one.

When I was looking to purchase a CC weapon, I looked seriously at the LC9. I rented one at the range.

The gun felt a little too small in the hand. Nothing I couldn't get used to.

It was nicely concealable.

Accuracy was good for the type of weapon it is. More than adequate for carry.

Recoil was excessive. Nothing I couldn't get used to, again.

Trigger was horrible IMO. Way too long and hard, and not smooth enough. The smoothness might get there with use, but the travel and pull weight would take mods I am not comfortable with doing on a carry weapon.

My impression was that this would be an acceptable weapon to carry, but would be something of a chore to spend time at the range with. I want my carry weapon to be enjoyable enough that I want to go to the range with it.

Having said this, everyone is different. For many, the trigger is fine. Go and shoot one before making your decision. You will probably know pretty quickly whether or not this weapon is for you or not.

I ended up with an SR9c. It is not that much more difficult to conceal than the single stacks IMO. The trigger is great for a carry weapon. I have ended up putting more rounds through it in 6 months than I would have imagined before I bought it.

Again, everyone is different. You need to find out for yourself, and just handling one at the gun store is not going to give you the answer. Go shoot one.

If you are like me, and are used to a short, crisp, light trigger. If you really don't like DA trigger pulls, then this gun may not be for you. A lot depends on your trigger preferences and how important that slightly smaller package is for carry.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
What I like most about the LC9 is that all aspects of the gun are melted so that there is nothing to snag while drawing the gun. The trigger takes some getting used to, but overall I think it's a pretty good gun. Light, thin, easy to carry even in the pocket.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I'm enjoying mine, great to shoot, LONG trigger pull, but smooth and accurate.

LC9.jpg

area338

Bearcat
The long trigger pull is kind of reassuring when your are stuffing it in your pants for concealment purposes. I had originally planned to have the Galloway trigger job done but I actually like the action now.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
I just recieved my LC9 a week ago and have shot 500 rounds in three sessions through it with three cleanings between.

This is my first modern semi auto pistol, I shot Black powder pistols for years before this, so double action is really new to me.

If i sound like a newby it is because i am.. a total nugget.
So take my words as such.
Here are a few notes from my brief time so far with the LC9.
That is one long trigger pull, but it is smooth and for a newby like me it is fine.
The trigger feels even smother now at 500 rounds but that could be in my head too.

My black powder guns have a hair trigger by comparison.. i mean the dang thing moves 10/1000 of an inch and BOOM
The LC9 moves 3/4 of an inch before BOOM

Yes, it has been quite an adjustment.

Recoil is very manageable. I actually am more accurate than i thought I would be at this point but still need a lot of practice.
I can hit a man sized object 10 out of 10 (er should i say 7 out of 7) times at 20 yards with this pistol at this point.. lets leave it at that for now.

The slide release is still almost impossible to activate with an empty magazine.
With a full magazine the slide release works quite easily.

This was a distinction the gun store folks did not understand. None of them owned the gun so they did not realise that the full magazine removes tension from the slide release sping.
Even if they had shot the gun they might not have been able to make the distinction.
Essentially the "last shot hold open" mechanism is what makes the slide difficult to release with an empty magazine.
Since you are always gonna load a full magazine the issue is irelevant in a practical sense.
At the gun store ,with an empty gun, it seems like a malfunction or a quirk.
In real life after 500 rounds the LC9 slide release works beautifully with a flick of a finger on a loaded magazine.
Ditto for the manual safety.

My rear sight came loose at round 200 during my first shooting session.
I tightened it with an allen wrench and 300 rounds later it has stayed put without loctite.

I shot a few hollow point defense rounds(Remington Golden Saber 124 gr) through it early on and had trouble loading the first round.
Now at 500 rounds the hollow points load easily on that first rack so long as it is a swift clean rack.. slowly racking the first round makes the hollowpoint dig into the magazine instead of climb into the feed ramp of the barrel.

After 500 rounds i have not had any FTFire, FTE or FTFeed.
This is using Blazer 115 gr FMJ, Remington 115 FMJ, Federal Eagle 115 FMJ, Remington Golden Saber JHP 124 gr, and Federal Hydo-shock 134 gr JHP's.
I have only shot 20 of the hollow point defensive rounds through the gun. The rest of those 500 rounds are round nose target ammo.

The only modification i have made to the gun was remove the magazine safety. It actually took longer to watch the you-tube video on how to do this than it actually took to do it.

I have noticed the slide seems a bit loose when fully retracted but is totally tight when locked in the firing position and for the 1/4 inch or so when the slide and barrel travel backwards together. I assume the bullet has already left the barrel by this time.

The only other wear issue I have is the bluing of the breech block is wearing off due to contact with the slide.
As a side note, my co-workers H & K USP 40, bought on the same day as mine and with exactly the same amount of rounds through it, shows the same loss of bluing on the breechblock.

On a final note, I actually like the Loaded Chamber Indicator... Yes, I am aware that statement is sacriledge.
For a newby like me, I feel more comfortable with an extra reminder of the state of my gun. Yes, I always rack the slide and make it safe anyways. But for the times it is loaded, such as during the night, it is nice to have that tactile reminder of the state of the gun in the dark.

So far i like my Ruger LC9.

This is saying a lot because I did not like my previous Ruger rifle, the Mini 30, due to it not being capable of firing cheap Russian ammo reliably.
I know, i did not do my homework on that one and it is not Rugers Fault. They specifically state only American brass through the Mini 30.. but i digress.
Anyhow, my second try at a Ruger product is so far, a very happy one.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
grapony said:
I had a KT PF9 a few years ago and traded it for a Taurus Mil pro 9. I have the urge to trade it for a single stack 9 and I have my sight on the LC9. How's the trigger pull on the LC? Is it stiff like the KT? Thats the one thing I didn't like about the KT. Overall are these pretty good pistols?
About the same. They are both hammer firing systems so the trigger pull is heavy. Look for a striker system like Taurus slim, Bersa BP9, S&W Shield, and there's others. With that said, the trigger on the LC9 can be improved but ......

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I had one of the earlier LC 9s which had a few issues and worked through them, I never really got a long with it very well. I replaced it with a S&W Shield (9mm) which I have become very fond of. The minimal increase in cost is well worth the cost.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
One more thought on trigger performance. Don't forget that by law guns must be assembled by hand, supposedly by qualified gunsmiths. So unfortunately the human factor can and does creep in, even at Ruger. That why you can pick up 5 LC9s and get a different trigger performance with each one. In my case, I found that the final stacking caused by the firing pin blocker was both VERY heavy and so gritty that it had an almost jerky motion. The LC9 turned into a project gun for me. After completely disassembling the slide I found lots of unfinished areas. I spent lots of time sanding, filing, and buffing every surface of the firing pin, the firing pin channel, the firing pin blocker, the blocker channel and I capped it off by lightening the blocker spring (from over 5 lbs to about 2 lbs). When I finished it still had a long heavy pull (that's okay with me) but it was smooth without any feel of stacking when the blocker disengaged. By the way, these are things Ruger wouldn't do for me...I asked.